HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2009, 11:06 PM
Joined Jan 2009
22 Posts
Discussion
Electric motor runs very hot

Hi all, I have a reedy stockstar 27t and a 2wd stadium truck. Yesterday, I drove it in the street after I put it in, with an 8.4 volt battery for a few minutes, and when I touched it, it was extremely hot. Too hot to hold for more than a couple of seconds. My gearing is a little off according to the directions, 12.56 to 1 instead of 13 to 1, but the only time my old mabuchi would get even close to this was at the end of the 8.4 pack. Also, I did touch the motor to another motor for a few seconds by accident, so would this have caused something? Please help.
oh noes! is offline Find More Posts by oh noes!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2009, 06:05 PM
Til next time..KEEP ON FLYING!
Clemmons, NC
Joined Jan 2009
75 Posts
How's your gear mesh? When the pinion and spur are meshed correctly, you should be able to rock the spur gear and feel just a little play between the teeth. If the mesh is too tight, it will cause the motor to work harder, which will create more heat.
Hope this helps.
drsmooth is offline Find More Posts by drsmooth
Old Mar 03, 2009, 09:06 PM
Murrieta CA
Joined Aug 2008
15 Posts
touching the motor to another motor should not have done any thing

it is your gearing what is your gearing ? to make it run cooler gear it down a few teeth
ageekwithabaja is offline Find More Posts by ageekwithabaja
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:51 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,843 Posts
Make sure you are using proper gearing for the type of riding you are doing.

Make sure the wheels spin freely or do not feel like they are binding on anything.

Make sure you're body cover is not completly cutting air circulation to you're motor.

If all else fails, then you can get this ( 5$ Ebay ) I just bought it cause it LOOKED COOL
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 04, 2009, 07:59 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
what truck are we discussing here?
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Mar 04, 2009, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2009
22 Posts
My truck is an xtm xcellerator, a combination of a t3 and t4, or a copy of a losi xxxt (I'm not sure which). I have an 18t pinion. I'll try setting the gear mesh again, maybe a little looser. Also, I forgot to mention the esc is pretty hot too, but not as much as the motor.
Old Mar 07, 2009, 12:15 AM
Joined Jan 2009
22 Posts
Fixed

Everything is better now. I finally set the gear mesh today after being sick, but I still might get something with less teeth.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 12:46 AM View Post
SkyhighRc
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while SkyhighRc edits it. Show it to me anyway.