SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2009, 02:36 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Question
What software for EasyCap?

I finally got my hands on an EasyCap device and have it installed and working. Does anyone know of any software out therej (preferably free) that can be used with this device and just display the video, without the capture gui? So far I've tried Ulead VideoStudio that comes with the device and that seems to work the best (almost no lag at all) but the rest of the application takes up 3/4 of the screen. I also tried Microsoft MovieMaker, which works but the lag is awful. The last program I tried was VLC but the lag was even worse. Any other options I should try?
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2009, 02:43 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2007
308 Posts
I've used Virtual VCR in the past, but to be honest, we're getting rid of our EasyCaps and getting a decent name-brand device instead.
ShadesOfGray is offline Find More Posts by ShadesOfGray
Old Mar 03, 2009, 03:08 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
I just found the answer to my own question: AMCap.exe I don't recall where I found it, but it's a simple, no-nonsense video display and there is almost no lag whatsoever. I couldn't be happier.

The EasyCap cost me about $20 including shipping and I've got to say that for the price it fills the bill. I used a Sony Digital 8 Handycam as the video feed using the composite connection and the video quality wasn't bad. The colors were a bit washed out, but for $20 I'm happy.
Old Mar 03, 2009, 05:43 PM
FPV Freak :)
Radzionkow, Poland
Joined Sep 2008
594 Posts
Didnt u get Ulead VideoStudio SE with your EasyCap? This one is perfect. I just downloaded amcap but i see deinterlane on it.
diem is offline Find More Posts by diem
Old Mar 03, 2009, 07:03 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Yes, it came with VideoStudio, but the user interface and buttons take up 3/4's of the screen. I want the video to fill my whole screen, so AMCap is perfect for that. No, I'm not seeing any additional interlacing but that's not as important to me as there not be any lag in the display.
Old Mar 03, 2009, 08:05 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigkahuna
I just found the answer to my own question: AMCap.exe I don't recall where I found it, but it's a simple, no-nonsense video display and there is almost no lag whatsoever. I couldn't be happier.

The EasyCap cost me about $20 including shipping and I've got to say that for the price it fills the bill. I used a Sony Digital 8 Handycam as the video feed using the composite connection and the video quality wasn't bad. The colors were a bit washed out, but for $20 I'm happy.
AMCAP was a great suggestion. It loads up super fast and is very light!

http://www.camera-drivers.com/drivers/85/85104.htm
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 03, 2009, 09:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
16 Posts
Here are some more options that might work.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilit...-capture.shtml

I tried CaptureFlux and it worked well with my capture device (Plextor Convertx). Seems pretty quick and snappy. AMCap.exe for some reason didn't work for me.
JakAck is offline Find More Posts by JakAck
Old Mar 03, 2009, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Did you select Options, Video Input, Video Composite on AMCAP?
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 03, 2009, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2009
16 Posts
Edit: Thanks for getting me to try it again. I had to go to options>preview to view live. I guess I was just assuming it would pop up on the screen when I opened it.

I've also been looking for a more minimalist program for a while since the software that came with it seemed to lock up my system.

Here is another good program I tried out that is free, however a little more bulky than AmCap. NCH Debut
http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html
JakAck is offline Find More Posts by JakAck
Last edited by JakAck; Mar 03, 2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 03:24 AM
Joined Jul 2008
6 Posts
Just wanted to mention VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/). It works great to capture and it is also able to display the video in fullscreen while recording. I am using it with a MSI MiniVox USB to record my flights, but watch the video on a CRT-TV while flying. For Recording I use a DV-Codec and deinterlace the Video later.

cheers

- Daniel
Masher is offline Find More Posts by Masher