HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
294 Posts
Thought it time to jump back in. I picked up an Escapade from the scratch and dent listing on Tower a while ago, and used some of my left over parts from my first one.See postings #31 and #124. This time I set it up using a Evolution 46, and balanced out with just 2 oz. of weight. What a sweet flying plane!! Plenty of power, almost unlimited vertical, and just glides in for landing. When I assembled, I fit 2 additional magnets, salvaged from small brushless motors, to the rear of the canope. All I do is place the canope in position, and the magnets pull it closed. It stays there throughout the flight.
arniebud is offline Find More Posts by arniebud
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:14 PM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
380 Posts
no problems with my canopy...are you forgetting to slide the canopy forward? I know when I flip my prop and hold on to the canopy that it sometimes slides back disengaging the latch.

response to post 150
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974
Old Nov 23, 2009, 06:08 AM
USA, MI, Lansing
Joined Aug 2009
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniebud View Post
Thought it time to jump back in. I picked up an Escapade from the scratch and dent listing on Tower a while ago, and used some of my left over parts from my first one.See postings #31 and #124. This time I set it up using a Evolution 46, and balanced out with just 2 oz. of weight. What a sweet flying plane!! Plenty of power, almost unlimited vertical, and just glides in for landing. When I assembled, I fit 2 additional magnets, salvaged from small brushless motors, to the rear of the canope. All I do is place the canope in position, and the magnets pull it closed. It stays there throughout the flight.
I assume your 2 oz of lead was in the front? I am trying to decide if I want to go with a .46 or something in the .50 range.
Hewey19 is offline Find More Posts by Hewey19
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:07 AM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewey19 View Post
I assume your 2 oz of lead was in the front? I am trying to decide if I want to go with a .46 or something in the .50 range.
Not much of a difference here?
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Nov 23, 2009, 03:25 PM
USA, MI, Lansing
Joined Aug 2009
238 Posts
An OS .46ax or an OS .55ax is what I meant.
Hewey19 is offline Find More Posts by Hewey19
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:25 PM
Joined Oct 2006
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewey19 View Post
I used a steel block and mounted it to the firewall just below the engine mount. I also use a standard 600mAh nicd battery, up front along side the fuel tank. I am sure that if I switched to a 2000 mAh pack, mounted in the same location as the weight, that would also balance out without any additional weight.
arniebud is offline Find More Posts by arniebud
Last edited by arniebud; Nov 23, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 06:11 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Has anyone found a motor brand <Rimfire aside> that will mount right up to the Escapades factory wood box?

Both the E-Flite Power 46 and Turn 50-55 are a no go.

Hyperion also NG.

Thoughts?

Tommy
I'm flying mine with a Turnigy 3548 1100kV and it fits perfectly. I just had to enlarge the TR X-Mount holes a little to match up with the kit blind nuts. I'm even using the stock spinner and I've got about 1/8" clearance to the cheek. I fly with a 12x8E APC prop, a 3750 3S 20C Rhino pack and a 60 amp ESC with switching BEC. No CG problems with this setup. I've had no problems with the hatch, but you need to be sure and slide it back to engage the magnets.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Nov 25, 2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2009, 03:00 PM
non-recovering R/C addict
Wyoming, USA
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
Can someone measure the battery/tank compartment, please? Looking to see if a 3" wide by 5" long flat 5s a123 pack will fit. Thanks.
Kbofwy is offline Find More Posts by Kbofwy
Old Dec 03, 2009, 03:40 PM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
622 Posts
Hope this helps...
(The side crack was from a bad start with a chicken stick and is now fixed)

Tim
_HypnoToad_ is offline Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old Dec 03, 2009, 06:01 PM
non-recovering R/C addict
Wyoming, USA
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
Excellent, thanks Tim! That helps a bunch. Looks like I could squeeze my battery in there.
Kbofwy is offline Find More Posts by Kbofwy
Old Dec 07, 2009, 06:39 PM
I try...really I do!
Dover, DE
Joined Apr 2008
27 Posts
This plane is the best money I have spent in a long time! It is a blast to fly. I am using a Super Tiger right now, but I may step it up to a 46 AX. Awesome plane! Great Planes needs a 60 size now.
pmikeyg is offline Find More Posts by pmikeyg
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:21 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,720 Posts
It's a Christmas Miracle !!!!

My LHS just called and said my Escapade cowl that has been on back-order since April arrived today!! Yippee!! I'll be heading over there later and posting photos soon!

THAT was a long wait. Hope all of the others out there waiting can get their hands on one soon. Tower Hobbies now shows them "In Stock".

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:38 AM
"That's too low!"
Kokomo, IN
Joined Jan 2009
273 Posts
WOW!! And I thought I had a long wait. Mine's been on backorder since July, and it was shipped yesterday. I hope it was worth the wait...
flylower is offline Find More Posts by flylower
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:15 PM
La Réole Field
Verdelais (France)
Joined Dec 2009
10 Posts
The Escapade is really the plane I was waiting for to begin aerobatics programs

My Escapade is powered by an old 40 OS MAX FS and to my mind, it is the right formula to get confidence in the aerobatics training. I'had never flew a drag tail plane before and the first take offs and landings looked like if a drunk pilot was holding the sticks , but now the plane goes straight.

I put a Sullivan tail wheel bracket that works well, and I add 1,15 OZ of lead under the engine mount to reach the perfect balance. I placed the battery inside the Canopy hatch to let the tank room clear (in case of a fuel leak) and I made a window over the receiver to check the right plugs position. I recently made a hight speed spin and everything was O.K. after I've landed...

The 40 OS MAX has new spares and delivers the perfect power to fly the plane at the right speed when you want to do aerobatics in a limited area, and the Escapade is able to do stiff curves without loosing height; so I'm very happy with both the model and the engine.

Here are some photographs of my Escapade :

Name: 018.jpg
Views: 270
Size: 138.2 KB
Description: [ATTACH]Name: 014.jpg
Views: 314
Size: 119.7 KB
Description: [/ATTACH]Name: 014.jpg
Views: 314
Size: 119.7 KB
Description:
mustangaddict is offline Find More Posts by mustangaddict
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:38 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,720 Posts
It's so pretty!

I can't believe I'm this excited about a motor cowl. Should make this plane look a lot sharper.
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe