HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:33 AM
New Jersey
Joined May 2008
195 Posts
Thanks x rayted, good points. I wonder how many people just gave up because of similar errors, that can't be pinned down. Sure, you can send the whole kit back to Ace for a look, but after spending good money, and probably getting an earful from the wife, I would think a few have reboxed everything, and retired it to the garage or basement.
I sort of went through that with a b-400, but at least the maunual sort of helped you through things. I think this is the main problem with this unit. They need a definitive manual on the product and software. The online manual is something, but for some reason, there is a problem in the download ( 10 minutes later " downloading..."
especially with something so technically different.
I wonder if the TX showed up in "error messages"... but that is for the heli I think.
It is sold as a possible "beginner " unit, that can be programmed to be more aggressive as we gain skills. Heaven help the beginner.
A lot of this info could be online, but as soon as one opens the box, they should have a sign in big red letters... " before flying, read the information in entirety on our website, www etc" but analyze OUR posts here, and address them in a FAQ page.
Such as " the 0 setting is mild and for beginners, however, there is NO negative pitch, and if flying in a slight wind, the heli may be hard to control while landing, it is difficult to control the throttle gimbal and throttle trim at the same time, and must be practised before flight "
However, with mine, even in reducing both throttle controls, my rotors kept spinning due to a burr under the throttle stick. I didn't have a chance.
They NEED to pre flight these helis, and check them out. After spending almost $1000 for batteries and options and the unit we should not be the testing department.
Clackson is offline Find More Posts by Clackson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:50 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Yeah I guess Im just used to sorting things out for myself so Im more tolerant than others may be. Many would have fought with ACE for a new TX, and I could have shipped mine back but I didnt want to wait weeks to get another one. In the long run it worked for me because I would have needed to send the second one back as well. This way I had a second for spare parts and I would have spent almost as much money in shipping the both of them.

Now that I have my balance lead built up, I can see how much Im putting back into the packs charging on my Bantam charger. I was suprised to see that landing at the factory tail wag setting of 10.6V under load is putting back 1675 mah. This is over the 80% lipo rule of 1440 mah for an 1800 mah batt, so Im depleteing the packs further than I should for longest life. Im going to raise the alarm setting to 11v or set the capacity alarm for 1400mah today and run some other test to get it under 80% capacity used. These batts are too expensive to kill them faster than they need to be.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Aug 16, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:15 AM
Coconut Creek, FL
Joined Aug 2007
28 Posts
Today I had trouble getting the MD-530 to arm prior to a flight. The red light just wouldn't change to green. I made sure the throttle and throttle trim were all the way down, and i turned the TX off and back on several times, and removed and replaced the battery a few times. I finally got it to arm. What else might I check for in this case?
Oglomott is offline Find More Posts by Oglomott
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:40 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oglomott
Today I had trouble getting the MD-530 to arm prior to a flight. The red light just wouldn't change to green. I made sure the throttle and throttle trim were all the way down, and i turned the TX off and back on several times, and removed and replaced the battery a few times. I finally got it to arm. What else might I check for in this case?
What was your battery voltage? Have you lowered the min arming voltage in the software or are you using the factory setting of 12.2V?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:57 AM
United States, TX, Lindale
Joined Apr 2003
910 Posts
I was wondering about the offsets in the software ... I've been having to use alot of rudder to keep it straight, wasnt sure on which -/+ to go, will have to try playing with those for ail/elev as well, pretty sure it needs some tweaking to get it trimmed out, altho (knocking on wood)... havent had it fall out of the sky any more, may have been just way too hot that day, did get another red battery so have 2 now.
crazhorse is offline Find More Posts by crazhorse
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazhorse
I was wondering about the offsets in the software ... I've been having to use alot of rudder to keep it straight, wasnt sure on which -/+ to go, will have to try playing with those for ail/elev as well, pretty sure it needs some tweaking to get it trimmed out, altho (knocking on wood)... havent had it fall out of the sky any more, may have been just way too hot that day, did get another red battery so have 2 now.
It will definitely trim it out for you. Its pretty much the same thing as subtrim in a computer TX.

Im finishing up some battery testing today to get my alarm setting the way I want it for best battery care now that I have it all trimmed and balanced back out after the FG fuse install.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 02:14 PM
Honey,just one more thing
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
It will definitely trim it out for you. Its pretty much the same thing as subtrim in a computer TX.

Im finishing up some battery testing today to get my alarm setting the way I want it for best battery care now that I have it all trimmed and balanced back out after the FG fuse install.
Lets us know, I suppose you where gong to anyhow, but would be nice to know for us using the standard charger. If you can let us know what batt size you used. I appreciate you taking the time to write up on what you have found on everything about setup for this heli. Would be nice to have it all in one area. Bud
spudandretti is offline Find More Posts by spudandretti
Old Aug 16, 2009, 02:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Battery Testing Bantam vs. TT charger and LVC settings

I finished up my testing on the factory TT charger vs. using my charge adapter and Bantam charger with a proper 1C charge rate.

As I stated in previous post, I discovered that using the factory LVC alarm setting of 10.6V drains too much Mah from the packs. I was having to put 1675 Mah back into the packs after a 7 min flight running at 2000 RPM. This is well over the 80% 1440 maximum consumption this lipo should be drained. This could be contributing to the issues some are now having of packs failing after 40 flights or so and definitely is why this heli has no tolerance for flying past the tail wag and will come crashing down if you do.

I tested the heli using the factory 1300 Mah consumption setting for my yaw alarm and my flights dropped to 5 minutes and I only put 1200 mah back into the pack. In the end I ended up setting the LVC to 1500 mah and this puts exactly 1400 mah back in with a 6 minute flight time which is perfect and now I have some padding just in case I miss the tail wag. My original flight times were 7 mins using the factory LVC cutoff. In stock form I had about 8 min flights before adding the weight of the FG fuse and ally parts.

If you wish to use the voltage for LVC you can raise the factory value to 10.7 to 10.8 to get the same effect.

I also tested the stock charger against my Bantam for charge time. The Bantam using a proper 1C charge rate (1.8amps) took 50 minutes to charge the pack fully and the stock charger took 80 minutes for a batt with the exact same depletion and starting voltage, so the factory charger is clearly charging at a much lower than needed rate. Im estimating a rate of 1 amp. This is better for the battery in the long run but it doesnt matter if the packs are being overflown as this is much more damaging

These test were performed using my MD530 in a FG fuselage running Align 325mm FG blades at 2000 RPM. Both test batts were the red 1800 packs.

My AU flying weight with battery is 924 grams

Your results may vary depending on setup
Last edited by Xrayted; Aug 16, 2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:14 PM
Coconut Creek, FL
Joined Aug 2007
28 Posts
Quote:
What was your battery voltage? Have you lowered the min arming voltage in the software or are you using the factory setting of 12.2V?
I am using whatever the default is. What you recommend for the setting?

Ken
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
I am using whatever the default is. What you recommend for the setting?

Ken
The packs only read about 12.4-12.5 on a voltmeter after a fresh charge although they do charge to 12.6 on the charger. Im not sure if the slight voltage drop is due to the extra circuitry these pack have in them dropping it slightly with some resistance.

Anyway, the factory setting is 12.2 so you must put the pack into the heli fresh off the charger or you can sometimes have issues because its so close to the limit. I dropped mine to 11.2 for the arming minimum and havent had any issues since.

This is only changing the minimum voltage for the heli to arm and not your LVC. It really doesnt matter what you set it to as long as you dont set it below what you have your LVC set to which could possibly allow the heli to arm and fly below LVC and hurt the pack.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:44 PM
Coconut Creek, FL
Joined Aug 2007
28 Posts
Quote:
The packs only read about 12.4-12.5 on a voltmeter after a fresh charge although they do charge to 12.6 on the charger. Im not sure if the slight voltage drop is due to the extra circuitry these pack have in them dropping it slightly with some resistance.

Anyway, the factory setting is 12.2 so you must put the pack into the heli fresh off the charger or you can sometimes have issues because its so close to the limit. I dropped mine to 11.2 for the arming minimum and havent had any issues since.

This is only changing the minimum voltage for the heli to arm and not your LVC. It really doesnt matter what you set it to as long as you dont set it below what you have your LVC set to which could possibly allow the heli to arm and fly below LVC and hurt the pack.
I'll try the 11.2v to see how that works.

I usually remove the packs from the charger right after they finish charging; is it desirable to leave them in the charger up until you are ready to use them, even if it's a few days?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
I'll try the 11.2v to see how that works.

I usually remove the packs from the charger right after they finish charging; is it desirable to leave them in the charger up until you are ready to use them, even if it's a few days?
No dont do that. Also dont store your packs charged for long periods. Lipo chemisty degrades over time even with no use and storing them full increases this proccess. They are best stored at 3.5V-3.8V per cell so this is close to what the pack will be after you fly.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:41 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,271 Posts
charger FAILS

BARRRICK here, previously "SANDRA" :

I seem to be condemned to FAILURE in the pursuit of this INNOVATOR; one thing follows the other.
Having supplied myself with all necessary items, in addition to the basics, to the tune of $ 204.51 frin RC Hobby Helicopter : NOW THE AIRBORNE BATTERY CHARGER SEEMS TO HAVE DIED A NATURAL DEATH. Plugging the terminals into a 12V garden variety battery :[ shows 14.37V ], the green light does NOT COME ON ANYMORE. I have a regular and a RED airborne battery, none lights up.
WHAT IS MY RECOURSE, in this case ? this charger is totally DEAD ~!~
p.s.
note of interest: this charger was only used TWICE in its entire life. No More.
BARRRICK is online now Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:43 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRRICK
BARRRICK here, previously "SANDRA" :

I seem to be condemned to FAILURE in the pursuit of this INNOVATOR; one thing follows the other.
Having supplied myself with all necessary items, in addition to the basics, to the tune of $ 204.51 frin RC Hobby Helicopter : NOW THE AIRBORNE BATTERY CHARGER SEEMS TO HAVE DIED A NATURAL DEATH. Plugging the terminals into a 12V garden variety battery :[ shows 14.37V ], the green light does NOT COME ON ANYMORE. I have a regular and a RED airborne battery, none lights up.
WHAT IS MY RECOURSE, in this case ? this charger is totally DEAD ~!~
p.s.
note of interest: this charger was only used TWICE in its entire life. No More.
The charger uses a 12V input power supply. Have you killed it by using too much voltage? Im not sure what 12V lead acid batteries should actually charge up to???? Try another power source
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:23 PM
Honey,just one more thing
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
The charger uses a 12V input power supply. Have you killed it by using too much voltage? Im not sure what 12V lead acid batteries should actually charge up to???? Try another power source
I was told by ACE, that the input voltage on these chargers are kind of pickey, should stay close to 12 volts, but they do have clips on them?
spudandretti is offline Find More Posts by spudandretti