HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2009, 01:00 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Question
A very unusal scale design - Do212 technically challenging

I figure that the only way to find out if this could be made to work is to throw it out to you guys and see what you make of the challenge

I normally live down in waterplanes where if you want to find free plans for said or just see the weird and wonderful stuff we play around with then its the stick to start you off with. The Do212 theirs a link but no three view and you can see it involves thrust vectoring ....just to make it realy interesting http://histaviation.com/Dornier_Do_212.html it gives you the sizes. They failed but will you? Should you choose to accept this mission......................... you may regret it but it remains strangely
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Apr 14, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2009, 02:48 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,313 Posts
kinda looks like a small B-24 but as a boat plane pusher.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Mar 07, 2009, 04:25 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
I have built a couple of shaft drive plane.

Piece of cake to do the driveshaft with heavy walled Aluminum tubing.

Or use 1/8" diameter solid shafting.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 09, 2009, 04:36 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Hi guys somehow I missed the subscribe button, dohh........... just looking the motor shaft and prop are all going to have to tilt as one ..OK but the fixing to the fuse is going to have to take all the forces and thrust , my other thought was even using foam its going to have to be a pretty fast turning prop/motor to get enough waft..... but if those boat things can be persuaded to fly then this things got a decent amount of wing!
Old Mar 11, 2009, 06:17 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
546 Posts
Here is the three view.
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Mar 11, 2009, 09:38 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
The long drive shaft was my first thought to get the weight up front. Then noticed that the whole deck lifts up for landing and takeoff. Might be a little tough to do, but I'm sure a hinged deck with a servo to drive it up and down could be done. Or just use a smaller prop and high kv motor. Eigher way it looks like a great project.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:23 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Thank you Laddie could you send me a larger detail scan of that view, high KV and light wt it can be built but can it be funtioning and flown Dritch?

Someone will then cheat and stick an EDF on the airframe.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Mar 11, 2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 03:41 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
Thank you Laddie could you send me a larger detail scan of that view, high KV and light wt it can be built but can it be funtioning and flown Dritch?

Someone will then cheat and stick an EDF on the airframe.
I am sorry, but I do not know how to make it any better. I scanned the page with my HP printer/scanner.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 05:42 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
No prob thanks anyway Laddie thats a huge help.

BTW.
If you scanner has a menue choose a higher DPI dots per inch scan or photo quallity setting if its a Qualitative set up menue.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 03:54 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
546 Posts
Quote:
No prob thanks anyway Laddie thats a huge help.

BTW.
If you scanner has a menue choose a higher DPI dots per inch scan or photo quallity setting if its a Qualitative set up menue.
I checked and it is set for 2400X2400 DPI.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:12 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
That will be huge unless theres been some automated reduction in posting......thankyou Laddie, this will be an interesting subject..........the technology exists to build a model that would have failed perhapse even 4 years ago- like the real thing did.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:05 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
546 Posts
Quote:
That will be huge unless theres been some automated reduction in posting......thankyou Laddie, this will be an interesting subject..........the technology exists to build a model that would have failed perhapse even 4 years ago- like the real thing did.

For number of years I have been looking at this plane to build it. Sooner or later I just might do it.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:13 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
I thought you might, this is going to have to be a hybred stucture and may have to icorporate a few bits of carbon at key points depends on the size really.

Have you tried Lipo cells in your Caproni yet the wt saving must be huge .......... it might do it.

Checked it it looks like theres been some auto reduction on the posting hmmmm.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Mar 14, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:02 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
separated the 3view....

Stats:- Length 10.15 m, height 4.40 m, span 10.30 m, wing area 23.10 m2, stabilizer span 6.52 m in a v of 8 30'

A trifle more wing area might help - by a small increase in span possibly? Plus an increase in chord - trailing edge?

For the dryfoots ie the uninitiated to model flying-boats usually to ROW rise of water more easilly if their step is slightly greater than their scale originals. Conventional wisdom also states it is also important that the Chines -the lower side edges of the hull that contact the water should be sharp edged not rounded this helps with getting the plane unstuck.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Apr 14, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:50 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Its roughly square in the length and wingspan department...........I'm thinking about 1:10 scale as a minimum or just over a meter each way as a working model size.

Whats the estimates on a foamy airframe that size, with a high KV smaller prop motor?

the motor will move through a small amount of arc and ideally counterbalance the prop,spinner and longer length of shaft, the thrust if vectoring is intended will have to be transmitted through the drive assemblies pivot points, to the air frame...by TYLAR I would say at about the level of the aft side hatch behind the TE of the wing.
Power pack RX and if possible some servos forward of the wing?

Another problem is the twin rudders and ensuring clearance for the prop shaft in terms of the elevator linkages.
I can post enlarged and enhanced versions of the pictures to assist interpretation?
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Apr 14, 2009 at 06:26 PM.