HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2003, 12:34 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Kavan He-162 Salamander Videos Posted

Hey guys

Hobby Lobby just put the Kavan Salamander up for sale on their site and has included video clips of the model flying with and without landing gear.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/salamander.htm

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2003, 12:37 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Here is an inflight shot of a flyby without gear.

Mike Hines
Old Mar 20, 2003, 03:37 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Very cool. Just shows that with a bit of wing area you don't need to get down to 16oz to fly nicely. It doesn't say, but is that flying with a sp300 motor? It would be nice to know how many cells, motor etc - does anybody know?

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Mar 20, 2003, 04:23 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
8-cell 600mAh (click on the link above for more info)

----------------------

That's so cool! I wonder if my new Mini AC 16 would fit in that fan. I bet the MPJ 25/25 would work too. However, just as it is with my Alfa P-47, I doubt a brushless is really needed, since the plane in the video appears to fly just fine with the stock motor.

Hummm...I bet I have a few things I could sell. (...to keep the wife from getting too upset)
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Mar 20, 2003, 04:54 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Stumax

The video of the model without gear is the very first flight of the model. You can see the dip at the launch from not being quite trimmed. Other launches after that one showed no sag from a hand toss.

The model in the video is totally stock. Speed 300 WeMoTec Micro Fan, 8-600AE cells, 10 amp Jeti ESC, all up weight with gear 20 oz.

Mike Hines
Old Mar 20, 2003, 05:45 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Thanks, Mike, any idea what the wing area is?

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Mar 20, 2003, 08:10 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
I notice the "with gear" shot shows a long takeoff from a paved surface - not being a jet expert, is this a realtively acceptable level of performance?
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Mar 20, 2003, 09:07 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Stu

The wing area is about 225 sq. in. If you click on the link at the top of this thread, it will take you to the HL page with all of the info on this model.

Robert

I am not aware of any parkflyer type Ducted Fan model that is able to ROG at all, so the fact that this model does this as easily as it does will be a plus for some modelers. There are actually few DF models that can be easily handlaunched, so a model that can do both seems pretty cool to me. It just gives the modeler some choices.

Mike Hines
Old Mar 20, 2003, 09:37 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
Wow...gotta have one! Been waiting for this...Anybody experimenting with a BL set-up pls. keep us posted. Although it flew well (video) on a sp300 ferrite, I may still want to use a BL motor so I don't have to replace the motor after several flights.

Ron
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
Old Mar 20, 2003, 11:26 PM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,338 Posts
Hi Guys,

very nice video !! But if this is a speed 300 6V and you use 8 cells than I think the engine works not longer than 10 flights ! (my exp.) You can use this engine longer if you take 7 cells !

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Mar 21, 2003, 01:58 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hiflyer
... I am not aware of any parkflyer type Ducted Fan model that is able to ROG at all, so ... Mike Hines
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=94246

Rudi I am surprised that you even got ten flights out of the speed 300 on eight cells in the microfan ... . My experience is that it'll last for one or two demo flights at best ...
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Mar 21, 2003, 08:30 AM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
What BL motors will fit the Wemotec micro fan ?

I am not familiar with the dimensions for this one.
FAA is offline Find More Posts by FAA
Old Mar 21, 2003, 08:47 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Herb

You are right, I had forgotten about the GWS A-10. It is also in the parkflyer catagory and has wheels and is able to ROG.

The motor, fan, battery setup is per the manufacturer (Kavan) and so far after 6 flights we haven't experienced any fall off in performance. The Speed 300 that comes with the fan unit is slightly different in that it has a smooth shaft instead of a knurled one. I am not aware of any other differences internally from a standard 6V Speed 300, but I will try to find out.

Brushless is an option as well. A mini AC or possibly an MP Jet motor could be adapted to the Micro fan.

Mike Hines
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:19 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,338 Posts
@Herb: Servus Herb. Mayby I have fired a good Speed 300 6V in one of my Microfans but the great adv. is that they are cheap. Pulling more than 13 A on 8 cells (red Sanyo 500 AR)

@Hiflyer: For me it is hard to believe that the Salamander in the Video (with gear) is using a speed 300 6V Setup after reading the german RC Network thread about it, but nevertheless I must believe it !
Is it possiple that the use a Spee300 7,2 V ?

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Mar 25, 2003, 04:34 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudi
[B
@Hiflyer: For me it is hard to believe that the Salamander in the Video (with gear) is using a speed 300 6V Setup after reading the german RC Network thread about it, but nevertheless I must believe it !
Is it possiple that the use a Spee300 7,2 V ?

Rudi [/B]
I assure you that the model in the video is totally stock. You ask if the Speed 300 is possibly a 7.2v one. I don't really know, it is the Speed 300 that is packaged by Kavan along with the WeMoTec Micro Fan and some wiring leads specifically for the Salamander. In the included instructions they call for the use of 8 cells, which is what we used. I do know that it is not a Graupner Speed 300, as this one is a smooth shaft motor, the Graupner is a splined shaft one.

I will put ours on the Watt Meter and let you know what the results are.

Mike Hines