SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:30 PM
Southeast Alaska
Joined Mar 2008
17 Posts
Discussion
Dynaflite Butterfly glow to electric coversion

Hi,

Now that I'm retired I am going to get back into building after a lapse of 40+ years. My first project is going to be the 99" Dynaflite Butterfly, which is basically a powered sailplane. According to what I've read it should have a weight of 3.5 to 4 pounds when finished. The recommended power is a .10 to .20 glow engine, but I would like to use an electric outrunner motor. After searching the Internet (especially the modeling forums), I've come up with two possibilities: the AXI 2820/10 or the E-Flite Power.15. I'm looking for something with moderate power. Any comments or other suggestions would be appreciated.

I am also thinking of getting 2 Hitec HS-225MG Mighty Mini BB MG Servos. Would these be the right size for this plane?

I also plan on asking some construction questions in the "Bullder's Workshop" section of RC Groups.

Again, I would appreciate any suggestins, comments, etc.

Thanks.
rsbrown1 is offline Find More Posts by rsbrown1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:45 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,450 Posts
Hi - and welcome back to the hobby.
Have you seen this range? They are good. I have used three of varying sizes and been pleased with both price and performance.

http://www.allelectricrc.co.uk/vorte...unner-18-c.asp

I don't know the model but it sounds as if you'll be using a folding prop and not pulling a lot of power.
One thought that comes to mind when I note you're in Alaska is that Lithium Polymer cells have been know to die without warning below 0 degrees. I have not had this happen myself (because I have become rather cissy about getting cold myself!) but I gather pre-warming before flight is a defence.

This is another good site for cheap electric power items and the service is excellent... my last order came the next morning.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/servo-c-23...518b3egd1634f7

I have used Hitek servos and found them fine, but GiantCod do an unmarked standard servo at about 3 which looks like a Futaba 3003 minus label. Any standard servo should be well up to the task.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Mar 16, 2009, 01:33 PM
Southeast Alaska
Joined Mar 2008
17 Posts
Hi eye4wings,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check them out. I ordered something from the U.K. the other day and the shipping cost to the U.S. seemed very reasonable.

As for the Lipo batteries.....As I've gotten older I don't enjoy being cold either so I probably wouldn't be flying in the winter. In any case I live in the "banana belt" of Alaska (Southeast Alaska) and it's only been below 0 degrees F twice in the 40 years I've lived here. Even so, the winters are wet, nasty, and dark so it's a good time to stay indoors and build =-)

Thanks again.

Rod
Old Mar 16, 2009, 02:38 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbrown1
Hi,

Now that I'm retired I am going to get back into building after a lapse of 40+ years. My first project is going to be the 99" Dynaflite Butterfly, which is basically a powered sailplane. According to what I've read it should have a weight of 3.5 to 4 pounds when finished. The recommended power is a .10 to .20 glow engine, but I would like to use an electric outrunner motor. After searching the Internet (especially the modeling forums), I've come up with two possibilities: the AXI 2820/10 or the E-Flite Power.15. I'm looking for something with moderate power. Any comments or other suggestions would be appreciated.

I am also thinking of getting 2 Hitec HS-225MG Mighty Mini BB MG Servos. Would these be the right size for this plane?

I also plan on asking some construction questions in the "Bullder's Workshop" section of RC Groups.

Again, I would appreciate any suggestins, comments, etc.

Thanks.
Hello and welcome back. If I were doing a Butterfly, I would use the Gforce Power 25 (same as E-flite only lower price) and Hitec HS81MG servos rather than the 225's. Nothing wrong with the 225's just saving weight.

For your info: The Gforce motors are available from Valuehobby.com
I have 4 different size of their motors and am completely satisfied with them.

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:46 PM
Southeast Alaska
Joined Mar 2008
17 Posts
Hi sarg96,

Thanks for the suggestions. The Gforce motors seem to have a very reasonable price. It would probably be a good one to start with.

I'm just getting back into things after a long absence and thus servo business is somewhat baffling. There are so many brands and types and I didn't have a clue as to how much torque was required to move the control surfaces of the Butterfly. I ended up looking at one of the "combos" sold by an on-line hobby dealer to see which servo they sold with the Butterfly and how much torque it produced. With that information and suggestions from members of this forum I'm beginning to get an idea of what's needed.

Thanks again.

Rod
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:03 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,321 Posts
My first rc airplane was a butterfly with OS fs20 . It is a big lumbering plane . Leave the small servos in the little planes , this plane would not notice the extra 2oz . Standard servos are the ticket . I would have liked more power to pull away from the ground possibly but I never had a problem taking off the grass . Good luck Rod keep us posted

James
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:06 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg96
Hello and welcome back. If I were doing a Butterfly, I would use the Gforce Power 25 (same as E-flite only lower price) and Hitec HS81MG servos rather than the 225's. Nothing wrong with the 225's just saving weight.

For your info: The Gforce motors are available from Valuehobby.com
I have 4 different size of their motors and am completely satisfied with them.

sarg96
Hs81 is much weaker than the 225 .
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:08 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
With an OS.25 FSR (not 4-stroke... predecessor to the FX) the Butterfly was tons of fun.

Inverted passes dragging the rudder were so common that I had to put a skid plate on top of the rudder.

That was before i modified one and put ailerons and flaps on. Stretched the wing to 103 inches and put a .40 in the nose.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 21, 2009, 04:40 AM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
718 Posts
I had a butterfly when they first came out built it and electrified it , with a speed 400 with 10-1 planetery gear box......used 12 x800 sanyos...a great combination,

these days with a brushless and lipos you would have an even better machine go for it

urs (switzerland
urs is offline Find More Posts by urs
Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:04 AM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolwitz
Hs81 is much weaker than the 225 .

I realize that. But you should have noticed I said IF I WERE DOING A BUTTERFLY.

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:01 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,321 Posts
Ok sarge .
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:38 AM
Idaho Falls, Id
Joined Jun 2003
161 Posts
Butterflys are hard to beat. Especially electric. mine is going on 7 years.

Bob
UltraBob is offline Find More Posts by UltraBob
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:48 AM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C550Driver
Butterflys are hard to beat. Especially electric. mine is going on 7 years.

Bob
put some trim color on that red overcast
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:09 PM
Idaho Falls, Id
Joined Jun 2003
161 Posts
I know, I know. It needs something. :-)

Bob
UltraBob is offline Find More Posts by UltraBob
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:51 PM