Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2009, 03:46 PM
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Well I have mine, and have set it up with a Turnigy 42-40-1050 running seperately on a 4s A123 pack, with the 5 servos and rec.on a 4.8v pack. I added flaps, but all else is as received. The problem I now have is that it will take about 10.5 oz a nose weight to balance, which seems exessive to me. How does this compare with what others have found?
arniebud is offline Find More Posts by arniebud
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:04 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniebud
Well I have mine, and have set it up with a Turnigy 42-40-1050 running seperately on a 4s A123 pack, with the 5 servos and rec.on a 4.8v pack. I added flaps, but all else is as received. The problem I now have is that it will take about 10.5 oz a nose weight to balance, which seems exessive to me. How does this compare with what others have found?
Arnie,

You say there are 5 servos and you added flaps. Can you provide more information on this layout? Did you take the aileron torque rods and run one servo off of them to make flaps? If so, how much aileron did you remove?

Share some pics if you can. I think that's the direction I'd like to go with the Escapade.
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Apr 06, 2009, 08:18 PM
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Arnie,

You say there are 5 servos and you added flaps. Can you provide more information on this layout? Did you take the aileron torque rods and run one servo off of them to make flaps? If so, how much aileron did you remove?

Share some pics if you can. I think that's the direction I'd like to go with the Escapade.
Sorry, but I don't have photos. The flaps are each 11'', which leaves the ailerons at 11 1/4''.Yes, I used the factory as built torsion rods, and hooked them together at the servo using the supplied rods. I made " Z " bends for the connector at the torsion end. One link is straight from the servo to the rod, and the other off-set, and connects to the straight link just before the servo.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:41 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,630 Posts
Sounds exactly like the PTS-51 from H9, which works very well and is the easyest setup for flaps and ailerons. It also leaves the option for making the ailerons into spoilerons for airbrakes, like the H9 UltraSticks!

Let us know how well she still rolls after the maiden!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:18 AM
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
My real concern is with the amount of weight needed to balance. Short of loading the weight inside the motor mount, I see no easy way to balance. I am looking at ways to reduce the weight of the tail feathers, either by remaking from thinner balsa, or prehaps with foam parts. Am looking for feedback. This is my first "conversion plane ". Is this balance difficulty typical?
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:34 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,630 Posts
Is it the recomended E-setup? If the motor is lighter, or ther battery smaller, it could throw the ballance off quite a bit. Also, at this size, electric is generally much lighter, and the plane can have .40-.60 sized motors on them, plus heavy APC sport props. Thats a solid chunk of metal on the tip of the nose, vs. your small chunk of motor and the battery, which is behind the firewall. So even if your setup weighs the same as a .46 motor, half of that weight is behind the firewall in the battery. Being the nitro guy, I cant say this is typical, but it makes sence that nose weight would be needed, but I seriously daught 10+ oz. are ever needed, otherwise why go electric in the irst place if teh plane is going to weight 10oz. more than if it were nitro!?
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
The motor I am using is a 42-40-1050 and is 125kg, the recommended motor is a 42-60-800, and also weighs 125 kg. A draw. I did send a E-mail to Great Planes describing my set up and posed the balance question to them. Their response is that as long as I do not add more than 8 oz I would be ok. So adding 10.5 is not, since that so far is only the estimated amount.
Last edited by arniebud; Apr 07, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:12 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,630 Posts
I'd go with the biggest battery then. That would giv eyou more power, more flight time, more weight in the nose.

Are the servos mounted in the tail? If they are, or if they can be moved inside the fuse, move them farword as much as possible, an use lighter push rods. Use the plastic sleeved pushrods like Dubro's Lazer Pushrods which are easly setup, and will save a lot of weight inteh tail compared with metal rods.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:50 AM
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
I'd go with the biggest battery then. That would giv eyou more power, more flight time, more weight in the nose.

Are the servos mounted in the tail? If they are, or if they can be moved inside the fuse, move them farword as much as possible, an use lighter push rods. Use the plastic sleeved pushrods like Dubro's Lazer Pushrods which are easly setup, and will save a lot of weight inteh tail compared with metal rods.
Good suggestions,Jake. This is an ARF, already covered, and very well done in my opinion, so changout of linkage would be difficult. The servos are in the fuse over the wing. By replacing the balsa spacer behind the motor with a thicker maple block, and adding a weight salvaged from an Art Tech Corsair in the front of the firewall, it looks like I am at about 6 oz away from balance. I will keep pecking away.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 11:59 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,630 Posts
You could still replace the metal push rods with the plastic ones if the metal pushrods are in a sleeve, just pull them out, and slide in the plastic ones if they fit into the guide tubes that are already installed. I bet you that would save you as much as 2oz. from the empennage's total weight!

Sounds like your very close! Can you move the ESC and Rx farward into the nose one on either side of the battery? Also, do you need a seprate battery to operate the servos? If so, move that up against the firewall, under the battery tray, I bet these would put you on the mark!

A nice aluminum or heavy plastic spinner would help as well!
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:10 PM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
I would consider 10.5, or even 8 ounces, to be excessive to get an ARF to balance as recommended. Especially if using standard components, or similar weight items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniebud
The motor I am using is a 42-40-1050 and is 125kg, the recommended motor is a 42-60-800, and also weighs 125 kg. A draw. I did send a E-mail to Great Planes describing my set up and posed the balance question to them. Their response is that as long as I do not add more than 8 oz I would be ok. So adding 10.5 is not, since that so far is only the estimated amount.
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:40 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,630 Posts
Me too. But as most of my flying buddies would say... PUT A BIGGER MOTOR ON IT!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:51 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,719 Posts
Picked up an Escapade today at my LHS. Looked great coming out of the box. Sadly, one of the wings has a broken lip on the leading edge that locks it into the fuselage. Not something I can fix so I'll see if I can get a replacement.

For those of you flying her, what servos are you using? I'm considering Futaba 3004's...good choice?

I'm hoping to acquire an AXI 4120/14 for this bad boy. I've got a couple of 5S that "might" fit. I want a fast, powerful, efficient setup.

Arnie: When you clipped the ailerons to add flaps, did you add another CA hinge to stop flutter? Or did you not run into that problem?

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:41 PM
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Hi Lee. No , I did not add hinge material. Since each flap and aileron is only 11'' and each has 2 factory hinges, I would not expect any problem. Due to exceptionally long streak of unflyable weather, I have not yet maidened.
You will find that without some serious rework, you will be limited to "standard size " servos due to the opening sizes provided.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:19 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,630 Posts
This kind of plane doesn't need any more than 3004's on it anyway unless you want to fly it with a .60 or big 4 stroke.