Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Pudknocker71, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:02 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,312 Posts
Discussion
Aflac Accident insurance...worth it?

Anybody here carry Aflac Accident insurance? I'm considering it through my work. Worried a bad prop strike might cost me big bucks. However it's not clear how much they would cover.

Had a small hit a couple of months ago and got me wondering. Of course I learned a lesson too.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Mar 11, 2009, 08:19 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
I would hate to give advice and that would leave you without coverage, but I'll tell you what I did. I've had Aflac for years and never used it so I cancelled it. The benefits seamed small considering the cost. It only pays a small amount for time spent in a hospital.

In my opinion it's better to have long and short term disability insurance that would cover your salary if you got hurt. That's what I have.

The hole in coverage most people have, and it's a big one, is something called CUSTODIAL care. That's what happens when you get hurt or sick (like Alzheimer's), but your health will not improve. Disability insurance will cover your salary, but it would not be enough to cover the hospital bills. Chances are your health insurance does NOT cover custodial care and you would be on the hook for it. You would need Long Term Care Insurance for that, which I plan to get soon.

Maybe this is too much info.
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Mar 11, 2009, 08:52 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,312 Posts
No not at all. Thanks for responding....at least with something. Right now heath care is so expensive all I carry is life insurance. Employer only offers a bare minimum heath option that doesn't cover hospitalization at all. Time for me to sign up or pass again. That Accident coverage seems almost useless. I'll have to call and get more info.
Old May 05, 2009, 11:02 AM
Joined May 2009
0 Posts
I'm looking into AFLAK now. A guy at work has it, was hit by a car, and AFLAK paid all of his bills until he could go back to work. It's not about compensation for nights spent in hospitals or doctor's visits, although that's an added plus. The point is, these days most people are pretty much living week-to-week, paycheck to paycheck, and a couple of months with no income, even if covered by worker's compensation, will be lost. By the time worker's comp kicks in and you get your 1st check many of your bills will already be late, and your credit rating can suffer. Also consider what some banks are doing to your interest rates because of one missed or late payment to a completely different bank!
OhNoNotAnother is offline Find More Posts by OhNoNotAnother
Old May 06, 2009, 11:16 AM
USA, CA, Oakley
Joined Aug 2008
211 Posts
We have AFLAC through my wife's employer. It has paid well over the years. Even little injuries can be claimed. I went to the doctor to have a piece of sawdust flushed from my eye and got paid for it. Nearly every accident or injury was covered. I even got a nice little check for my routine physical. It isn't too terribly expensive (I believe we pay 400-500 a year on it). We've broken even on claims nearly every year and I could just imagine what a Godsend it would be in the event of a bigger accident or injury. Our agent meets with us every year to talk us into renewing and making sure we haven't missed anything we could potentially file a claim for. If I were single, and on a budget, it's a luxury I probably wouldn't have, but I have a family to take care of, so insurance is something I don't skimp on.
hackdroot is offline Find More Posts by hackdroot
Old May 06, 2009, 04:08 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,312 Posts
I finally took it for those What Ifs...Thanks for you input guys.
Closed Thread