HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2001, 08:52 PM
new rochelle, ny
Joined Dec 2000
96 Posts
Help w/ old Futaba Radio

I have an old Futaba radio (Conqest 6 chanel FM FP-T6NFK) It is stamped as being manufactured in April 1991 and has a gold sticker on the back. Is it OK to use this radio (Frequency 72.410)or do I send it to the scap heap??? All help greatly appreciated.
ewhahn is offline Find More Posts by ewhahn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2001, 08:57 PM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Your radio is legit. You should have it serviced, particularly the bateries and a a frequency check. You can buy FMA receivers, batteries, and servos and keep using the transmitter as long as it lasts.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Old Jun 11, 2001, 12:12 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,253 Posts
You bet! that's a very good unit.. dosen't have any of the computer gizmos but you don't really need them or the current they suck.. Futaba batteries are legendary for their low quality/life. Replace them with a set of Sanyos or even (gasp!) alkalines as they give even better range and are instantly replaceable (no charge problems)
I have a couple of Conquests and they show no sign of ever dying, even have a FG series from '75 that works as new for schoolyard flying (yes it's not allowed)
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 11, 2001, 12:32 PM
Ste-Therese, Qc, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
69 Posts
Hehehe! Good point about computer gadgets The only gadget that is worth having is an LCD clock/timer. A timer is nice to have to evaluate e-plane performances or to follow your club's restrictions on flight durations for those crowded channels.

I do have a circa 1990 Attack 4 radio set and I had to change the Tx Ni-Cd's after a year of inaction (they leaked, dang!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bare:
You bet! that's a very good unit.. dosen't have any of the computer gizmos but you don't really need them or the current they suck..
Spiff is offline Find More Posts by Spiff
Old Jun 11, 2001, 06:44 PM
Bill Cartwright
Biloxi MS
Joined Feb 2001
47 Posts
I am Flying with two FG's that are AM and narrowbanded and gold stickered by Radio South in Pensacola. No problems. One FMA Rx and one Futuba. Check them out. Great service and just good folks!
http://www.wtp.net/DBEST/radiosouth/RS1.html

rcnut65 is offline Find More Posts by rcnut65
Old Jun 11, 2001, 06:48 PM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
Your lucky to have the sticker. I have a similar model which is now trash because it can no longer be narrow banded. Seems to me manufacturing did a little lobbying.
-fish
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
Old Jun 11, 2001, 11:50 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
"can no longer be narrowbanded"?? Please hold your discussion with someone other than the factory service center. I think you will receive a different response. I've had no problem whatever getting wideband transmitters narrowbanded as recently as this winter.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Old Jun 11, 2001, 11:55 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
308 Posts
Radio Shack has a battery holder that fits in tha back of that conquest for a couple of bucks. Take the connector off of your bad battery pack and solder it onto your new battery holder. I used the rechargable alkaline batteries from walmart in mine. They are a lot cheaper than nicads, and have 1.5volts. More power!!!
tripster is offline Find More Posts by tripster
Old Jun 12, 2001, 05:59 AM
new rochelle, ny
Joined Dec 2000
96 Posts
Thanks for all your great advice. I used the radio several years ago when I was a (GASP) slimer. I have seen the light and am now really enjoying the hobby with electrics. All the old flying sites that I used to get ejected from due to noise are now once again "flyable" due to the nearly silent electrics. People who see me fly are always astonished when I tell tham the planes fly on batteries, not glow fuel.

Knocking the dust off my old radios, I'm glad to hear that with a little servicing I can still use my Conquest...(really want to use the dual rates for some awsome axial rolls) Thanks again...Eric
ewhahn is offline Find More Posts by ewhahn