Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2009, 11:20 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Discussion
Sloping from the bottom of a cliff

I just had the most fun I have ever had flying anything RC with my Revert today.

I went to Dog Beach, down in Huntington Beach. And My first flight off the small cliff( ~30 feet high) was probably one of the worst spots to try to fly from. The winds were pretty high ~15-25, and I tried flying it un-ballasted(forgot ballast and tape at home, and its flying weight is 5.4OZ) and it kind of hovered turned just a bit to the left and got thrown really hard to the left, I tried bringing it near me, but I lost altitude and eventually crashed on the beach. I had to walk all the way down to the ramp on the right of the beach, and go back down the beach to get the glider.

When I was down there, I wondered if I just could fly it from the sand. The first flight didn't last that long, but I eventually could get consistent 10 minute flights. I was flying in a really small radius, doing lots of a fast and tight turns, and If I needed to land it was incredibly easy to just set it down lightly in the sand.

I loved it so much because it removed all the risk and annoyance of flying on top a cliff, as when it fell I did not have to walk down into the unknown to find it, I just walked over to it, gave it a toss and it was back into the air. Although once I was too greedy trying to get more lift by flying closer to the edge of the small cliff.

Have any of you guys flown your sloper plane throwing it from the bottom of a cliff instead of throwing it off one?
AttackingHobo is offline Find More Posts by AttackingHobo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2009, 11:28 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
Hmmm...gotta try that.
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Mar 05, 2009, 11:31 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,261 Posts
When I was living in the Puget Sound region of Washington State I'd take an e-sailplane and launch from the beach. Once you climbed atop the cliff it was motor off and fly with the baldies. In those parts most slopes are covered with 100' Douglas Firs but this worked a treat!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 05, 2009, 11:37 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhaney
Hmmm...gotta try that.
Oh, hey you live pretty close to me, and even closer to Dog Beach. You know where Dog Beach is? If you don't know where it is....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=18&iwloc=addr

I am going to fly there tomorrow I think. If you have the time, and are in the area, try stopping by. I should be there from 5:00 - 5:45. If you see a random blue flying wing pop up above the cliff line and float around with the seagulls, I am probably below, and for your information, and anyone else who will want to fly that site, I am running on channel 49.
Old Mar 05, 2009, 11:51 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
Flown there a couple of times in the past. I'll try and make it tommorw...depends on kids and rides.
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Mar 05, 2009, 11:52 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhaney
Flown there a couple of times in the past. I'll try and make it tommorw...depends on kids and rides.
Ahhh, that reminds me, I am going to try to make my removeable ballast tonight......

Hmmmmm. How can I estimate arround 2-3 OZ of lead shot?
Old Mar 06, 2009, 12:15 AM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
870 Posts
I just filled a ballast hole tonight with 4oz of lead shot, and I would say it equaled about 2 tablespoons, filled just to the level mark, not heaping.
flytrip is online now Find More Posts by flytrip
Old Mar 06, 2009, 12:26 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrip
I just filled a ballast hole tonight with 4oz of lead shot, and I would say it equaled about 2 tablespoons, filled just to the level mark, not heaping.
I figured it out, I got the kitchen scale out and figured it had gram measurements, sure its not 100% accurate, buy nothing on my glider is, and it is loads of fun anyways. I just put arround 2 OZ of shot in a small baggie, tapped it shut, and securrly tapped it under the top covering, but on the body/wing of the REVERT. It should be now tipping the scales at 7-8 OZ. (My combat wing is arround 21OZ)
Old Mar 06, 2009, 12:42 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,190 Posts
If you don't need high accuracy, you can get a good estimate by just the feel of the weight in your hand. Five good ol' American quarters equals one ounce. So if you want 3 ounces, put $3.75 worth of quarters in one hand, and then pour your lead shot in the other hand until they "feel" the same weight.

I'd like to give Dog Beach a try someday, but I'm really trying to get some building done tomorrow. We'll see. Have fun!
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2009, 03:48 AM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Yes fly several coastal cliff sites from the beach, much warmer on cold days and landings are easy. Flying down close to the beach from a good height is great as you can really hear the model in the no-wind zone. I have walked 4 miles flying from the beach, at my local site it means my wife can come along for a walk without getting blown away on the cliff edge.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Old Mar 06, 2009, 05:52 AM
Lysekil, Sweden
Joined Feb 2009
22 Posts
I some times fly my Pibros at this small cliff, mostly from the street beneath: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9704203

The small wave breaking wall at the ocean creates forces enough to get up to the bigger lift. At stronger winds even that wave breaker is fun, but narrow, to fly on

But s--t happens: Once I hit the parking sign in the picture and ended up in the (salt) water. I flew to long into the dawn and lost directions of the plane. Got quite wet getting the plane back...
kamikazekalle is offline Find More Posts by kamikazekalle
Last edited by kamikazekalle; Mar 06, 2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2009, 07:03 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,997 Posts
Yep, do it often on local coastal dunes near my place. You're not allowed to walk on the dunes, so a good toss from the bottom gets a plane into the air no worries
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Mar 06, 2009, 08:51 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonsoarer
Yes fly several coastal cliff sites from the beach, much warmer on cold days and landings are easy. Flying down close to the beach from a good height is great as you can really hear the model in the no-wind zone.
Yeah, when I was walking to the Beach from the bus stop, with the same type of wind that is present on the top of the cliff, my hands where starting to go numb, but when I was at the bottom there was very little wind when I was standing close to the cliff, and my hands where warm
Old Mar 06, 2009, 01:07 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackingHobo
Yeah, when I was walking to the Beach from the bus stop, with the same type of wind that is present on the top of the cliff, my hands where starting to go numb, but when I was at the bottom there was very little wind when I was standing close to the cliff, and my hands where warm

Yeah many on the slope might call me a fair-weather flyer but I just like being in the comfort-zone, I know all the warm spots on my regular slopes
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Old Mar 06, 2009, 02:04 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
I've had a lot of fun flying my EasyGlider (no motor) from the bottom of dunes .
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1