SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2009, 11:21 PM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Discussion
Realflight G4 Demo/ (G4.5) problem

Hi guys,
Yesterday I bought the Realflight G4.5 and it is on a UPS truck headed my way.
Meanwhile, I decided to download the G4 Demo version to play around with it a bit.
"The D/L went OK but when I tried to open it I got this message:
Your video card is not able to render 3D images. If you have a 3D card, make sure that you have the latest driver for the video card."
My computer is a 4 year old Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 CPU 300GHz with 2GB RAM, running Windows XP Prof.

I went to the computer store to buy a new 3D card and the guy in the tech department said the Nvidia 8400 card I had should do the job, and that he did not think I needed to buy a new card.
He told me to go to Nvidia site and D/L the driver update.

I then went home and D/L'ed an update driver for my Nvidia 8400 card.
Next try at starting G$ Demo left me with the same message as before.
I am dumber than dirt when it comes to computers.
Does anyone have a suggestion on what I might do next to enable the program to work? I am lost. Thanks......... pg
piniongear is offline Find More Posts by piniongear
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:06 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
The idea behind demos, especially with flight simulators is to see if the software runs correctly on your hardware. If the demo is complaining that the graphics card is not suitable as it can't render the 3D then you have little choice but to upgrade the graphics card if you still want to run the software.

The main reason is that older chip sets used on some cards don't support the current versions of DirectX or shadowing. The good news is that a decent enough card to at will give you enough performance are not that expensive. I would suggest having a look on the Realflight website to see if they have a list of suitable cards that are know to work. The only thing you may have to watch is the type of card as most are now PCIe and your machine probably has AGP slot.
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:32 AM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
The idea behind demos, especially with flight simulators is to see if the software runs correctly on your hardware. If the demo is complaining that the graphics card is not suitable as it can't render the 3D then you have little choice but to upgrade the graphics card if you still want to run the software.

The main reason is that older chip sets used on some cards don't support the current versions of DirectX or shadowing. The good news is that a decent enough card to at will give you enough performance are not that expensive. I would suggest having a look on the Realflight website to see if they have a list of suitable cards that are know to work. The only thing you may have to watch is the type of card as most are now PCIe and your machine probably has AGP slot.
Thank you for your reply Malc C.
After looking at 'My Computer'....'Device Manager'.....'Hardware'......and finally 'Properties', I found the display card (Nvidia 8400) has a yellow exclamation mark beside it. So, there is a problem there.
I uninstalled the card and went and bought a new Nvidia 8500 card and installed that. Now under hardware the Nvidia 8500 has the exclamation mark beside it also. So I am sure the problem lies somewhere else, since the new card does not work either.
What makes the yellow exclamation mark appear?
When I open the properties General Tab, Device Status tells me 'This device cannot start (code 10)....... Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.' The troubleshooter just has a list of things that do not get me anywhere close to getting rid of the problem.

I have been in contact with Realflight tech people and the last suggestion they gave me today is to purchase an Nvidia FX 8600 card, or above. If I do that I believe I will still have the same problem, since the brand new 8500 is no different than the old 8400.
And yes, the reason I D/L'ed the Demo was to see if it would run on my computer and it will not.
So when the Realflight G4.5 arrives tomorrow I have no hope that it will work.
I have to find out what is the problem with whatever it up stream of the card. Still lost, I'm afraid.......... pg
Old Mar 11, 2009, 03:39 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
If there is a yellow exclamation mark against a device it means that either the hardware isn't installed correctly or the driver has become corrupted or the wrong driver is installed. The other possibility, which was more common on machines 10 years ago was a clash of IRQ's.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:02 AM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
If there is a yellow exclamation mark against a device it means that either the hardware isn't installed correctly or the driver has become corrupted or the wrong driver is installed. The other possibility, which was more common on machines 10 years ago was a clash of IRQ's.
Thanks Malc. We bought the computer in June 2006. So it is old, but not that old.
I have had the card in and out and believe it is installed correctly.
As for the driver issue, perhaps that is the problem. I am not able to find where I can D/L drivers at for this card however.
I am now considering just not opening the Realflight package and just offer it up for sale to someone at a discount price.
I do not know enough about computers to proceed.
Thanks again......... pg
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:27 AM
Lexington SC
Joined Jan 2008
464 Posts
They exclamation point means your driver isn't installed correctly. If you bought a new card, it should have come with a driver CD. Go back into device manager and remove the video card and reboot. It should try and reinstall and you can use "Have disc" and point it to your driver CD.

You also might make sure you have the correct version of direct X. Do start/run and type in dxdiag. On the first tab at the bottom, your dx version is listed. Make sure it's at least 9.

Just looking around...the 8400 came with an ATI X800 which should run G4. It might not run it well but it should run it. I'm running it on a Nvidia 6800 pretty well and it's a comparable card.
NightTrain0128 is offline Find More Posts by NightTrain0128
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:41 PM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightTrain0128
They exclamation point means your driver isn't installed correctly. If you bought a new card, it should have come with a driver CD. Go back into device manager and remove the video card and reboot. It should try and reinstall and you can use "Have disc" and point it to your driver CD.
You also might make sure you have the correct version of direct X. Do start/run and type in dxdiag. On the first tab at the bottom, your dx version is listed. Make sure it's at least 9.
Just looking around...the 8400 came with an ATI X800 which should run G4. It might not run it well but it should run it. I'm running it on a Nvidia 6800 pretty well and it's a comparable card.
Yes, looking over the paperwork in the computer file drawer I see where I installed a new e-GeForce 8400 GS on 09/02/2008 because I was having problems with the video card that came with the computer in 2004.

The card and driver install was done by a friend of mine who is very good with computers. I have confidence in his ability, and everything worked fine until Realflight came along.
I will follow your instruction and check the directX version. I do believe I saw it listed as a '9' before though.
My understanding of it is that the 8400 card should run Realflight, perhaps not good, but run it nonetheless.

That is why I uninstalled the 8400 drivers, then bought a new 8500 card and installed it and it's drivers, thinking that that was the problem. Apparently not, because the new 8500 card has the same yellow exclamation mark beside it too, and Realflight will not open.
Thanks, and I will let you know what happens. I do appreciate your effort to help.......... pg
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:01 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Insert the CD that came with your 8500 card. It may auto run, if not open MY COMPUTER and double click on the CD drive and run any set-up program. This should install any driver and utility application for your card.

Alternatively don't install anything if the disk autoruns. Open up DEVICE MANAGER and open the properties for the graphics card - select DRIVER tab and click on the option to update driver. You will then be prompted with the ADD HARDWARE wizard. Say no to any prompt to search the net for drivers, and then advance through the wizard. When you get the option to select the location include the CD drive. Advance through the wizard and hopefully the driver will be installed without any problem
Old Mar 11, 2009, 06:26 PM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Malc C and Nightrain.......
OK, just to bring you guys up to date here on my situation:
I clicked 'uninstall the card' and there was a message that 'the card could not be uninstalled because it is required for startup.'
'
But then the card was uninstalled anyway!
After restarting and looking on the list, there were nothing showing 'display'any longer.
Next.......
I went and bought a new GeForce 9400GT card and carefully installed it following directions.
After everything was complete, I tried to open the RF simulator Demo and got the message 'Your video card not able to render 3D images.' This is the same message as in the past.

Going back to the list under hardware again I found the display card for the new 9400 was now listed, but with a yellow mark beside it.

I registered the new card with EVGA. Then I called them for help.
While waiting on the phone to speak with someone, I clicked the Demo short cut and the dang thing opened up!
I again went back to the list, and now the display card listing the 9400 had no yellow mark beside it (obviously because it opened up RF Demo)

So now I have the Realflight G4.5 in my hands. I am going to open the box and install it and see what happens. This is really strange (the Demo opening) because I did nothing to make it work. Suddenly the yellow mark was gone and everything worked. I managed to crash the 300L plane in fact.
I will keep you guys posted on how it loads, and again thank you for your interest and help with this.......... pg
Old Mar 11, 2009, 08:55 PM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Update guys......
Well for some reason everything works now.
I loaded up the Realflight G4.5 and found updates for it which I D/L'ed as well and it all seems to work. No yellow exclamation mark under displays (card) either.
It may quit later, but for now it works.
Thanks to both of you for your help and direction on this. I would not have had the faintest idea of what to do without your suggestions........... pg
Old Mar 12, 2009, 07:39 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
You're welcome, and glad to hear you're up and running.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:21 PM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Ha-Ha....... Well, it was working! Last night I had reason to turn off the computer (usually we leave it running 24/7) and when I booted it up this morning, same old problem with the display adapter having the yellow exclamation mark and the hardware not working.
Short version of long story was I uninstalled and reinstalled and the result was still the errors remained.

I phoned up tech support at Nvidia and he told me that I needed to try running the Driver Cleaner Pro program. This will clean up bits and pieces of drivers that did not get uninstalled he said.
In jumping through the hoops to get that accomplished, suddenly everything started to work.

I don't know what is going on here, but it is still running and I am still crashing planes, so all is well at present.
Thanks again.......... pg
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:13 PM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Always something.......

This morning I find all of the USB ports on my computer do not work.
G4.5 is still working but does not recognise the controller being connected.????????????
pg
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Sounds like you have more than just a driver issue going on here. If it was me I would think seriously about wiping the machine and re-installing the OS from scratch on a clean system. This would be the only way to guarantee that all the system drivers etc are in place and have not been corrupted in some why.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 05:09 PM
Ubu
Michigan
Joined Jan 2008
124 Posts
If itís a PCI video card, try it in a different slot. You may have a defective PCI slot on your motherboard.
Ubu is offline Find More Posts by Ubu