HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2009, 12:13 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyzone Super Cub vs BP Hobbies Super Cub - help me decide

I am considering the BP hobbies cub or the HZ SC. Could someone give me their opinion as to the pluses/minuses or comparison of each?

BP Hobbies Cub Review
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956193

If I purchased the HZ SC, I would quickly convert it to ailerons after a initial maiden flight. I would most likely also buy the parts and assemble my own with my own motor and electronics etc...I would paint it in my own scheme.

If I got the BP cub, I would most likely leave it "as is" (comes in yellow or red) ...as it is already set up for ailerons...and only do very minor mods (steerable tail wheel?).

Thanks
Rob
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Last edited by Bombay; Mar 09, 2009 at 02:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2009, 12:42 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,241 Posts
You have 915 posts but are looking at a 'starter trainer' HZ SC?

Great plane for learning but kind of a 1 trick pony unless you mod the hell out of it as you indicated you would do. It's tough and flies well. The entire electrics kit is extremely basic and someone like you shouldn't even bother with it.

Checked your blog and you have flying experience. There are LOTS of more interesting planes than the HZ SC if you want something like that. No experience with the BP SC.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Mar 09, 2009, 01:07 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
You have 915 posts but are looking at a 'starter trainer' HZ SC?
Lol. Beat me with a whip why don't ya.

I would never buy the stock bird and use the stock electronics (at this stage anyway), but I am not sure that a SuperCub (whether HZ or BP) is limited to beginners. I am somewhat limited in my takeoff landing area...like the looks of the modified/painted cubs...and like relatively slow/scale planes. I am mainly considering either one (as opposed to another type of plane) since they are relatively inexpensive...I already have the electronics...and would like to add a cub to my fleet...and I can fly it alongside my neighbor who is currently in the 'starter trainer' stage.

I have only owned foam planes so far... Is there that much of a difference in flight characteristics of a covered plane as opposed to a foam plane?

With that said, I am open to other suggestions, but if it is more than $90 for the plane (minus the electronics) then it will be scratched.

HZ SC

Pluses
- Foam - easily repairable
- Replacement parts readily available...although this may be a moot point since I am passed the total carnage stage.
- Mods and tweaks already documented, tested and proven.

Minuses
- Solid foam...
- Plain Jane - opaque canopy, no room for pilot
- Weight: approx 25oz or 708 grams
- dihedral

BP CUB

Pluses
- ailerons
- Like the translucent looks of the covered wings
- clear canopy...room for pilot and simple scale details
- Slightly less expensive ($70 compared to $90 (for parts))
- Bolt-on wing (as opposed to rubber bands)
- Weight: 450-500 grams (16-18oz)
- very little dihedral

Minuses
- more difficult to repair (as least for me...for now)
- Replacement availability (it looks like the cowl, wheels and covering is available, but not the wing sets and fuselage)...although this may be a moot point since I am passed the total carnage stage.
Last edited by Bombay; Mar 09, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 01:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay
Lol. Beat me with a whip why don't ya.
Didn't mean it THAT way. Just didn't understand what your goal was.

If you like modding planes the SC is cheap in basic form and there are huge numbers of threads on doing that. Personally I sold mine and moved on. I'm also not much for decoration so am of little help there.

You might like this if you have limited ground space:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830383

Both of these sites have well like options.
http://www.stevensaero.com/home.php
http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25

Pick a plane you like and do some searches on it for more info.
Last edited by flydiver; Mar 09, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 01:27 PM
Who put that TREE there!!
Columbia, MO
Joined Dec 2005
622 Posts
If you have spare electronics already or know that you will be modding it anyways, just buy all the parts to the SuperCub and add your electronics. All the parts - electronics sell for $63.00 on Horizon's website.

And if you have a HobbyTown USA that's close by they stock most all the replacement parts to the SuperCub...
JawaSnack is offline Find More Posts by JawaSnack
Old Mar 09, 2009, 03:39 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
why not look at the new CESSNA 182 SKYLANE SEL at hobbyzone or tower? You can find it in the PNP setup as well overseas. Apparently a great flyer with ailerons and flaps.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Mar 09, 2009, 03:59 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0stS0ul
why not look at the new CESSNA 182 SKYLANE SEL at hobbyzone or tower? You can find it in the PNP setup as well overseas. Apparently a great flyer with ailerons and flaps.
Good suggestion and nice plane but a little over my price ceiling of $90...even at hobbycity...130 + 46-65 shipping = 175 to 200. Not really into pink either.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 04:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
I am considering the BP hobbies cub or the HZ SC. Could someone give me their opinion as to the pluses/minuses or comparison of each?
Hi Rob,

Balsa construction of the BP Hobbies version means you'll either be buying new components all the time, or repairing them yourself. Repairing and recovering balsa is not as easy as gluing and taping up the divots in foam. Don't listen to people who tell you that balsa plane repair is so easy a child could do it. It ain't so.... believe me...

Lack of dihedral in the BP Hobbies means it doesn't lend itself very well to leisure flying where you don't want to be "flying" it all the time.

Massive cabin area of the HZ Super Cub will hold a digital camera with no worrying about how to adjust the center of gravity; since the middle of the cabin area is directly on the C/G. The HZ Super Cub is my new aerial photography plane.

Spare parts at every hobby shop in town for the HZ Super Cub.

No expensive brushless motor needed in the HZ Super Cub, as the stock motor will run with very nice camera hauling ability on 3s Li-Pos and a GWS 10x6 DD Direct Drive prop.

These are the top reasons I would pick the HZ Super Cub over the BP Hobbies version, and they are just my opinions only...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2009, 04:32 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I would also recommend the HobbyZone Super Cub.

If you don't want the dihedral and want to flatten the wing, there's a few different ways that it can be done.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11407

Also, be sure to check out the rest of the HobbyZone Super Cub thread. Especially the 2nd post.

There's TONS of info. there on mods done to the HZ Super Cub.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Mar 09, 2009, 04:55 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks Chuck and BD. All you guys have my respect as I see that you consistently give good advice. I'll hold off from making a quick decision for the moment.

As you can see in my pluses/minuses I have been leaning towards the BP Cub. I am a little afraid of my first "scrape" on concrete or nose-over with a covered plane, but I was envisioning the sunlight illuminating that yellow translucent wing. On dihedral, they both appear to have slight dihedral (the HZ more than the BP), but I am fine with a low-dihedral wing.

So, are you guys saying don't ever go with a balsa/covered plane? I know you are not, so when is the jump-off point?

Rob
Last edited by Bombay; Mar 09, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 05:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
So, are you guys saying don't ever go with a balsa/covered plane? I know you are not, so when is the jump-off point?
Hi Rob,

Now that.... is a good question! I don't think (in my opinion only) that there is a jump off point where we go from foam planes to balsa planes.

There is however, some common problems with ARF planes that we typically think of as being 'balsa planes'. And this is the simple fact that they are not so much balsa, as they are plywood. Plywood is heavy, and rather difficult to cut, notch, and in general work with. Notice on the BP Super Cub that the the entire nose area is made of laser cut plywood.

If this gets creamed in a minor crash, you are going to have to rebuild it from whatever materials you have available. Ideally, you'd want to use balsa.... but balsa is lighter than plywood, even if it is easier to work with. But then of course, we run into problems with center of gravity when we're done.

In addition, the grade of balsa they typically use in manufactured kits like the BP Hobbies version is of the hard, dense, variety. Balsa comes in different grades, and we pay a premium to use the 'competition' grade which is lighter, more uniform, and with a very consistent texture throughout. Typically, hobby shops don't really carry the heavy, junk grade of balsa contained in manufactured kits.

So if we suffer a crash, and have to rebuild say, the left wing half.... we wind up with a wing that is lighter than the right wing half, and then we have to take steps to correct the imbalance.

In addition, we now have to learn to properly use a heat gun to put the correct washout (if any) in our wing.... and to correct any warping problems we encounter when building and covering the wing half. This is one of the reasons that they use so much plywood in these planes.

Just looking at the BP version, I shudder to think how fragile that motor box and firewall is.... even though it's all plywood!

My own 'jump off' point came when I just decided that I wanted to start building out of balsa and covering. It's something I enjoy doing. This doesn't mean, however, that I gave up on foamies. I LOVE my foamies!

So, in the end.... in my opinion only.... there is no jump off point that applies to us as a general rule.

Take care,

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2009, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,241 Posts
Quote:
Rob
That's a personal decision. I know some folks strongly advocate certain tough balsa planes as trainers, generally with mentor help though.

When you are ready to jump is up to you. Consequences are just harder to deal with.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 05:57 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Fritz and Chuck:

Thanks again for your insight. I'll keep those things in mind when making a decision. One thing I will say though is that it might be better to get my balsa-feet wet on a $70 wood plane as opposed to a $300 wood plane. I imagine that a good crash would send the BP plane to the trashcan...whereas the HZ SC would sit on the shelf until the next $20 part arrived. Certainly something to think about.

Rob