Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 05, 2001, 02:45 PM
Westchester County, New York, United States
Joined Dec 1999
573 Posts
Would this be a good idea?

Whenever I build a plane, I always find the instructions to be a little lacking. The kits are usually of excellent quality, but my limited building experience sometimes leaves me wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

As I build aircraft from now on, I'm considering creating very detailed step by step instruction with lots of photos, and posting them as PDF's to a web site. They would be available for download by anyone, and although there would be no charge, I would ask that anyone who found them particularly useful send a couple bucks (via PayPal) to defray the cost of making them.

Do you think this would be a useful service, or would I just be wasting my time.

Thanks...
Steve
Steven DiStasio is offline Find More Posts by Steven DiStasio
Old Sep 05, 2001, 05:53 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steven DiStasio:
Whenever I build a plane, I always find the instructions to be a little lacking. The kits are usually of excellent quality, but my limited building experience sometimes leaves me wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

As I build aircraft from now on, I'm considering creating very detailed step by step instruction with lots of photos, and posting them as PDF's to a web site. They would be available for download by anyone, and although there would be no charge, I would ask that anyone who found them particularly useful send a couple bucks (via PayPal) to defray the cost of making them.

Do you think this would be a useful service, or would I just be wasting my time.

Thanks...
Steve
Here's the skeptic NewbieX, for those of you so maligned by the idealist version.

Sounds great, but I think with that plan you might be Napsterizing yourself. Maybe look into just selling the improved plans to the manufacturer, if you're really interested in being reimbursed financially for the effort. That way people get better plans and you get paid up front.

It's been my experience that people tend not to pay for things they can get for free. Either way, copyright.

NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Sep 05, 2001, 07:00 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
Model builders all have thier own unique touches that they use with any kit or scratch
built model. I never build a plane precicely
per plan.

What you propose would most likely cause copy
right problems. Also by charging or even asking for donations you imply that your solution is the best way.

The best thing to do would be to write reviews and submit them to the appropriate
publications. In this way you get paid for
the article and any plans involved would be
handled by the publishing co. and you would
recieve royalties.
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis
Old Sep 05, 2001, 07:54 PM
Joined Dec 1999
573 Posts
I see your point, but how is elaborating on building instructions considered "Napsterizing" or a violation of the copy right?

If I take photos of a plane in construction and detail what I did to get to that step, how is that a problem? I'm not trying to be defensive or anything, and I apologize if that's how it sounds.

If that were the case, no one could write a "MS Word for Dummies" book. In essence, that is the software equivalent of somone providing building hints.

I do see how charging could cause a problem, and if I do make any of these, I'll just post them for free. I'm not saying I know anything more than other builders (I probobly know significantly less), and I'm not doing it for money...I just hoped that people could learn from my mistakes and avoid some common problems.

[This message has been edited by Steven DiStasio (edited 09-05-2001).]
Old Sep 05, 2001, 08:35 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
This brings up another question. Do the reviewers o the ezone get paid for the rewivews they submit here? Maybe just get to keep the model? I have always wondered how the ezone supports itself. I know that the banners bring in some money but can't possibly support the whole thing. That is one of the many reasons that I am so impressed with Jim and the others that make this place work.
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Sep 05, 2001, 09:58 PM
Joined Dec 1999
573 Posts
I don't know how the EZone supports itself or if it makes a profit, but they sure deserve to. This site has been invaluable for me (and others as well I assume). I wouldn't have had nearly as much success and fun with this hobby if not for the EZone.

Old Sep 06, 2001, 01:55 AM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steven DiStasio:
I don't know how the EZone supports itself or if it makes a profit, but they sure deserve to. This site has been invaluable for me (and others as well I assume). I wouldn't have had nearly as much success and fun with this hobby if not for the EZone.

You can say that again. This is an unparalled resource among a number of interests, ideas and hobbies I've researched on the net.

With the napsterizing thing, I just meant that you would be giving the product away for free and likely not see much revenue. You would become the equivalent of the artists and record companies in the Napster debacle.

What Travis said is possible, so you should probably check with the manufacturer of the plan/kit before you go ahead with your work based on their work and decide to publish it, even if in electronic form. I'm not to sure what the law is as far as webpages, trademarks, names, copyrights and whatnot on the boundary between the real world and the net.

You can bet someone will try to have it removed or sue you for damages if you say something they find less than complementary.

NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Sep 06, 2001, 07:13 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,237 Posts
Quote:
. . . I'm considering creating very detailed step by step instruction with lots of photos . . .
I've done this in a very limited manner with my T-52 pages, and it takes a LOT of time if done properly (which my "instructions" are an extreme compromise, though they are "free"). I found doing it was a lot of fun but I doubt I'll ever greatly enhance or improve my web pages (they need it, but I discovered this new thing - it's called a LIFE).

The motivation behind my my web pages was to help anyone get into E-flight R/C sucessfully. I think I've accomplished this goal (yeah, I'm very biased about HOW it should be done) - I've had many folks drop me a "thank-you" note after reviewing the site - that's rewarding to me. Even better is when they send an e-mail about their first sucessful flight - that makes my day to know that in some small way I might have helped somebody get into this hobby (I refuse to deem this activity a "sport").

I used to write instruction materials and found the following recipe for success:

layout/list of contents
rough draft
review
first draft
review
second draft
review
final draft
review

The publisher I used to work for (Que, a division of McMillian Publishing) paid $2K for every finished chapter I wrote (about 30 pages per chapter). After writing the book, I will probably never go back to writing technical manuals again - I guess I'm fortunate, but I can make more money doing much easier work.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Sep 06, 2001, 01:58 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Steve

I must admit- I've been a little frustrated so far with my similar attempts. I've contacted sellers of kits and various electronics to submit better instructions than what came with the product. Two out of three times I've either gotten no response, or a curt- we're doing it our way. The one time I was compensated- the compensation (a speed 400 with spinner) was equitable for what I did (came up with a set of mods drawn on plans)but realistically, the time investment far outweighed the financial return. Face it- too many vendors and mfgs are barely scraping by- you're probably making more money than they are.

In terms of E-zone reviews- well I did one and you couldn't make a phone call for what I got paid. As they say- the best things in life are free. And yes, I did buy the kit myself and all the gear- no financial compensation whatsoever. Does that make me an unbiased reviewer?

My recommendation- share improved directions and reviews with fellow modelers for the joy it gives you- paying something back to your mentors. Don't plan on buying groceries.

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Sep 06, 2001, 02:06 PM
Joined Dec 1999
573 Posts
Sam wrote..."share improved directions and reviews with fellow modelers for the joy it gives you- paying something back to your mentors. Don't plan on buying groceries."

Sam,
That's was my intent all along. If someone was building plane 'x' and was having trouble, he could take a look at how I built mine and maybe learn from what I did, or learn what NOT to do from my mistakes.

It's not intended to replace the manufactureres instructions, and money was never why I would like to do it. If I do post any of these, they'll be 100% free to anyone who cares to download it.