Old Mar 04, 2009, 11:18 PM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Discussion
March Photo Comp - Warbirds and Military Aircraft

~~~ March 2009 Topic - Warbirds and Military Aircraft. ~~~

The votes decided the topic for this month, and while it looked like crash and carnage was going to take it out, the Warbirds won out in the end.

I expanded out the category a little, to include military aircraft as well, as it lets more entries be submitted.

So... whether you've got a sweet spitfire kicking around... maybe a PC9 trainer in roulette livery... perhaps you have a WW2 german bomber glider tucked away in the shed... or maybe an apache attack chopper ready for a strafing run... get it out this month, and take some awesome shots.

There is no 'airborne' component this month, so you can take in-flight shots, ground shots or whatever you can come up with.

There has also been some discussin and confusion about the entries, so i have pasted the rules below for everyone's reading pleasure.

Please try to adhere to the rules, but like i have said before, im not going to throw a tantrum if you post something you took last month.

Next month will be a 'no topic/taken anytime' month. So you can post entries on any topic, taken anytime etc. I am proposing that we have 3 of these during the 12 months. That will give everyone plenty of opportunity to get those 'odd' photos in.

Hope everyone is enjoying seeing the great photos being entered, i know i am.

Please send me, or post any suggestions that you have... i may not incorporate them all, but i want to make this photo comp fun and appealing for every one.

------------------

The Rules

1. Entry is open to all Australian RC Groups members.

2. This is a monthly competition, so entries open on the first day of the month and close on the last day of the month.

3. Photo entries must be taken specifically for the competition, and not be from your archives.

4. You can submit a maximum of 3 photos each month into the competition. The 3 photos that are shown on the last day of the month will be considered entries.

5. Your photo entries must have the word "ENTRY" in the title of the image. This is how we will determine a genuine entry from a pic posted in the same thread. See 'Entry Instructions' below for full details.

6. Judging of the photos will be by a voting poll in the appropriate thread. The winner will be determined by the most amount of votes.

7. The photo should be mostly a photo, not a photoshop creation. You can use photoshop to enhance your photos though.

8. The photo should be related to RC Modelling somehow. (planes, boats, cars etc) and should somehow demonstrate the subject for that month.

9. The winner must be willing to have his/her photo published at the end of the year in a calendar which will be available to all monthly winners for no cost, and available to everyone else at a minimal cost.

10. I reserve the right to remove or disqualify any photos submitted if i think you are rigging the vote system. Please don't solicit votes for your photograph by your friends. I've seen it done before. This is a friendly fun competition, not some kind of camera pissing contest.

11. The photo with the most votes wins. No arguments, no correspondence etc. If you think you should have won, enter the next month and have another go.

12. I reserve the right to amend the rules as necessary to make sure that the photo comp runs smoothly, is fair, and is easy to manage.

--------------

Entry Instructions

To enter a photograph (maximum of 3 per month) simply post it in this thread, and add "ENTRY" to the beginning of the image title.

It would also be nice for you to add some brief info about where the photo was taken, and who's plane/heli etc.

Finally, please add your camera make/model into the post, so we all know what your snapping with.

You only need to upload a low resolution image for the competition. If you win, then i will request the full high-resolution image from you by email.
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2009, 11:19 PM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Reserved Post spot for end of month voting.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 06:03 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,374 Posts
Bueller?... BUELLER?!
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Mar 13, 2009, 04:08 AM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Just a reminder guys that the photos that you enter 'should' be taken specifically for the month's topic. Looking forward to some new pics posted this coming weekend.

Please keep this thread for entries only. You can post other photos in the general Photo Comp Thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=978644
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:24 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,077 Posts
Entry

Ok, had some sun (mostly) at the field today.

First up is Paul Collins 80 something inch 45cc P-47 taxiing for takeoff (I hope I got the p-47 part right! and second is Brian and his scratch built Fokker with lots of wings ok, i don't know my fighter planes well enough!

Brian didn't muff the landing, in fact it wasn't landing at all, this is how he flies.....everything !!
He sat it on one wheel (downwind run) for about 30 metres in a touch and go. He doesn't build hanger queens!

Paul had a mishap with a landing gear that refused to play landing gear and it copped a bit of damage to the wing on landing. If you look very closely (the original shot shows it nicely) at the right strut, there is a tiny black thing inboard next to it hanging down.....that's supposed to be connected to the strut.......It has come off or broke taxiing as it was A-ok preflight.

Third shot is the same as the big spitfire I posted in the other thread, same owner, same scheme, but much smaller, and much faster!. I really like this shot as it took over 20 attempts to get one that you could actually see it was a plane!. It's the only shot out of the whole flight that is at least half focused!

All the exif data is being stripped when converting from raw to tiff to Jpg for some reason, but the fokker was 1/200th sec at F7.1 in overcast weather and the last one was done at 1/100th of a second at F11 for those who care

Shots taken with Canon 50D and 17-85 lens.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Last edited by gouch; Mar 14, 2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: picked a third shot
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,374 Posts
WOW! They're awesome. Game on this month!
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Mar 14, 2009, 05:29 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,081 Posts
Love the spitty. That's an awesome shot. And it's bloody hard to do, so well done!
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Mar 14, 2009, 06:20 PM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Looks like you've worked out that new camera Paul

The fokker single wheel touch and go is pretty cool!
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:46 PM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,077 Posts
Thanks guys.

Aero: that's why I'm really happy with the pan shot at 1/100th, and I look in awe when I see pros taking shots of F1 cars etc at 1/200th or lower and they are pixel perfect.

Yeah, bringing the aperture down from wide open has helped in the sharpness department, but most of the flying shots I have posted have had some serious cropping as my little lens is a bit small to fill the viewfinder nicely with small planes, even big ones. The fokker is about waist height to me, so it aint small. Good thing I have 15MP to play with, it's saving my butt at the moment. I have a better one of the touch and go, but it's too blurry to keep. I prob shouldn't have had that big can of redbull on the way out there though, that stuff gives me the shakes!! Can't be good for my ticker.....but it's great for hangovers

Oh, and the guys at the rebel club have a ton of awesome planes which make finding subjects much easier. I'll have to sneak out to Maitland again soon with my new cam. Plenty turbines out there.

My savings are going toward a canon 70-200 F4L IS lens at the moment. F2.8 version would be nice but at near on $3K they can keep it
I should have that before the big RC scale meeting down at dick Smiths place near Golbourn. I found out about it yesterday. Early April, 5th and 6th I think, nothing under 80". I think Stuntman s going to post a thread on it soon.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 08:46 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch
Thanks guys.
My savings are going toward a canon 70-200 F4L IS lens at the moment. F2.8 version would be nice but at near on $3K they can keep it

There were so many of those at the airshow yesterday it was unbelievable. The F4 I mean. It was a really smart move by Canon making that lens. Smaller and lighter and cheaper. Having said that, the 70-200 2.8 is my all time favorite lens. Pity I'm selling it as I've just bought Nikon gear. The Nikon 70-200 just isn't the same.....
Here's a pic I took with my little Ricoh GX100 yesterday. I wish I'd taken the "real" gear, but I've been sick and couldn't be A$$ed carrying it around all day. Especially with the weather being so wet. Anyway, I got a couple of good shots.
Last edited by aerophilia; Mar 14, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:10 PM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,077 Posts
Quote:
It was a really smart move by Canon making that lens. Smaller and lighter and cheaper. Having said that, the 70-200 2.8 is my all time favorite lens. Pity I'm selling it as I've just bought Nikon gear
Good to see you guys getting some rain down your way finally, but I'm sure many have asked did it have to happen airshow weekend !? Those clouds sure look pretty heavy there. Good to see the pig still wasting fuel Looks great though, pity when they retire the old girls.

A mate does dirt bike racing photography (finke, aus safari, Paris dakar, ,etc) and has the 2.8, it's a big lump that's for sure compared to the F4, but soooooo nice.
Even with the high price aside, I couldn't do the 2.8 as my missus loves shooting as well, and it's just too big and cumbersome for general zooming duties. If I don't pick an F4 up soon, I might ask him to rent me the 2.8 for the scale meeting. I almost need a 70-300 IS USM for the missus, a 70-200 2.8 IS.....and a 400 2.8 for me..........oh that's right, I can't afford the empty box for the 400 That's about 15K in total for 3 lenses

Have you had much to do with the 100-400L IS F4-5.6 AKA the dust pump? I like the 400 length, but not sure on the pump action, and there's that weight thing again.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:28 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,081 Posts
I looked at that 100-400 a few years ago. First issue was the weight. It's big! Not sure how easy it is to handhold, I don't like monopods. The second issue was the changing aperture through the focal length. I really liked the concept of that lens, it just wasn't practical for my use though.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:04 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,077 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking the same things you already have worked out it seems.... I want canon to make a 70-400, f2 all the way, no optical issues throughout range, image stabilized, "L" quality, that weighs around oh, say 500 grams....... all for less than a grand....... Yeah, right

I have stared a new thread on general plane, heli photos etc to try and keep these ones clean, post RC photos, feedback for the comp, general photography chit chat etc, take a look. (although there's no photos in there at the moment) Oh, and start shooting with that new nikon!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:48 AM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Just bumping this one back to the top guys.

This will be the last weekend for a chance to take some warbird or military aircraft photos.

Don't forget that photos entered into the photo comp should be taken this month.

Cheers.
Brett