HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:28 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
KingFisher ....you goin' to Hodges Hobbies ?
Already registered. I'm finishing up a build on a 3DHS 68" Velox for SEFF as we speak. I'm going to try camping out this year - I haven't done much of that since my Scouting days, but I think I'll try and offset the higher gasoline prices with the reduction of hotel expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
I just realized I have no clue how to work that program card...
Do you plug it in to the Esc and do you add power...maybe with a receiver battery? I'm looking for my instruction sheet, but I dont remember seeing anything about connections when I glanced thru them when I got it in....

....Thanks,
Andy
You don't need a seperate RX battery if your ESC has a BEC circuit. Just plug the ESC into the card and then plug the main battery into the ESC. The lights on the programming card should then light up. Use the up/down andright/left buttons to scroll down the card and change the settings to what you want.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:16 AM
USA, GA, Darien
Joined Dec 2009
589 Posts
Thanks for the ESC info....

I'm thinking about bringing my camper over also...

Andy
Grits is offline Find More Posts by Grits
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:41 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
You don't need a seperate RX battery if your ESC has a BEC circuit. Just plug the ESC into the card and then plug the main battery into the ESC. The lights on the programming card should then light up. Use the up/down andright/left buttons to scroll down the card and change the settings to what you want.

McD
King,

Sometimes if you are running a high cell count 5 to 12S and the ESC is equipped with a BEC (only usable for cell counts up to 3 or 4s), you may be in for a puff of smoke........ keep that in mind down the road. A lot of the BECs are linear becs and dropping over six volts really heats them up.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:44 PM
USA, GA, Darien
Joined Dec 2009
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
King,

Sometimes if you are running a high cell count 5 to 12S and the ESC is equipped with a BEC (only usable for cell counts up to 3 or 4s), you may be in for a puff of smoke........ keep that in mind down the road. A lot of the BECs are linear becs and dropping over six volts really heats them up.
Thanks RMX,
Sounds like good info....
Andy
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:42 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
King,

You are very right! Some ESCs are also Opto coupled and don't even have a BEC circuit, so you would have to use a seperate flight battery to power the programming card there also.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:24 PM
USA, GA, Darien
Joined Dec 2009
589 Posts
It worked perfect using the main flight battery for power....I skipped medium and moved it to high.
It did not work using the receiver battery, but maybe it was not fully charged.

Thanks,
Andy
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:34 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Water rudder with pushrod on my EscapadeEP

Guys,
I wasn't happy using a flex cable with a loop so I used a direct pushrod connection. It worked GREAT. Much better now.
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Nice.

I'm going out to the garage to shoot my CG back a little more for tomorrows session. Flight or crash report tomorrow.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:11 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamArcher View Post
Nice.

I'm going out to the garage to shoot my CG back a little more for tomorrows session. Flight or crash report tomorrow.
You're lucky! Tomorrow I will be shoveling MORE snow and chipping ice off of the cars......then I will probably have to climb onto the roof of my house and move snow and ice away from the skylights.

I 'm really dying to fly my Escapade. With any luck maybe March or April!
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
I have it harsh here too. If it's not over 50 deg I won't fly. j/k. My parents moved from snow country to California because of the mild weather. Thanks mom and dad.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:10 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjiskra View Post
I wasn't happy using a flex cable with a loop so I used a direct pushrod connection. It worked GREAT. Much better now.
Don
That looks pretty sharp. I may borrow that slick idea.
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
CG back to 2 3/4" from LE. Again my disclaimer, mine is a gasser (glow) so with the fuel it's really not that far back.

I'm beginning to see there is a lot more aerobatic potential in this plane than I originally thought. I finally got the plane to stall and decent spins are possible. One trick I've been trying to pull off is to touch the tail wheel first on landing. Up until today I've only been able to do 3-points. I got the tail wheel down first twice this morning. D/R on full, keep easing back until 6ish" and right at stall pull full back elevator.

I messed with my expo too but didn't like it and put it back to the previous setting.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:18 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2008
87 Posts
I had mentioned a while back that I lost my first Escapade on the second flight due to loss of RF control (on a Spektrum system but that's another story). Anyway, it went nose in so it was pretty smashed up and I bought a second Escapade which had a successful maiden (3 short flights) just before winter set in last December. The first plane's fuselage was broken all the way back toward the TE of the wing area so I discarded it. The tail feathers were OK since they were sticking straight up. The electric motor was filled with mud but I cleaned it up and tested it with a wattmeter and it seems OK also. The leading edge of both wings were damaged. The left wing had the forward part of the outer 3 ribs broken off. I decided to save them and take the covering off the left one just to see how they are constructed since I've never built a full kit plane. The short version of this is that I decided to try to repair it, mostly as an experiment, and it ended up coming out not too bad for a first try. So I bought a fuselage and cowl and rebuilt the entire plane. I was able to patch the right wing but had to entirely recover the more badly damaged left one. Partly to differentiate the repaired wing from the new one and also just for something different, I did a slight modification of the red and orange color scheme. The first photo shows the partly repaired left wing with the repaired area on the right and the other two are the finished plane. The canopy was also pretty badly damage so I just swapped my other good one for now but I'm currently making an attempt to repair the broken one. Anyway, I 'll have two Escapades for this flying season and the repaired one will be my "beater" plane. Hopefully the wing won't disintegrate on the maiden flight!!

Bill
billmay is offline Find More Posts by billmay
Last edited by billmay; Feb 15, 2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:10 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Looks good Bill. When mine nosed in, I decided it was too far gone to justify the effort required to fix it. Had I more time and inclination, I'm sure it could have been done, but for $110 airframe...

I just ordered my replacement Escapade yesterday, taking advantage of Tower's free shipping and $25 off discount. Weather permitting, I'll be back in the air soon.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Feb 15, 2011, 03:09 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
Looks good Bill. When mine nosed in, I decided it was too far gone to justify the effort required to fix it. Had I more time and inclination, I'm sure it could have been done, but for $110 airframe...

I just ordered my replacement Escapade yesterday, taking advantage of Tower's free shipping and $25 off discount. Weather permitting, I'll be back in the air soon.
I felt the same way when I immediately bought the second one and just kept the parts for my own education on how the wings were constructed. If you add up the cost of buying small quantities of balsa, covering film, etc. plus the time it took it surely would have been cheaper to just buy the wings. OTOH, I learned a lot and can't fly here at this time of year anyway. Plus now I'll be able to crash twice as often!

Bill
billmay is offline Find More Posts by billmay