Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 09, 2009, 07:38 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Some Sketchup and cnc

Here is the Me-163 and P-64 SU files. These are not what I would call plans, but will assist those who want to take things a step further.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Apr 10, 2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: removed bad data
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2009, 09:07 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Chaos,

Thanks for the links. The Me-163 is an interesting aircraft. I was looking at someones Me-163 yesterday that was electric prop on the nose. Doing around 200 mph. It really screamed and looked good doing it. Jim Fox Composites Rocket Me 163 (4 min 53 sec)Please excuse the audio. Not a song I would choose to show off the powerful flight performance.

I just looked up on YouTube and saw Mr. Burke's version with rocket motor in the tail.

Ken
2 words...
Holy.....Crap! thats just too much for my blood.
wow
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
Hey Ken, goes the search for the sweet 150 sq" class plane? Have you had a chance to cut the Me-163 or P-64 yet?
I know, too many planes, not enough FREE time.
I retired my Streetfighter after the last nose in. I just had a string of bad decisions to not wait for a calm day to fly & kept sending her up. Had lots of good flights & that large rudder will snap that sucker around in a heartbeat. Great loops too. Fortunately the nose is a glue on so it just needs another nose. But, alas, the gear is being donated to Gene's Blu51cd. Doing her with 1.5" dihedral each wing & also adding rudder. I'm gonna build it 30" ws per plans and use that to learn flying a low winger & also use it as a aileron trainer. Supposed to be quite stable for a low wing. The Streetfighter was a bit of a thumb work out for my inexperienced thumbs. The larger Stang should slow it down some.

Looking forward to any progress on this concept!
TTFN
Jimmy
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:11 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Jimmy,

I have cut out both planes. I am however stalled on them as I am buying materials and prepping for Oshkosh. I am thinking that 150 sq. in. might be too large for the C20 set up. It will fly it okay, but add the drag of a streamer and not sure. Will try it anyway.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:25 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
hrmmm. I don't have any experience with the C20 yet... what is its capabilities compared to the BW? 1300, 1500, 1700kv...
I am looking forward to the P64.
If I didn't have so many projects of my own, I would like to try & learn some on my SU & do my own. What would the P64's ws be at 150 sq"s?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:51 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Jimmy,

I have cut out both planes. I am however stalled on them as I am buying materials and prepping for Oshkosh. I am thinking that 150 sq. in. might be too large for the C20 set up. It will fly it okay, but add the drag of a streamer and not sure. Will try it anyway.

Ken
150 sq in and a c20 sounds about right to me. Coarse I am thinking slo-combat. Anyway build it a little big and then cut it down if you want to fly faster. That's normal development according to Dave Powers.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:33 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
The P-64 will be the first one off the board. I have all the control surfaces hinged. Ready to glue in the wing spars (1/8" dowel rod). Cutting 1" diameter X 1/16" thick ply firewalls today.

Ken

PS - Don, I'm setting up the Phlatprinter in the garage and will be cutting your parts soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:54 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
P-64 back in action

Recently we have been discussing foamie combat over in the SEMFF thread. A number of us would like to fly one design using low cost components and all the interested parties seem to like this P-64.

I have been updating the Sketchup file and brought the first patterns that got cut last year up to speed.

The design parameters have been upgraded somewhat. Changes include;
1. Go from ELE C20 motor to the popular Blue Wonder 1700 Kv motor.

2. Change up from 5g to 9g servos. You could always go back down.

3. Added a KFm2 step to wing, along with horizontal and vertical fuselage doublers.

Projected AUW will be 182g / 6.3 oz. This is with a 900 mAh 2s battery. Probably a skosh more once some strapping tape and paint is added.

Looking good Jimmy!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:22 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,141 Posts
What is the span on this guy Ken?

I think that the printed warbirds thread has a ton of planes in this same category that would work great for the type of combat we are looking at.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Last edited by SGTalon; Jul 13, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
Rock on Ken! We are gonna have some serious fun with these guys.
Luv that AUW. Makes it much easier to stay with the 2s batts we'll be using.

Man this is going to be fun.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:33 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
What is the span on this guy Ken?

I think that the printed warbirds thread has a ton of planes in this same category that would work great for the type of combat we are looking at.
Dennis,

The wingspan is 28.5"

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:24 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
The P-64 will be the first one off the board. I have all the control surfaces hinged. Ready to glue in the wing spars (1/8" dowel rod). Cutting 1" diameter X 1/16" thick ply firewalls today.

Ken

PS - Don, I'm setting up the Phlatprinter in the garage and will be cutting your parts soon.

Way kool. This will be fun!
Don
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Mar 24, 2010, 03:07 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
P-64 Update!

Servos are mounted, and added doublers on the fuselage upper profile. They run from the nose to the windscreen and down to the back of the KF step. Used 1/2" wide strapping tape on top and bottom of wing spanwise. Firewall installed. Will make the pushrods this evening. and it will be complete.

Gotta put a camo scheme on this one. There are very few photographs of these planes. Some that are out there are T-6s converted to P-64s and don't look that great.

I will post some pics of the finished airframe this evening.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:24 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,111 Posts
Can't wait to hear the goods on the finished product Ken.
Question...where do you get your 1/2 inch strapping tape? I haven't founbd it anywhere yet. Just the wide tape.

Agreed on the camo. That just looks too nice and more realistic. I really liike the other paint job too but on a Warbird, I am a sucker for realism.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:42 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,386 Posts
P-64 is all but ready to fly

All I need is my 1700 Kv BW motor and a paint job. This bird is wired and ready to fly.

I believe that I will need to move some components around a bit. She seems nose heavy. Especially knowing that KFm2 has a more aft CG.

However the AUW is 191.8g / 6.67 oz. If we keep the paint light she'll stay under 7 oz.

Figured out a neat way to manage the servo wires. I ended up putting a slot in the related doubler then burying the wire in the slot and taping over it with cellophane tape. See attached images.

Ken
RCG Plus Member