HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2009, 01:23 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1 Posts
Discussion
CMP J3 Piper Cub 120 91" Review and Instructions

Has anyone purchased and flown this plane who could talk to its quality and flight? Anyone find existing reviews or a copy of the manual? I am looking for a cub and this is the perfect size, but I can't find much info on it.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
BLG11 is offline Find More Posts by BLG11
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:36 PM
México, Jalisco, Guadalajara
Joined Sep 2006
898 Posts
Hello,

I am laso looking information on this plane, I have a SPE 26cc gasser, V 2., this new version has the carb at the rear of the engine and a pitts style muffler which also goes to the back of the motor. those changes make the engine longer but slimer than the previous version., I want to mount it on the CMP j3 cub

I would like to know what is the distance from the firewal to the hole in the cowl where the prop goes.

will appreciate your info.
Erwin Z is offline Find More Posts by Erwin Z
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Okay, this is an old thread, but for those who stumble across it I'll update it. i have the CMP 91" Cub and it was easy to build, but the instructions are the usual Chinese quality, so use common sense when building it. I had heard that most CMP models were a bit heavy, so I decided to go with the lightest 20cc gas engine I could find...the 20cc DLE. it just so happens to be inexpensive and powerful as well. This cub came in around 11.5 lbs fully completed and flies like a dream. Plenty of power for full vertical flight, but looks and flies great at 1/4 throttle for nice scale appearance. It lands slow and soft. DO NOT USE the O-rings supplied for the main gear suspension...rubber bands or springs (like I use) are fine, but the supplied O-rings will fail on the first flight.
lmeidl is offline Find More Posts by lmeidl
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
This is not the "Best built - best looking - best supplied hardware" type of kit. It is inexpensive, but will fly good if built correctly. DO use 2 servos for elevator as it has the servo tray setup that way even though in the instructions, it says to just use 1. I would replace the tail wheel (as I have) , but you can use the original and if it fails, switch to a better one later.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Don't get me wrong...the finished plane looks very nice and flies very nice and I love it, but if your looking for the very best built ARF out there...this isn't it, but then again I paid $227 for it and it's been well worth more than that.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:56 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
That is a nice plane and set-up
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old May 02, 2011, 08:14 AM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Well, I have about 2 hours of actual flight time on my Cub now and I can give you a full report now. It flies very well and lands soft and easy...easier than any trainer I ever had. I'd even recommend it as a good plane to fly for a new pilot who has only flown a trainer before. The only thing to worry about is to watch the rudder use on takeoff. If you use too much rudder, it will snap roll (tip stall) on takeoff. I have my rudder down to just 40% throws and it's plenty. I can even fly knife edge with the 40% rudder.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:46 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1 Posts
Construction manuals for giant J-3 CUB 91"

I have the same question - does anyone have a pdf, jpg, png... file of a Piper J-3 CUB 91" instruction manuals, parts list...etc. handbook for me or any usable link or place to download it? In the giant package, there was NOT neither papers for construction manuals with descriptions to complete. Would be greatly appreciated.
markog7 is offline Find More Posts by markog7
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:42 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,900 Posts
Is this the same plane? Not much information provided on the web page. Not even a photo.

http://www.scaleflying.com/ARF-Scale..._c_11-2-4.html
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:30 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,055 Posts
I maidened one for a friend this last weekend.

A few things I noticed were that the rudder is super powerful and the suggested throw is more than adequate.

You NEED to fly coordinated when turning. If you don't know what this means- search.

Landings are best done with a few clicks of power and slight "up" pressure on the elevator. You can easily land tail wheel first if you want.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:10 PM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markog7 View Post

I have the same question - does anyone have a pdf, jpg, png... file of a Piper J-3 CUB 91" instruction manuals, parts list...etc. handbook for me or any usable link or place to download it? In the giant package, there was NOT neither papers for construction manuals with descriptions to complete. Would be greatly appreciated.
CMPRO Cub 91 Manual
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X228638X52.PDF

Stuart
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:04 AM
United States, WI, Evansville
Joined Aug 2008
258 Posts
Hi all, I have a J3 Cub 120 and have mounted OS 160 on it. A bit overkill with 18x8W but believe me, she is a beauty. I have flown it extensively and just love this bird. I would not mind going in for 1/4 Piper and have two in the hangar Here is a video link to my piper flight.
piper low pass (1 min 11 sec)

Piper.avi (5 min 58 sec)

Cheers...

Parambir
parambir is offline Find More Posts by parambir
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:30 AM
Professional Toothpick maker
USA, NY, New Hampton
Joined Jan 2005
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeidl View Post
Well, I have about 2 hours of actual flight time on my Cub now and I can give you a full report now. It flies very well and lands soft and easy...easier than any trainer I ever had. I'd even recommend it as a good plane to fly for a new pilot who has only flown a trainer before. The only thing to worry about is to watch the rudder use on takeoff. If you use too much rudder, it will snap roll (tip stall) on takeoff. I have my rudder down to just 40% throws and it's plenty. I can even fly knife edge with the 40% rudder.
I'm real interested how you mounted the dle20 in planning on doing the same on mine. Did you have to do any mods to get it to fit?

Thanks Jim
nalby is offline Find More Posts by nalby
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,548 Posts
Hi guys this is a great little plane a good value for money, I mounted an ASP 180 methanole 2 stroke and used it for glider towing for a while but it's great fun to putt around and then freak everyone out when you pull verticle and punch out through the clouds in a split second or drag a 5 meter model at 45 degrees +
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old May 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
USA, NY, New Hampton
Joined Jan 2005
674 Posts
Well here's mine dle-20 I had to open up the cowl because it was over heating, I don't think it looks to bad. Flys great loads of power even with those 20 oz's of dubro 6" inflatables.
nalby is offline Find More Posts by nalby