HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2003, 06:02 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Overload controller and ultimate bec?

Lets say you have a 40 amp controller and are using the UBEC.

Now for some reason (you run 80 amps through it) the controller shuts down, will the UBEC continue to function?

I am actually only running 60-70 amps according to Motocalc (hacker b407L 15x10 and 8x1700). Since it will only be on for 10-15 seconds it should be allright, but sure don't want to lose any more planes due to equipment failure.

txs
dave
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2003, 08:11 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Yes, the UBEC will continue. It has nothing to do with the controller and is actually a bypass circuit that is a direct feed, stepped down to Rx voltage, directly from the battery pack to the Rx.

Dave
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:24 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
"Now for some reason (you run 80 amps through it) the controller shuts down, will the UBEC continue to function? "

It depends on why the controller shut down. Thermal protection or a short ?

I have used an "old rule of thumb" that anything over 40 amps (was 20, then 30, now 40 amps) should use a rec battery, not BEC. Even a UBEC may be applicable.

My concern, is that as the amps increase, failures are more likely for the batt pack, esc, or motor. A dead batt pack will still cause the UBEC to quit.

I have had a brake FET short in a brushed ESC that dumped the battery really fast, but this happened on the bench and not in the air. So as I watched the batt smoke I realized there was a problem.

If you use a BEC or UBEC and the motor seems low on power, shut the throttle off and land.

It is a tough call,
Dave
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway