HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Waterbird, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 03, 2009, 06:50 PM
Annapolis, Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2005
175 Posts
Discussion
affliction undiminished

OK, ANOTHER update on my irrational hobby behavior: it's now been an amazing 8 years since my first "blog" here, in which I said "I'm now up to 4 RC airplanes." Today, in light of the way this addiction has taken hold, 4 RC models seems seriously deprived! I have nothing against gas & glow models -- actually love the sound -- but I do fly all electric -- some pretty good size birds (my largest is a 74" wingspan C-47).

It's very amazing to me how much the hobby has changed and improved since I started RC flying in about 2002. At that time, kits were more prevalent than ARFs, and electric-powered models were limited and lame, unless you had very expensive, heavy equipment. Today, of course, ARFs are giving way to RTFs -- and kits are becoming a small part of the market. Electric models are just as powerful as gas/glow -- at least in the sizes I prefer (mostly in the 45 to 60" span range.)

The changes are great for me -- I like building OK, but I don't kid myself: the quality of ARFs and RTFs is far better than I ever achieved in the few kits I built. AND, I found that I prefer flying -- and a bit of fixing -- models, rather than spending all my time at the bench.

I'm EXTREMELY lucky to have a "man cave" room in my home with a high, cathedral ceiling -- which allows me, literally, to hang my models. Otherwise, I could never fit so many into the place. Obviously, I'm also lucky to have a spouse who puts up with my craze.

My current fleet count (excluding a couple NIB stashed in the attic so Her Highness doesn't have to "be bothered with knowing about them") is 29 RC model airplanes here at my Annapolis home, and another 3 at our condo in Ft. Lauderdale. That's obviously imbalanced -- because we only spend about 20 days a year in Florida, and I don't have very much room there. It also tends to be quite windy in Lauderdale, close to the ocean -- so flying is usually a hit or miss situation, usually restricted to pretty early mornings when the wind is (sometimes) a bit softer.

I'm an AMA member, as well as a member of the Chesapeake Bay Radio Control Club (gas & electric) in Maryland, and the Vista View Flying Club (electric only) in Lauderdale.

Favorite planes to fly STILL include my 5 year old Precision Aerobatics Ultimate AMR biplane, and my Precision Aero Addiction (been flying this one for 5 years, too.) Also really like my 53" span Eagle 580 (Embry Riddle graphics) and my 48" Edge 540 (3D Hobby Shop).

Favorite warbirds right now include my (just completed and yet-to-maiden) 50" span Airco DH.2, from Maxford USA -- my only pusher . I have a couple other cool bipes, converted from .40 "slime-ers" -- including a Fokker DVII and a Stearman (Navy colors, so technically, I think it would be an N2S.)

In the foamy realm, I have a very nice B-25 Mitchell (about 52" span), which flies very nicely. Also have a couple of the 1400mm span, foam FMS type models: a P-51D and a P-40. Have flown both of the latter foamies only a couple times each, 'cause I'm a bit scared of them. I plan to try some new, "gyro-stabilized" receivers in these big foamy birds this Spring, and -- if that tames them down -- I'd like to fly them more.

Other warbirds -- balsa/covering ARFs -- include a 54" Fieseler Storch (a good flyer), a 48" Spitfire and a 47" Bf 109. I installed electric retracts in the latter two birds -- both of which fly OK, but not great.

Been through about 5 edf jets -- but have only had one that I could fly well: a foamy Art Tech F-18. I still fly this model occasionally -- it's actually my 2nd one of these (other flew well till I smashed the nose in landing once too often.) Of the other 4 edf models, one flew half way decent, and the others were terrible. I either gave them away or totalled them quickly.

In the RC sailboat realm, I built a Thunder Tiger Victoria, but sold it to get a a CR 914, -- because there's a fleet near my Annapolis home. In Lauderdale, I have a Soling 1m -- also because there's an active local fleet. However, I still love RC flying much, much more ... and the affliction is not going away!
Waterbird is offline Find More Posts by Waterbird
Last edited by Waterbird; Jan 26, 2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: update on my air fleet
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2009, 05:05 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Hey welcome to Vista View! Let me know when you come down, I'll give you something to fly while you're here. By the way, the name is Andy.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook