HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Dora Nine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:46 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Discussion
Adventures in tuggy boating. New York harbor style.

Yesterday afternoon, I had some fun driving my tugboat and tooting the whistle(we don't actually have a whistle on this boat, just a horn ). I had to bring "my" barge from Yonkers Anchorage in the Hudson river to along side a ship in lower Bayridge Anchorage. The reason for this was to lighter the ship so that it could proceed to somewhere else in the harbor as its draft was probably more than what is allowed for it's final destination. The weather wasn't the greatest...cloudy skies, and kinda gloomy. Thankfully it wasn't windy yet. NYC and southern New England was expecting a major snow storm that evening and morning. The snow is falling pretty good as I write this too. Anyway, here are the pics. Enjoy! Questions and comments always welcome.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Last edited by Dora Nine; Mar 02, 2009 at 01:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2009, 11:01 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
looks fun, ever try flying on it?
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Mar 04, 2009, 04:24 AM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
looks fun, ever try flying on it?
On it not so much. While away...sure read through the rest of my blog for pics. For a while I was bringing my Blade CX and flying it in the wheel house. I should get back into it. Especially now that they have the MCX.
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:54 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
Nice shots John, are these with the new camera?
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:21 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Yep they sure were. Does pretty nice job too. All pics were taken with a Nikon D60 and 35-55mm lens.
Old Mar 04, 2009, 06:10 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
Were you nervous subjecting the cam to the rough and tumble world of toot toot tuggie?
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old Mar 04, 2009, 10:08 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
No not really, it was kept in a pretty safe place when not in use. That extra 125 bucks I spent on the replacement warranty also eased my mind.
Old Mar 05, 2009, 06:16 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
John whats the name of your tug? I run the crew boats Nancy, and C-Girls as well as was on the Alycia Mary all last summer guarding the cable running to Northport. I am sure we crossed paths at least once or twice. Are you working for Rheinour or K-Sea?
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Mar 05, 2009, 09:50 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,220 Posts
"..Somebody's GPS is little off...as I'm not on top of the ship. ;-)..."

That will drive some folks nuts, won't it? Some of the new user's of GPS (the ones in cars and many that are brand new to boating anyway) think you can just turn off your brain and just watch the GPS.

If that ship is Panamax wide or so, I'd estimate the "error" seen there at about 60-70 feet. If the Vera K is in close to pick up a line the error there is about the same.

Looks like your flux gate compass has the heading about perfect though.

I love watching the delicate ballet of many, many tons of carefully controlled steel. Hours of boredom and routine, moments of terror, another day at sea...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 05, 2009, 09:11 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Capt Mike, I work for HOS. I use to run the lines out at Northport myself on the Stapleton. I'd rather not advertise what boat I work on now all over the internet. There is other pics in my blog though.

Jack: I hear ya on the GPS. I like using Noble tec because it shows your vector line when coming along side a dock or a ship. Makes it a snap to check your motion when manuvering or at anchor. Same with the radar, you can see it in the pic I posted above. There's the heading line then the other line is your relative motion line. Which in that case were nearly the same since I pointed up in the current. It also shows in the heading vs COG display on the right.

Funny thing though, I love it when people refer to it as a "GPS system." As for the ship...I think it says PMAXX for a reason. You work offshore?
Last edited by Dora Nine; Mar 06, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 09:28 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,790 Posts
VERY cool blog entry John! Thanks for taking us along for a ride man! And great photos too BTW, I forget what gear you are shooting nowadays?
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2009, 10:29 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,220 Posts
"..I think it says PMAXX for a reason. You work offshore?..."

PMAXX. Well, duh! I hadn't noticed that.

I'm a retired Navy guy. And retired from everything now, but I do some season pickups and deliveries in New England waters. I do it as much for my own recreation as much as for the money. I really love it out there in a nice boat and on someone else's fuel.

I recently got a 50 Ton Near Coastal Masters ticket and that keeps me legit with the Coasties and make the insurers happier. I can DR navigate when the GPS and all the other gear is broken but I also like using everything I happen to have around. The boat's gear, a hand held with a route, and my eyes and ears too of course. When I'm moving an expensive boat that belongs to someone else I like to pay attention to what I'm doing.

Most of my runs are to or from Mount Desert Island/Bar Harbor and points in between down to Newport, RI or so. Usually on 35' to 50' or so power yachts. I occasionally get 60 NM or so off shore on runs to The Cape. On a nice day it is hard to believe that I'm actually getting paid to do it.

I see guys like you on the water all the time, Portland, Boston, and when I get down around Buzzard's Bay and Newport. And you've seen me, I am one of the little guys but one that stays well out of the way! :>)

I helped move a boat down the Hudson to RI last year and we did the Harlem River from Spuyten Duyvil Creek to Hell's Gate. That was a trip! I thought Wood's Hole, MA deserved some respect but now the slot there at the railroad bridge is at the top of my list. :>) I'm told that Spuyten Duyvil translates to "Spinning Devil" or "Devil's Whirlpool" and they pretty much got that right. We hit that and Hell's Gate on a pretty good ebb and there was a lot of water moving there. Whee!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 09, 2009, 10:17 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Jon: I recently made an upgrade to a DSLR--so I got a Nikon D60 all the pics posted here were taken with the 35-55mm lens that came orginally with the camera.

Jack: I doubt I've seen you, because I'm always worried about the folks (read as idiots) who ARE in the way. They forget my 450' tug and barge carrying millions of gallons of oil, doesn't exactly stop on a dime. Last summer I had a guy who couldn't be more in my way. He explained to me that, "he was there first." And I've had to explain to them that when I run them over, (provided he doesn't move) I won't even spill my coffee. They get the idea after that.

Congrats on getting a lic. I wish more folks would. The water is far most hostile than the roads, but anyone can buy a boat and go for a ride. These days, I'm sailing with an unlimted 3rd mate, Master of towing vessels of any gross tons upon oceans.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:57 AM
GBX
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
338 Posts
John Months ago when I first read this blog I said to my wife I need a Kewl job like Working on a Tug !!!! Month's later I still feel the SAME

Thanks for Taking your Camera to work !!!
GBX is offline Find More Posts by GBX
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:57 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
No sweat. Here to help.