SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2009, 11:00 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Actually, didn;t need to raise it at all. Springer, what you mentioned is the smartest way to do it & after posting, I realised it too. Just turned the mount clockwise, added slight shim top right(when facing motor from frt.) gives good down & rt thrust which I believe is needed. I flew the IPS this morning & she kept wanting to tip the left wing down.

Sooooo. add some right & down thrust, a ballsy 1300 kv BW and she took off out of my hand w/o any push from me. Took off like a bat outta . Too bad it was too dark to see what I was doing. But make no mistake, this plane is going to be fun as a barrel O monkeys to fly. She'll be in the back of the truck at all times & the first sign of no winds, up she goes.

Hey Ken, are you gonna start doing the planes AET vs RET?

I have the Wild Hawk gear & am thinking I am gonna do a big 40+"ws RET fun stang with a bunch of dihedral. Like a big honkin Park Flyer Pete. The motor is a 380 can. Would like to do a big RET just for having fun.
Stay Tuned...
Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Apr 06, 2009 at 07:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:07 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracus
Hello

I have a Budget RC ME109 & P47 these were my 1st time building and it was fairly easy. I only have one problem now that is TX settings(Hitec Eclipse) i need to decrease the sensitivity of the ailerons i lowered the end points on the ailerons because it rolls really fast. So would the correct way be adding expo or D/R I'm not to good at radio programming yet.

Kyle
HI Kyle,

Those Budget RC models are really nice kits. I would suggest that rather than using the end point adjustment, that you set the throws with the dual rate capability. Then if you still need further sensitivity control add in some exponential. Once you get the radio programming figured out your gonna love it.

What motor are you using on your birds?

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:23 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
I like it Ken.
Is this a version of an actual warbird? If this was your design, how do you go about figuring where the CG needs to be?...

Jimmy
Jimmy,

THis is an actual warbird that has an interesting history. It was produced by North American for export. Originally a single seat version of the very successfull AT-6 (Texan). The following is the opening paragraph from Wikipedia on this subject. Interesting reading.

The designator North American P-64 was assigned by the U.S. Army Air Corps to six North American model NA-68 aircraft seized by the US government that were destined for Thialand when that country was invaded by Japanese forces in World War II. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_P-64

Not true to scale I enlarged the tail surfaces by 10%. Also want to model to be a simple cruciform. That raises the wing and lowers the horizontal tail. K.I.S.S. method here. I like the looks as a profile model better than the Budget RC models. What they have done is okay, I just think it goes too far for a simple model. I saw Budget RC's booth at Toledo and they had a couple on display. That confirmed my decision to stay with a simpler style represented here in this thread.

CG is simple! find the MAC or average chord and go back 25-33% depending on how you want it to fly.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:36 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,766 Posts
Another cool design for this class

Skypileit posted a neat picture in the SEMMF thread and I thought this would be an awsome entry for this class of model.

The ME 163 Komet.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2009, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Skypileit posted a neat picture in the SEMMF thread and I thought this would be an awsome entry for this class of model.

The ME 163 Komet.

Ken
I for one would LOVE to see how one of you that actually know's what you are doing would set this one up. I am definately not that person so if anyone does get the gumption to do this guy, please post your adventure here!
thx
Jimmy
Old Apr 06, 2009, 11:12 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,766 Posts
Jimmy,

The Me163 would probably be one of the better looking profile warbirds due to its symmetry. Setup for this would be 25% of MAC using elevons with slight reflex. That means the elevons are trimmed to be up a little. Build it as a chuckie first to get the reflex and CG confirmed, then go to town on the actual model. I am sure that this has been done already and can be found. Even plans are probably out there.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2009, 11:58 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Gpw did one. Most of the ME163 models I have seen seem to have some washout in the wing tips..
My old cartoon Me163 flew fine without...but it did have parallel chord wing....
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Apr 06, 2009, 08:10 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
HI Kyle,

Those Budget RC models are really nice kits. I would suggest that rather than using the end point adjustment, that you set the throws with the dual rate capability. Then if you still need further sensitivity control add in some exponential. Once you get the radio programming figured out your gonna love it.

What motor are you using on your birds?

Ken
Ok I have never used D/R before so what would a good start point be? I mostly fly Heli's so I know about expo some what ok. The Hitec is good but i only use it on the foamies I also have a DX6i on my Esky Belt-Cp heli.
Im using two different motors
ME-109 20g 2300kv hextronik outrunner-http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8478
P-47 - 17g 2100kv outrunner came as a combo

Kyle
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:30 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,766 Posts
More work

Kyle,

Looks like you are getting it together. Looking forward to hear your flight report.

Did some more modeling in Sketchup this evening. Added the C20 motor to the P-64 and got the Me-163 into Sketchup as well. Both are scaled to 150 sq. in. wing area.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Apr 07, 2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:41 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,651 Posts
If you are taking vote I'm for the P-64. The Me-163 just does not inspire me.

Details, details...moving the ailerons in would make connecting them to one servo a lot easier.
Don
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:47 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
If you are taking vote I'm for the P-64. The Me-163 just does not inspire me.

Details, details...moving the ailerons in would make connecting them to one servo a lot easier.
Don
Definitely agree with you on the ailerons Don. Also running them straight out instead of that little nip of foam on the tip.

On another note Don. Would you be available around 3:30 tomorrow, that I might stop by and get another Rascal wing set baked?

Ken

BTW the Me163 might be a hotter contender in combat, but the P-64 sure has some nice lines.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2009, 11:15 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Ken, would the Me163 be elevons?
Old Apr 07, 2009, 06:46 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
Ken, would the Me163 be elevons?
You are correct.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:53 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,479 Posts
dz1sfb,
Good thread, outstanding idea, thanks!
Still flying my streetfighter, tough little bird too.
Three servos, one elevator, no rudder, one each aileron (channel 6 flap switch adds that element of surprise )

bzrmc1,
Komet inspiration? Allup servos equal only two. I use XMTR ‘elevator’ trim lever to crank in reflex for outstanding dead stick glide path.

Viking60 did a sweetheart
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=komet

See Zaurak3’s Komet
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=komet
and post 38-39-40 (Burke)
I know you will probably go all electric
But check out Mr Burke’s Komet

Subscribed
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:03 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,766 Posts
Super Fast Electric Me-163

Chaos,

Thanks for the links. The Me-163 is an interesting aircraft. I was looking at someones Me-163 yesterday that was electric prop on the nose. Doing around 200 mph. It really screamed and looked good doing it. Jim Fox Composites Rocket Me 163 (4 min 53 sec)Please excuse the audio. Not a song I would choose to show off the powerful flight performance.

I just looked up on YouTube and saw Mr. Burke's version with rocket motor in the tail.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Apr 07, 2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added content