SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2010, 06:01 PM
United States, WI, Avoca
Joined Dec 2003
223 Posts
Old crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Got the "OLD CROW" done. Well almost. Just need to add the B6 and S on the RH side of the fuselge. Very happy with the way this one turned out.

This plane is a good flyer, but likes to fly on the wing. Not a prop hanger.

Ken
Ken, that thing is beautiful
What a nice plane..WoW
Prop s.
Prop stitches is offline Find More Posts by Prop stitches
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2010, 06:29 PM
Master of the Touch and Tumble
On the green side of the Grass
Joined Jan 2005
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
bummer indeed! (he said remembering only a couple of weeks ago he was within spittin' distance of Midland in Snyder). I thought CAF was in harlingen. When did they move?
I believe it was in the late 80's or early 90's, my parents lived 20 miles from Harlingen, used to see some flying around.
RadioActive is offline Find More Posts by RadioActive
Old Oct 08, 2010, 07:02 PM
United States, WI, Avoca
Joined Dec 2003
223 Posts
Bug ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus View Post
That get's my vote as the best excuse for (nearly) crashing! "It was a giant eye-sucking bug I tell ya"

(Actually I had a small bug land in the middle of my eye-glasses while maidening a plane last weekend, it was annoying but nowhere near 2cm big.)
Ask Jimmy JFlyer what it is, I bet it is one of those "Lesser Spotted Tree Weevels !"
Prop s.
Prop stitches is offline Find More Posts by Prop stitches
Old Oct 09, 2010, 02:57 PM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
i have yet to identify that huge bug that landed on my eye, but the field is covered in what look like bullet holes and are about the size and depth of my thumb.
the dang things where there for weeks and as soon as it started to get dusky they swarmed out the ground and straight for me stood on the field, it was fun tho chopping em up with a prop on a low pass or walking back after a flight as they where 10000's of em.
i wish i had it on cam as it was very strange as no one that lived near the field had seen them before, neither had i and ive played on that field since i was a kid and went to the school whos field it was strange.

i also crashed my spit batt got spat out and splat, broke off the motor and a bit of the front nose, it was a bit windy and thought sod it im off to fly. i wanted to test out my new servo set up, i used a x horn with the rods at the top vs a - horn with em at each end as it was adding differential and wanted non diff.
it deffo felt less twitchy with no diff at small stick movements.
i also think the VLF front bulk head is bit week, so i added a bit of 6mm and then put the firewall on that, which should have 2 effects one being a beefup of the front, 2nd being as the motor is a bit more to the front i might be able to get rid of some nose weight a 2p and 2 1p coins and make it a bit lighter, i hope.
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:39 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
437 Posts
P-39 Airacobra

Up front, thanks for this great thread, and all these neat designs. I started building a P-51D of my own design a few weeks ago, and my results were poor. My design is scale, profile, and coroplast. Its flies, but not well. I had perused this thread numerous times, and realized my plane was using the same power system you guys are using. I love these 1700kv bw motors. Anyway, I started looking at your P-51D design, really liking your build method, and then I noticed you added a P-39 in August.

I'm just over half way through cutting out all the parts, and its coming together well. I have made some changes. Being Canadian, FFF is not really an option, so I am using Readiboard, sans paper. Given that readiboard is nominally 4mm thick, and FFF is nominally 5mm thick, I have chosen to double the center section of the fuse, giving me a fuse that is ~24mm thick vs a fuse that is ~25mm thick with FFF. Of course, if I used the plans 5 sections, the fuse would be ~20mm thick, which I don't think would fit my gear. I am laminating the fuse with gorilla glue.

I haven't seen any one else building one of these, has one actually been built yet? Should there be dihedral on the wing? If so, how much? The real plane appears to have 4~5 degrees of dihedral. I am unclear on some of the servo installation steps. Mainly how to attach the servo arms once the fuse has been fully laminated?

Thanks for the neat designs, I might be trying to push all my flying buddies in this direction, depends on how mine turns out; I'm the guinea pig here. We're all interested in combat though.
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:37 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,170 Posts
Ace welcome . I to use rediboard and have had to modify to fit . Ive made a spit and have a BF109 and Mig 3 in the Hanger waiting for me to get my new airbrush figured out . i added 2 extra int panels to the later 2 planes with great results although because of the 109's tail configuration i had to modify it there a bit aswell . I also never cutout the aileron servo patterns on the outside 2 int layers as 3 layers of rediboard fit my servo perfectly

I cant say ive seen anyone but Ken's P38 i would put some dihedral in the wings though the plans call for none . As for the servos it looks as though they can be installed after the plane is assembled on this one so power them up and center them and install control horns before gluing them in place . A wrap of masking tape around the servo before gluing can help with removal after you destroy the air frame . I really like the look of that P39 and its looking like a good candidate to replace my recently recycled spit
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:47 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Ace,

Dihedral on most low wing airplanes (models) was usually about 5-7 degrees, mid wing 3-5 degrees top wings 0-3 degrees. For scale appearance you could add whatever you think looks right, so your 4-5 degree angle is close enough. KFm airfoils have some stability about them, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. A WWII fighter just doen't look right without some dihedral!

Your explination of foam alterations sounds good too. You can always sand the rear 2 center panels to a long angle at mid to tail section to thin down the rudder area somewhat, and that would look a little more 'scale' too.

Someone, if not Ken himself must have built the P-39, at least as a prototype to see that the plans all came out right. Hope to hear a report too! Ken did post this, on the post showing the sketchup view and plans: :
Quote:
P-39 Airacobra Plans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally got this one done. I think this was one of Patric's faves.
Good luck, and share some pictures!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Oct 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 01:06 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,454 Posts
Ace,

Sounds like the guys have given you good direction. These planes fly great with or without dihedral. Adding some in gives them an even more scale appearance, and certainly adds some roll stability. Do not mistake roll stability to equal easy flying. These birds have a lightening like roll rate. So keep the throws small if you want to keep it a bit docile. 1/4" or less on the ailerons and 3/8" on the elevators from center.

I have not built all of these designs. However I have applied the same design principal to all of them. They are also modeled in 3D before I even make the plans. I only know of a couple that have not been built yet. You are doing one the P-39 also the P-40, which I would like to do next.

I have just finished building and maidening my Mig3 this AM. I expect the P-39 to fly similarly. They both have long noses and short tail moments. The Mig CG comes out a bit forward, but not bad. It flys very well and is smooth in its movements (thanks to forward CG).

One thing I did different on my Mig was to add two 1/8" x 24" dowel rods, one on top of the other like I did for the Corsair, except no dihedral. This meant putting a groove in both the KF panel and wing panel in line with one another. This made for a very light low cost and strong spar. It also alleviated the need for strapping tape on the outside. I just used some packing tape on the top and bottom of the LE of the finished wing. The packing tape really toughens up the LE. Many wing to wing contacts has validated its effectiveness in my book.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:57 PM
Tualatin, OR
Joined Oct 2009
273 Posts
Ken,

Have you made any more progress on the Corsair? I am really interested in your version of this classic aircraft. In fact I'd be interesting in buying a kit from you if you expect to make them available. Not sure I'm up to building the gull wing myself.

Gary
gjalbert is offline Find More Posts by gjalbert
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:38 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
437 Posts
Gentlemen, thanks for all the tips and info. I will be building in 5-7 degrees of dihedral. I'm rather excited about this build, but man, it sure is a lot of work. My usual plane is profile at best, so this is a first for me with the build method. Finished cutting out all the fuse parts this evening, and I can see why people build cnc driven dremels to cut this stuff out.

I figured I was the first one to build one of these, or to build one and post it anyway. I will keep posting up dates as they come. I'm going to go set up the fuse to glue over night with some gorilla glue. Might even get the wing cut out and laid up tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to a maiden later in the week.
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:48 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Looks great, and now you can cut foam in 182 different directions without scraping a part! LOL! You did a really fine job with the knife! Waiting to see more pictures and reports!

Should fly great, like a P-39! Eager to hear.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:56 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjalbert View Post
Ken,

Have you made any more progress on the Corsair? I am really interested in your version of this classic aircraft. In fact I'd be interesting in buying a kit from you if you expect to make them available. Not sure I'm up to building the gull wing myself.

Gary
Gary,

Many projects have gotten in the way of finishing the plans for the Corsair. I was going to wait to get a full fuselage on this bird similar to what I am doing for the La-7, but now believe that I should release it as initially designed (VLF).

The plans are there mostly ready. Detailing the aileron servo installation is my hold up right now. I can release the drawings as is, but there will be many questions about how to do the aileron servo(s). This will be more of a craftsman design, that will require some degree of experience to complete.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
ive been meaning to ask about the corsair too as ive not seen much on it in a while.

i also found this decal thread, dont know if you have seen it but its full o goody's for all types of planes, from prop decals to shark mouth p40 ones,loads and loads.
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:33 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,170 Posts
you mean this 1 ? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359029
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:06 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,454 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I will check it out.

Introducing my Mig3. JonUK's looked so nice in the winter camo scheme, I just had to do one. The AUW is in the 8.5 oz range. I will weigh again since painting and give the actual.

Ken
RCG Plus Member