SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:14 AM
Joined Feb 2009
101 Posts
Discussion
Oly II or Oly IIs??

which flys better they Oly II or the Oly IIs? i know the Oly II is a floater and the Oly IIs uses a knew airfoil but im just wondering which one i should purchase

also can the Oly take a moderate winch launch?
blackoutjon is offline Find More Posts by blackoutjon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:30 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,203 Posts
Oly IIS will fly better than an Oly II.
My Oly II's can take a stiff winch launch, sometimes to the point were I see daylight between the wing and the fuse, .014" carbon is a wonderful thing
Get the Oly IIS, add .014" carbon to the spars and you will be VERY happy.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:08 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Same as Thermaler. You will not be disappointed. Like the idea of beefed up spars to endure a little more. Makes the plane be around alot longer then most.
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Mar 12, 2009, 02:09 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
I'll bet that if you don't know how to catch thermals yet, you'll like the original better. If you do know how to catch thermals, you'd probably appreciate the speed range of the S3014.

You don't necessarily have to have carbon to have the glider last a long time. If the wing rod is not overdimensioned, then it will protect the wing. I have an Olympic 2 which is probably somewhere between 20 and 30 years old. (I've owned it for 10 or 15 years, I think, and it wasn't new then.) It's been through many 7/32" wing rods. Quarter inch would probably still bend before the wing broke, not sure about 5/16".

I've winched launched my Oly 2 with the 7/32" rod many times. Usually the rod doesn't bend. But then, I do a lot of tapping. If you don't tap, either one of these will probably blow up. At least with usual 6V Ford long shaft winch on 12V battery.

I really like flying the stock Oly 2, and it's an excellent trainer. It's not great in the wind, however.

On the original, you want to keep the Monokote on the wing tight. Might even be worth double covering the inner part of the wing. Idea I heard (read??) from, you guessed it, Mark Drela. He said to do this to the Mirage. Oly's when pushed too hard on the winch have this strange, slow flutter.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
Joined Feb 2009
101 Posts
i know how to catch thermals im not a noob ive been flying for 3 years
blackoutjon is offline Find More Posts by blackoutjon