HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
Evan,
is that a glow motor????? how RETRO... lol...
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
157 Posts
Ouch. Hope the engine is OK. I tried to do mine in yesterday in windy weather, it kept popping up and wing tipping on landings, but the fourth attempt made it.
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:16 PM
Col. Foameister
ohio
Joined Jan 2010
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmay View Post
This subject sometimes leads to a little controversy but I found on my electric setups that the recommended CG was too far forward in actual flight. As a result the plane was fairly difficult to land. I've built 3 Escapades now and all have flown much better with the CG at ~70mm (~2.75 ") as measured with a GP CG machine. A couple of the highly experienced pilots in my club also flew my plane and agreed. YMMV.

Bill
I have just flown my new Escapade 40 electric with the CG at 3" and flys great. I started at the 2 1/2 in and had to add way too much nose weight to balance. I found that at 3" the plane lands and rotates much nicer with no surprises . I'm flying with a 4 cell lipo-60 amp esc and a 32 power eflite motor with the optional electric cowl. Very nice quality, and built like a plane should be. Love the looks! Good luck with yours, Bill.
polevaulter is offline Find More Posts by polevaulter
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
I agree. My only advice is to not try the rearward CG on the first flight. Rear CG and a potentially way out of trim plane is a combination for disaster. Trim it and then move the CG back.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
157 Posts
Really rocks going from 4s 3000mah to 4s 4000mah batts with a 40C rating. Climbs straight up now, and moves with a bit more speed.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,399 Posts
any one that has a power 32 or G-32 in there escapde could you post how you mounted the motor or even some pics. thanks
scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:09 AM
Victorville, CA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39 View Post
any one that has a power 32 or G-32 in there escapde could you post how you mounted the motor or even some pics. thanks
Here you go. I used half inch spacers and 6x32 by 1 inch machine screws to attach the mount to the wooden motor mount box. A friend gave me the G32 motor without any mounts so I used an X mount from a Firepower .32 size motor. I had to drill the outer holes out to fit the pattern of the blind nuts on the motor mount box. The inner pattern fits and uses 3 mm machine screws.

I use a 3300 mAh 4 cell battery and swing a 13x8 prop. With a collet prop adapter the plane balances at 3 inches aft of the leading edge with no additional weight. The previous motor I used was a Firepower 42-60-600 that weighed a couple ounces more. With that motor, the CG was at 2.5 inches aft of the leading edge. I notice no difference in flight characteristics.

Here's a link to the X motor mount that I use:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-for-30/Detail

Below is a picture of the motor mounted on the airplane. I plan on putting the cowl on but haven't measured to see how it will fit with the spacers extending the motor forward.

Good luck,
Brad
TriStar_drvr is offline Find More Posts by TriStar_drvr
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:08 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,399 Posts
the mounting looks good, wish i would have waited for the 32 to come into stock, i went with the rim 42-60 800 kv, i do have this motor in another plane and it flys it very well to.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
157 Posts
13x8?!? Brad, that must really be hauling! Not sure if my 60A esc could handle that.

I have the cowling, but haven't gotten the gumption to attach yet. Has anyone had a motor get real hot, as I think there would be less cooling. But you wouldn't be able to easily touch the motor anymore, so it might be hard to tell! My motor is running warmer with my nice new batts, but not hot.

Almost wrecked on takeoffs this past weekend - the plane was totally squirrelly on the runway, turning excessively. Lucky for me someone spotted that the back wheel wire was bent by 30 deg or so. :0 Seems like it could be a little sturdier. It probably got bent during transport.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:39 PM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
jumna,
try using a gyro for the easiest takeoffs you have ever done. there are a couple of great threads on here about gyros. my escapade was a handful on the runway until i installed one. i like a lot of rudder throw so i can do snaps and knife edge with authority..... i have dual rates on the radio, but it just adds another switch that may be in the wrong position at the wrong time,causing a sudden urge to yell "oh crap" so i set both low and high the same.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,766 Posts
My Escapade has been collecting dust for many months. My 5S packs were not holding up and since it was the only 5S plane I've got, I was in no rush to replace it.

Well, Hobby Partz just delivered a new 5S 4000mAh 40C pack to my doorstep. If I can get some time this week to install a Deans connector and do a radio check, I'll try to take her out this weekend for a spin. Love flying it when I can. Fast!
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
have at it!!!!! post videos!!!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,399 Posts
Wells folks i got my 2nd escapade off the ground this morning our weather held out for us for now, 36 degrees, 2 flights in the cold trimmed it out ok for now, the tail wheel sucks real bad for steering tho,tail wheel works good in the grass but i think on a hard runway it would not track well.rim fire motor, 4 cells and a 11x6 master airscrew prop and that worked real good for take off and good speed to.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:05 PM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
post some video!!!!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,399 Posts
i would like to get more vids of any of my planes flying buuuuuutttt its hard to fly and video at the same time.