Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:02 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
4,463 Posts
Cool
Scale 3 & 4-Blade Variable Pitch Props

Great scale looks - variable pitch
Ground adjustable variable pitch prop for scale airplanes. 9-1/2" diameter and a range of from 5" to 15" of pitch. In its stock form a pitch of 10" is automatically set without the need of a pitch gauge. To set other pitches each prop includes a wooden pitch gauge. A tab must be removed from the base of each blade to change the pitch to other than 10". Each prop set includes the pre-painted set of blades, a set of decals for you to install, a scale chrome plated plastic hub and spinner, prop retention screws. All that is required is the purchase of a prop adapter for your chosen application. Adapters for 3, 3.2, 4, and 5mm are available separately.

For more information and to watch the video click HERE

Use this thread to discuss any and all things related to Scale 3 & 4-Blade Variable Pitch Props
Jason Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:33 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
166 Posts
I just finished assembling the propeller and it looks really good. I am going to install it on a ParkZone T-28. Are the decals peel and stick or do you soak them in water or dry transfer?
bettsmums is offline Find More Posts by bettsmums
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:32 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
4,463 Posts
The decals are water transfer. You'll peel the clear plastic off, place the decal where you want it, wet the back, wait a bit and then slide the backing off the decal.

Thanks,
Jason Cole
Jason Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:30 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,834 Posts
What kind of power can these props handle?
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Mar 15, 2009, 09:50 PM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
428 Posts
I bought two of these and love the scale look, but I can not rotate the props to change the pitch. The props slide into a slot and prevents them from rotating. I can see where there is space in the screw hole, but the sloted portion does not allow any movement. Is there something I am missing?
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:03 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
740 Posts
if you need to change the pitch, you must cut the tab off. This will allow it to rotate. You will need to make some kind if template to make sure you get each blade the same pitch. I think they will have a pitch gauge soon.

Chris
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:21 AM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104
if you need to change the pitch, you must cut the tab off. This will allow it to rotate. You will need to make some kind if template to make sure you get each blade the same pitch. I think they will have a pitch gauge soon.

Chris
Can you provide some images? I would expect that a prop being marketed as variable pitch should not require modifications like cutting tabs off to make it adjustable. There is nothing in the instructions that indicate the need for cutting anything. There is a pitch gauge, but it is not very intuative. It might be a good idea to follow up the product with some detailed instructions for adjusting the pitch and using the prop pitch guage.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 02:41 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
As soon as someone gets a chance to try these out if you could give some numbers on amp draw and thrust if at all possible that would be great!

The video shows one of them on a Cessna looking plane with a regular spinner, but I don't see any spinners on the HL website for these. Does anyone know where to get them, or ones that will work?
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:21 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
166 Posts
I have the three bladed prop installed on a ParkZone T-28. The motor and speed control are stock. I set the pitch to the minimum setting which is easy to do as you just twist it to the stop and tighten the screws. You also need the listed shaft adapter as the stock T-28 is too short for the hub thickness. I am using a Rhino 2250 3S1P LiPo and am pulling 256 watts static. I don't know how much thrust but the T-28 is climbing very well as is not lacking power. The speed was also impressive. My T-28 is a little heavier than stock because I added flaps and retracts. The weight is 39 ounces RTF and it will not hover.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:07 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,158 Posts
Wblacker, I also could not figure out how to adjust the pitch untill I reread the HL instructions. You must cut off the little tab at the base of each prop so that it can rotate in the hub. Untill you do that, it will remain locked in place. I am still trying to figure out how to use the pitch adjustment guage. I am sure it will be simple once we figure it out. It is going to look sweet on my Alfa's. These props are the icing on the cake. I am really impressed at the quality of these props. I was thinking they were going to be a little cheesey, but they are not in any way. Totally worth the price.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:22 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Instructions?

Just received my prop but no instructions for changing the pitch. So if I trim off the tab at the bottom of each prop (guess I could dremel it off), the prop will adjust to the extent the screw that goes through each allows for some pitch variation?
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:55 PM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan
Wblacker, I also could not figure out how to adjust the pitch untill I reread the HL instructions. You must cut off the little tab at the base of each prop so that it can rotate in the hub. Untill you do that, it will remain locked in place. I am still trying to figure out how to use the pitch adjustment guage. I am sure it will be simple once we figure it out. It is going to look sweet on my Alfa's. These props are the icing on the cake. I am really impressed at the quality of these props. I was thinking they were going to be a little cheesey, but they are not in any way. Totally worth the price.
Thanks, appreciate the advice. I wound up using a dramel and cut the tabs. I like the scale, but did not like having to make mods on the prop to make it adjustable. Over all, they are a nice scale prop and perform well.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:55 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
166 Posts
I shaved the tab off each blade with an exacto knife. The instructions made setting the pitch harder than it needed to be. The bottom line is that the pitch gauge has to be exactly the same distance from the hub on every blade as you set the pitch. I set the hub flat on a table and then measured how high off the table a specific part of the gauge was on the first prop. Then I move it to the next blade and duplicate the setting. The instruction allow you to actually see what pitch you are setting by reading it off the gauge based on the diametyer of the prop. I eyeball the first blade pitch and set the other two identically. Then I fly the plane and decide if I need more or less pitch. It is easy to set it 5 pitch or 15 as that is each end of the stop where it rotates through the screw hole.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:27 PM
Got guns that can kill a ghost
Joined Feb 2009
230 Posts
it says not to use on extremely powerful electric motors... I plan to use one on a 25 equivalent it produces about 320 watts....I also in the near future plan to use one on a 30 equivalent that would produce about 400 watts...Will they be okay?

I would think 60 size and up would be considered "extremely" powerful 800+ watts

thanks

-Gun
Gun Jam is offline Find More Posts by Gun Jam
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:05 AM
Suspended Account
Good Ol US of A
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Hello?

Why did this thread die? The props look great

I'd like to get a 11x10 4 blade and would really like a spinner for it -
what spinners are known to fit? -

That prop will look great on my Mustang, but has to have a 4 blade spinner, (plastic, nylon or fg) thanks - - Jim -

ps - I'm using a 900kv Hacker A30-10xl on 4s1p2650 on a 50" scratch built P-51 foamy - very strongly built -
Camel Tow is offline Find More Posts by Camel Tow