HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2010, 01:31 PM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
696 Posts
Ken,

Thursday would be OK with me and AirNet forecasts low winds then too.

Anybody else want to come out and dogfight Ken, Mike and I?
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 02:17 PM
USA, IN, Avon
Joined Feb 2010
13 Posts
How thick is the foam on that P-51? I'd like to build one. Also, there isn't a scale on the drawing. What is the wingspan?
flyboy1015 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1015
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:15 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1015 View Post
How thick is the foam on that P-51? I'd like to build one. Also, there isn't a scale on the drawing. What is the wingspan?
Plans specify FFF material. About .2" thick. Wingspan is just under 30"

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:06 PM
Tualatin, OR
Joined Oct 2009
273 Posts
Bearcat Video

Video of a flying buddy's Bearcat. It was quite windy but the plane handled it pretty well. This is a beautiful airplane in the air, and flies very well.

Gary

SEMFF Bearcat (2 min 6 sec)
gjalbert is offline Find More Posts by gjalbert
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:57 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Two P-47's

Well, I worked up the P-47 B model into a VLF style with the elevator servo oriented like the aileron to get just a little bit of the horn sticking out. Also resized the hole for the aileron horn also. Looks much better in my opinion.

See what you think.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:15 PM
FPV Noob
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2008
228 Posts
Ken, the P-47 looks great!

Our little group in Indy did another session on Tuesday evening; what a great time! We're going to need more kits (PM coming on that).

I also have a few thoughts on contruction. First, have you given any thought to cutting the kits so that the flying surface is beveled instead of the control surface (beveling the TE of the wing instead of the LE of the aileron)? This provides a little more "meat" to mount the control horns. Second, I have already finished and flown a Hellcat and a Mustang (pics of the 'stang will be posted tonight) and used Gorilla glue on both. On the Hellcat I'm building now, I'm using 3M Super 78 spray glue and the plane feels lighter so far; not to mention drying time is shorter. I'll weigh the final product and post my findings.

I can't say it often enough; these planes are AWESOME!
Sailor Jerry is offline Find More Posts by Sailor Jerry
Last edited by Sailor Jerry; Jul 08, 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:34 PM
FPV Noob
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2008
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1015 View Post
Hey Flyboy, since you're in central IN send me a PM if you want to join our Tuesday evening sessions.
Sailor Jerry is offline Find More Posts by Sailor Jerry
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:19 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry View Post
Hey Flyboy, since you're in central IN send me a PM if you want to join our Tuesday evening sessions.
Ken, your planes are going Nationwide Brother!
Jimmy JFlyer is online now Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:39 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry View Post
Ken, the P-47 looks great!

Our little group in Indy did another session on Tuesday evening; what a great time! We're going to need more kits (PM coming on that).

I also have a few thoughts on contruction. First, have you given any thought to cutting the kits so that the flying surface is beveled instead of the control surface (beveling the TE of the wing instead of the LE of the aileron)? This provides a little more "meat" to mount the control horns. Second, I have already finished and flown a Hellcat and a Mustang (pics of the 'stang will be posted tonight) and used Gorilla glue on both. On the Hellcat I'm building now, I'm using 3M Super 78 spray glue and the plane feels lighter so far; not to mention drying time is shorter. I'll weigh the final product and post my findings.

I can't say it often enough; these planes are AWESOME!
That is an interesting idea changing the bevel direction. Though the horns that I use are designed with this feature in mind. Aerodynamics may or may not come into play here, but my thought were that with the bevel on the flying surface the air may get tripped into the front of the aileron. Though at full deflection there would be less drag. What to do, what to do?

I am interested in how the 3m Spray adhesive holds up. It certainly would make sanding out the fuselage easier.

Ready to make kits,
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:58 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
F4U Corsair in the works

Hi Folks,

SGTalon called me on the phone today and asked about doing a Corsair. I emailed him a file to work from, so he could give it a go, but I just could not help myself.

The F4U Corsair has a few challenges, but looks like it is doable. The inverted gull wing will be handled by baking the foam and wetting and bending dowel rod to hold the shape inserted in between the wing main panel and the KF step.

Thanks for the push Dennis!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:09 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
Ha!!!

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist! Looks awesome!! Dibs on the first kit too!

Not sure if i have enough !!!!!!! in this post.

How close to the wing profile were you able to get this Ken? Hard to tell from the view you have posted.

I wonder if making the outer laminations smaller to help with the rounding would work.

Might be more trouble than it is worth.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:12 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Wing profile is dead nuts on!

That is an interesting thought about the smaller laminations. Vertically I assume?

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jul 08, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:53 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjalbert View Post
Video of a flying buddy's Bearcat. It was quite windy but the plane handled it pretty well. This is a beautiful airplane in the air, and flies very well.

Gary
Gary,

Thanks for posting the flight video of your friends Bearcat. Now get some streamers on and have at it. It is challenging and loads of fun.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2010, 01:05 AM
Tualatin, OR
Joined Oct 2009
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Gary,

Thanks for posting the flight video of your friends Bearcat. Now get some streamers on and have at it. It is challenging and loads of fun.

Ken
Oh, we've started the streamer thing. I can't believe just how fun that is. We've had some kills, and even a few collisions. Nothing that can't be hot-glued back together. What a blast.

By the way, I'm in on the Corsair. This has always been my favorite warbird. Gotta have one.

Gary
gjalbert is offline Find More Posts by gjalbert
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:14 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,519 Posts
Ken, GWS should be worried! That corsair is cool.

Out of curiosity, have you given any thought to Axis planes, or is it just the Allied planes that hold your interest? It's all good.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus