HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:46 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
That's a nice job trimming that cowl for that engine. I always thought that would be a PITA. Yours looks great.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:58 PM
WV-northern panhandle
Joined Oct 2008
94 Posts
Thanks, but I ain't goin'a lie...IT WAS! Looks like I still need to get the rest of that GP decal off though. Funny how you don't notice things like that until you look from a different prospective. lol
Chappy110 is offline Find More Posts by Chappy110
Last edited by Chappy110; Mar 30, 2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: sp
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:32 AM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
515 Posts
What engine and pitts muffler are you using?

Bruce
landeck is online now Find More Posts by landeck
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:37 PM
WV-northern panhandle
Joined Oct 2008
94 Posts
Landeck; That's an OS 40 FSR and a Slimline Pitt's style muffler. I'm not much into areobatics, more of a Sport/Scale type flyer but the 40 does well for my tastes.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Looks great. That is inspirational for me. I was thinking of doing the same with mine but mount the engine inverted. Plus switch back to smaller wheels and get the wheel pants back on. Although the Escapade is my primary plane I fly 99% of the time so I don't really want to screw with it. Still thinking of getting the Reactor so maybe after that.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:14 PM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
448 Posts
You know Chappy, if you put some wheel pants on that you would have a mild version of the revolver. I like it, looks great.
ehskds is online now Find More Posts by ehskds
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:06 PM
WV-northern panhandle
Joined Oct 2008
94 Posts
Got the wheel pants, just never put them on as yet. Something else I might get around to this weekend.

DArcher, I think mounting the engine inverted would be even easier than 90 degrees like mine. I considered it but didn't want any added headaches inverted operation might produce.
Thanks guys.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
One downside of glow is the CG changes in flight or if you don't use a lot of fuel the CG is permanently forward. In 80ish flights I've never even came close to using half a tank. I'm considering reducing the tank to 8oz. I have a new one on my bench I've never used.

You might say just count the turns on the pump and only put in 8oz. I just don't feel comfortable starting without a full tank. Just never sure how much fuel I have unless I see it come out the vent.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:20 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,620 Posts
This begs the question, why aren't glow planes designed with the fuel tank at the CG. Seems like a major design failing to me but it seems to be common over many different brands.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Most engines don't have fuel pumps/regulators so the engines won't pull fuel that far. The weight of the fuel is either too much for the vacuum created by the carburetor venturi and no fuel at all will flow for some attitudes, or the weight causes the mixture to change.

I believe some larger, advanced aerobatic planes do have fuel pumps/regulators and the fuel tank at the CG.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:54 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Wow. I've never considered how the amount of fuel would affect CG. As I think about it, it absolutely would affect it.

I guess this would be the same with most all glow planes. Is this just something that is accepted and that as long as you fly within a CG range you're OK?
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:30 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
When I had my OS.46 glow powered Escapade I never noticed the difference in flying characteristics between a full tank and empty tank. It flew great no matter what. I really like my electric one now that I'm considering getting another Escapade and put a 4-stroker in it.

Oh- yeah! 1000 posts!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:38 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillard View Post
Is this just something that is accepted and that as long as you fly within a CG range you're OK?
The rule is to always adjust the CG with the tank empty. This way the plane can only be nose heavy and never tail heavy. You know the saying, "A nose heavy plane flies poorly. A tail heavy plane flies once.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:12 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
This begs the question, why aren't glow planes designed with the fuel tank at the CG. Seems like a major design failing to me but it seems to be common over many different brands.
Back in the early to mid 80's we used pumps on our AMA pattern planes and placed the tank on the CG. Not sure what they do now, besides going to electric power.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:39 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Because the CG would still change radically as the fuel sloshes forward or rearward depending on the attitude of the airplane. With the tank forward of the CG, you go from very nose heavy to slightly nose heavy or not at all if you run the tank empty.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55