SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:02 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
He doesn't own one so he has no idea of it's potential or Tecnical Prowess.
-JohnW
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony
Just ordered my parts. Note to self, when it is cold out do not try to fly the MD530 in a small space(living room). Just missed the 65" LCD on the wall and let it down just in time but ruined the blades and cracked the fuse. I HATE the stupid throttle trim garbage. It is just one more step to worry about. It is a stupid design. I guess I will wait for the sh*tty Upstate NY weather to break.
Hey Tony. As soon as you get you PC software loaded ,go into the throttle pitch curce settings page and click the "Autorotation" switch to activate.

This way your switch on the LT side of the TX will be throttle hold and you can kill the rotors quickly if you have to while still using the governor and high trim settings. I love the governor mode. I fly it on both my Copter X and this one but it is a lttile different as far as the trim settings go.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:36 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51
OK It's a toy. A high priced toy but still a toy. Get real this heli is nothing more than a computer controlled toy. The first time I saw it about a year ago I thought (What the hell is this doing in a RC mag.) Some will say,(this is getting more people into the hobby.) I say this is cheating everyone's gifts. It will hurt the hobby because you are going to get this influx of new people getting Trexes and blade 400's thinking they can fly out of the box.
All RC helis are toys in the end. Some just more expensive and difficult than others. This one is stable but dont be fooled into thinking this is a big coax toy. It has to flown just like any other 450. It has all the same baseline elctronics as a T Rex does and will fly just like one if set up to do so. Its not just some big Wal Mart Picco Z to fool people into thinking they can fly RC helis.

All opinions are welcome, but please guys dont let this thread go down the same path as some of the first SJM and Rex 250 threads that had to be closed because they turned into more people slapping each other around rather than giving info for the people that own and enjoy the heli.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:30 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
Hey Tony. As soon as you get you PC software loaded ,go into the throttle pitch curce settings page and click the "Autorotation" switch to activate.

This way your switch on the LT side of the TX will be throttle hold and you can kill the rotors quickly if you have to while still using the governor and high trim settings. I love the governor mode. I fly it on both my Copter X and this one but it is a lttile different as far as the trim settings go.
Thank you. I must have done something wrong but do not know what. Mine will not lift off the ground and when you get past half way on the throttle, it does not make the head spin any faster. I went through the setup twice and no change. Any ideas?
Thank you,
TONY.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:36 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Thank you. I must have done something wrong but do not know what. Mine will not lift off the ground and when you get past half way on the throttle, it does not make the head spin any faster. I went through the setup twice and no change. Any ideas?
Thank you,
TONY.
Thats pretty much the stock setup in mode O. There is barely any pitch set in this heli from the factory. Mode 1 has just a wee bit more but not much and the headspeed is 200 RPM higher.
In governor mode the throttle will do nothing for you other than control pitch. Once it spins up to its pre set RPM it stays there so your maxed out at that point.
Your going to need the PC software to make your pitch and RPM changes before you will get it to fly the way you like. The cool thing is that John and I could e mail you the setup we are using and you could pop it in instantly to try if you like
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:33 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Thats pretty much the stock setup in mode O. There is barely any pitch set in this heli from the factory. Mode 1 has just a wee bit more but not much and the headspeed is 200 RPM higher.
In governor mode the throttle will do nothing for you other than control pitch. Once it spins up to its pre set RPM it stays there so your maxed out at that point.
Your going to need the PC software to make your pitch and RPM changes before you will get it to fly the way you like. The cool thing is that John and I could e mail you the setup we are using and you could pop it in instantly to try if you like
Thanks for the help X. I am just curous as to how you flew it without the software cus mine would not leave the ground with the throttle all the way up and the throttle trim all the way up. I have been following the other thread since existance and everyone is able to atleast fly it out of the box. I must have done something wrong in the setup but did it twice with no change.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:36 PM
Czech Republic, Europe
Joined Mar 2009
32 Posts
Innovator battery: successfull rebuild

So after thinking part it came to cutting and soldering part

First of all: YES, it's WORKING ! Now, I can use any Li-Po 3S1P battery I want, and connect it to original charger and Innovator heli. Everythings works except battery temperature (logicaly, as you can see, sensor is outside the battery now ) ... now it's measuring outdoor temperature.

I didn't fly with new battery yet, only start up motor for few seconds. I'll let you know if higher capacity of the battery will have the efect on flight time, but definitely it will have a positive impact to power of the motor (especialy when quicky changing blades angle).

Hardest part of rebuild is separation original battery and circuit board, because they are very closely soldered together. Ok, it's no so hard, if you don't want to use you original Li-Po again

I didn't have enough time to invent best way how to nicely and quickly fasten battery to heli. It may vary according to used battery size. For sizes similar to original one (esp. height and width) you can normally use heli's battery tray. For bigger ones you have to experiment ... betweend skids top and yellow body or between skids for really huge ones

The main reason why I did it, is MONEY. Gold Ray Li-Po 2200mAh 3S1P 11.1V costs near to a HALF of the price original red innovator battery.
pipka is offline Find More Posts by pipka
Old Mar 10, 2009, 05:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipka
So after thinking part it came to cutting and soldering part

First of all: YES, it's WORKING ! Now, I can use any Li-Po 3S1P battery I want, and connect it to original charger and Innovator heli. Everythings works except battery temperature (logicaly, as you can see, sensor is outside the battery now ) ... now it's measuring outdoor temperature.

I didn't fly with new battery yet, only start up motor for few seconds. I'll let you know if higher capacity of the battery will have the efect on flight time, but definitely it will have a positive impact to power of the motor (especialy when quicky changing blades angle).

Hardest part of rebuild is separation original battery and circuit board, because they are very closely soldered together. Ok, it's no so hard, if you don't want to use you original Li-Po again

I didn't have enough time to invent best way how to nicely and quickly fasten battery to heli. It may vary according to used battery size. For sizes similar to original one (esp. height and width) you can normally use heli's battery tray. For bigger ones you have to experiment ... betweend skids top and yellow body or between skids for really huge ones

The main reason why I did it, is MONEY. Gold Ray Li-Po 2200mAh 3S1P 11.1V costs near to a HALF of the price original red innovator battery.
Good Job! I think i will stick with my originals though......too much work for me

How much longer are your flight times?
Last edited by Xrayted; Mar 10, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 05:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help X. I am just curous as to how you flew it without the software cus mine would not leave the ground with the throttle all the way up and the throttle trim all the way up. I have been following the other thread since existance and everyone is able to atleast fly it out of the box. I must have done something wrong in the setup but did it twice with no change.
Mine would barely lift in mode 0 and very slow in mode 1. If you descended too fast it would not have the ability to change directions again without 10 feet to do it.

You will be happy once you can get the PC software. You can mechanically increase your pitch by making the white links to the blade grips equally longer on both sides but make sure yoy remember how many turns so you can set them back to factory.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 05:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Mine would barely lift in mode 0 and very slow in mode 1. If you descended too fast it would not have the ability to change directions again without 10 feet to do it.

You will be happy once you can get the PC software. You can mechanically increase your pitch by making the white links to the blade grips equally longer on both sides but make sure yoy remember how many turns so you can set them back to factory.
Thank you, John shipped my parts today(I hope). I will have the software on Thur so the first thing I will do is change the settings. I am dying to fly this thing. Already drooled all over it when I opened it.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Thank you, John shipped my parts today(I hope). I will have the software on Thur so the first thing I will do is change the settings. I am dying to fly this thing. Already drooled all over it when I opened it.
It has a 5 point pitch curve setup just like any other decent TX has so you can switch it out quickly. Take a look at the factory expo settings as well. They are very high. I dropped mine to 20-30%
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:12 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,519 Posts
Quote:
All RC helis are toys in the end. Some just more expensive and difficult than others. This one is stable but dont be fooled into thinking this is a big coax toy. It has to flown just like any other 450. It has all the same baseline elctronics as a T Rex does and will fly just like one if set up to do so. Its not just some big Wal Mart Picco Z to fool people into thinking they can fly RC helis.

All opinions are welcome, but please guys dont let this thread go down the same path as some of the first SJM and Rex 250 threads that had to be closed because they turned into more people slapping each other around rather than giving info for the people that own and enjoy the heli.
Sorry I shouldn't get into a fight with my wife and go away to the computer. This just reminded me of when I worked at the hobby store and people would bring in their niko or tyco rc cars and wandered why we couldn't get parts for it. Sure the cars went as fast and jumped as far as some of ours, but I would have to tell them it's just a toy and they would get just as pissed. I guess all this module stuff has had me thinking the same. If you have problems the only people you can turn to is thunder tiger. Just like I had to tell the people who came in. You have to goto niko or tyco for repair parts. So now you know the angle I was meaning to go with on this. Not that you couldn't make the heli fly like a trex. And again my apologies.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:51 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Yup come on you know me Tony it shipped today!
Cheers, JohnW
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:57 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I shouldn't get into a fight with my wife and go away to the computer. This just reminded me of when I worked at the hobby store and people would bring in their niko or tyco rc cars and wandered why we couldn't get parts for it. Sure the cars went as fast and jumped as far as some of ours, but I would have to tell them it's just a toy and they would get just as pissed. I guess all this module stuff has had me thinking the same. If you have problems the only people you can turn to is thunder tiger. Just like I had to tell the people who came in. You have to goto niko or tyco for repair parts. So now you know the angle I was meaning to go with on this. Not that you couldn't make the heli fly like a trex. And again my apologies.
You are way off base here. If there is a Problem my Customers have:
1- Me for Help. i sell and fly both Innovators. with full parts support.
2-Ace is my Distributor and has excellent CS for me the Dealer and other Customers.
I have two t-rex 450's and the EXP fly's better than both in every way.
-JohnW
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Ahh, Im not torn up at all over it man Many have made the point that you cant just go out and replace things on this heli with off the shelf parts and they are correct. It is a completely different design in that way.

One of the reasons I sprung for it depsite that fact was because it was being made by TT who has the reputation of being a very good company. Its not a a heli for everybody out there and thats ok. Some like the gadget stuff and others will prefer the good old fasioned way. So far im really impressed with the build quality and how easy it is to get to and remove parts if needed. They have really thought it through pretty well. It flys fantastic once you finally get it setup correctly.
We will see how well they do over many flights and use and it looks like we have some good support from ACE and John locally in the U.S. as liason for us between them and for parts support.
The 530 and my Quark are now my favorite helis. I actually sold many of my other micros because I just lost interest in them after flying the Quark and now the TT. My 450 CopteRex's are not getting much love lately either even though they are awesome.

Happy flying
Last edited by Xrayted; Mar 10, 2009 at 09:21 PM.