Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by mckolit, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 12:34 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Things

Moving components to get the cg correct will be difficult with the bird. Both ends are bolted on, either the tail bits or the motor mount. I have already taken off the motor mount twice because I forgot a couple of things. Wing mounts, and the things I just put on today, the servo mounts. I put the components on from front to back, motor mount (bolted on the fuse so I have to screw and unscrew this to move things around), landing gear, front wing mount, battery holder, rear wing mount, servo mounts, then the tail bits (which are also bolted on) Now, should I need to switch the order around for cg purposes, I have to unscrew the motor mount.

More progress today. Just going real slow now because of lack of time. I bolted on the control horn for the rudder. Will do the elevator tomorrow. I am now contemplating using a bit of extra sling shot material to make the tail sheel steerable. Hmmm. Or the shrink wrap, still deciding. Or ofcourse, just letting the wheel pivot on its own.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2009, 07:42 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Tip

Here's a tip, don't mount the control on on the horizontal stabilizer . It would be more useful if it was mounted on the elevator. I actually was thinking to myself that the process was going very quickly and I was done just like that. Until I realized that the control horn needs to be on the moving surface. Lesson for next build.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 02:57 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Tail Heavy

Got the rods on for the ailerons and the elevator and rudder. Unfortunately, I'm running into the same problem that I had with my other slow stick. This guy's tail heavy. Maybe more so than the old stick because I extended the tail a bit. I pretty much have to shove all the components as far forward as they will go. Because of that, I have to get longer control rods to get the elevator and rudder servo further forward. Ofcourse, with the rearranging of the bits, I have to take off the motor mount and all that. I can move the wing back also to help with the cg, but I still need to get most of the bits to the front.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:18 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
New Lipos

I was planning on getting bigger lipos for the slow stick and finally pulled the trigger yesterday. Right now I have some 3s 1300 mAh lipos, I purchased two 3s 2200 mAh lipos. They're 75 grams heavier according to the specs, so that should help with the cg issues. Since this bird will eventually be an aerial video plane, maybe I'll install the camera mount and put some weights on there that's as heavy as the camera just to help with the cg.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:42 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
My neighbor, who's a full scale pilot, and also flies rc, saw my wing the other day and said I might want someone with me since it doesn't have dihedral and he knows I'm just starting out. He specifically mentioned that landing would be hard with a straight wing. I am now going to be really nervous when I try to land the bird, if I even get to that point.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 08:48 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
My new lipos came in today and they are heavy. Should help to offset the heavy tail to get proper cg.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 04:57 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Balanced

Balanced and ready to go. Put the cg in the middle of the spar. Now off to the field....when I get the time
Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:51 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Guides

I was trying to think of a way to make my own pushrod guides, but eh, they're readily available and cheap so I got a couple of the millenniumrc adjustable ones. I was testing out the control throws and the pushrods were just bending too easily. I have the servos way up front for cg purposes and there's a lot of bending metal. Now the dreaded process of having to take the whole thing apart to get the pushrod guides in place.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 03:26 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Additions

The servo pushrod guides came in the other day. Shipping from millenniumrc was fast. Came after 2 days. Installed that. I redid the tail wheel. I just couldn't get it to balance right and since it was allowed to rotate freely, it always wanted to point side ways in stead of forward. I thought that it would point the right direction once the plane started to move forward, but after I pushed the plane on the ground to see, nope, just stayed put and skidded along the ground. So I removed the tail wheel and just installed a tail skid. Just the same ole music wire, bent at the tip to round it off. Figured there won't be much of a take off run anyway.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 04:17 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Maiden

Maidened this afternoon. Too windy. Shouldn't have done it. Made myself anyway. Got to fly in a wide open field though, so the wind couldn't blow the stick into a tree. Flight was short though. Only two minutes. I can say that the bird is very responsive. Very twitchy. I'll have to dial down all the throws until I get used to flying it. Landed safely. Now to wait for the wind to die down.

Before I left the hangar, I tested the motor. At WOT it's pulling 23 Amps. I'm using a 9 x 3.8 slow flyer prop. I had the wing on the hood of my wife's car, the plane on my car, and when I opened up the throttle, I heard something hit the ground on the other side of my wife's car. I went over there wondering what it was, it was the wing! There was enough thrust there to blow a wing off the hood of another car. hehe.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:30 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Servo Extension

I decided to use a servo extension to use for the aileron servo. I did this so I wouldn't have to keep plugging the servo in and out of the receiver. I'll just use the servo extension and plug the servo into that. I had a hard time getting the servo off of the receiver after my flight yesterday. Hopefully this will make the process a little easier.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:15 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Prop Saver

I think I will soon have to turn the motor around so I could secure the prop with a nut instead of using the prop saver. The motor might have too much juice for a prop saver set up. When I was testing for Amp draw the other day, I had only used two bands to secure the prop. When I got close to full throttle, the prop just flew off. I need three bands just to keep it from flying off. It would not be good if this happened during a flight.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
It's been too windy to fly and the big field that I could fly at when it isn't windy is locked most of the time. So just to get some air time, I set up a stock slow stick and I will fly that in the small field where I lost my other stick. I won't fly the aileron version there at all until I am very proficient and know I won't crash it accidentally across the street, so I'll just fly the stock one in the small field. It'll be mostly stock except for the Suppo 2208-14 with 18A esc and the radicalrc motor mount with the thrust correction. Hopefully I won't fry the esc on the first flight this time around.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:14 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Finished the build on the second stick. I'm using standard size servos on this bad boy and those puppies have a ton of travel. The rudder with full travel goes all the way to 90 degrees either way. I'll have to dial that down a wee bit. I decided that the suppo motor's kv is too high. I bought a bp 8y with the heatsink mount. It's 850 kv vs the 1400 kv of the suppo and should let me use an 11 x 3.8 prop. Right now with the suppo motor I have to use a 8 x 3.8 prop or the amp draw is way up there at WOT.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:37 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Maidened the second slow stick with the new bp 8y motor with an 11 x 3.8 prop. Was up for less than five minutes. In my haste to get back up in the air, I forgot to secure the battery tray and it kept sliding around making the bird tail heavy, plus I forgot to use some velcro straps for added security for the battery. It's on there now with dual lock, and then I usually use another couple of velcro straps for extra security. Forgot to do that and the battery kept popping out during landings. Finally decided to pack it up after the third bad landing.