HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2009, 12:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
16 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex Xeno as FPV

I love this Xeno wing so far . But will it work as a good FPV?

Some specs located on the second picture.

Pictures from this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=xeno
JakAck is offline Find More Posts by JakAck
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2009, 05:14 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,562 Posts
It doesn't have too much space under the canopy for OSDs, autopilots, etc... Apart from that I certanly looks great for a simple camera/Tx only setup. Unless you start carving out the elapor.... ;-)
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Mar 07, 2009, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
16 Posts
Yeah, there doesn't look like a whole lot of room for much extra on there. But like you said, a little elapor carving might allow it to work :-)

Does anyone know if it is any more critical to get the center of gravity right in a wing? It seems to me that this plane wouldn't have much forgiveness with where you'd want to install all the extra equipment. Maybe I'll just have to try it and see for myself.
Old Mar 07, 2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,051 Posts
Any plane is a possible FPV setup. I have seen many wings with a small transmitter and camera. I think Gabriel in Brazil does all of his stunts with a wing.

Unfortunately it will be fast and have no tendency to self correct. Add to that it's meager load carrying ability and lack of space....the layout would be challenging. Also with all the expensive bits in the nose one bad landing and your electronics are toast.

Yet for an RC expert this plane could be loads of excitement. -Ken

ps: Wings are critical to have balanced perfectly. I had a Concrusher which taught me that lesson over and over. A plane will tolerate the CG moved a little forwards or back with bad characteristics in flight. A fast wing will become a handfull quickly.
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Mar 07, 2009, 05:27 PM
Joined Jan 2009
16 Posts
I've got no experience myself with a wing. But from what multiplex seems to be saying on their website, this thing should be easy enough to control at low speeds for the beginner flier. "Broad Speed range" is what they are saying. Of course when you load it full of gear that might change a bit!
Old Mar 08, 2009, 01:18 AM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
I bet it would be great for a camera/tx only setup. I wouldn't try to fit an OSD in there. Also, use a lighter motor and mount it on the back, not mid-ship like in the picture. This should help with balancing once you put a camera on the nose. If you use the main battery for video as well, you can save some more weight.
Hauntme13 is offline Find More Posts by Hauntme13
Old Mar 08, 2009, 05:23 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
With an electric AUW of only 460g it will not take much payload without an increase in airspeed. Consider that the EZ* has a standard AUW of around 700g

Nice looking wing IMO

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Mar 09, 2009, 07:40 PM
Certified Power Juicer
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
912 Posts
since I learned that most of the gabriel videos are shot from a flying wing I was thinking about a flying wing as fpv platform. with the given ideas on how to correct cg and carving the elapor it will sure work out well. I think I will be one of the many to try this once it's available.
Jack_LaLanne is offline Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FlyFly Hobby ASW28