SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2003, 03:57 PM
Wayne's World - Illinois
Joined May 2002
847 Posts
Oh, duh, I forgot to mention that I made inner bulkheads for mine, holed them for lightness and to pass wires and pack thru, and was able to lay the cowling over that...one could use thin side strips of velcro to attach for later access...or leave the bottom open for that and glue the top.
Scratchbuilder is offline Find More Posts by Scratchbuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:17 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
NOTHING was going to STOP Gerry and Carlos from flying today! DEAD CALM at 5:30PM at the TIBER CREEK HIGH SCHOOL in AVALON PARK near the Power Plant.

We maiden the CINCO DE MAYO in light rain and it flew Magnificent!

-Designer and builder: Gerry Rivera (a.k.a., SIMANO).
-Single IPS Motor with GWS 5.86 gearbox.
-GWS Slow Fly 9 X 7 prop.
-2s Li-Poly 1020's.
-4 Channel GWS pico receiver.
-2 amp GWS ISC-50 ESC.
-Rudder and Elevator only.
-AUW 6.6oz.

It flew fast for a light park flyer and climb strong. Spins were excellent since it has lots of rudder area. However, could not acomplish loops, it stalled on top but, recovery was not a problem, it just continued level flight without any inputs from the R/C flyer!

I Love the RASCAL's wing design and it's flight characteristics, very scale.

THANKS A BUNCH GERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are pal!
Carlos.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:19 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
RASCAL's In-Flight Pictures

Racal can fly at half throttle very nicely and is very relaxing plane, she can turn on a dime!

Wow!
Carlos.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:20 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Rascal Coming in for a landing!

Racal coming in for a touch and GO!
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:25 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Racal performing low pass!

Racal performing a low pass.....both Gerry and myself were able to enjoy CINCO DE MAYO for a good while right before the rains came again!
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:28 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
The designer and builder, Gerry!

The designer and builder, Gerry!
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:31 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Rascal back in the dry Hanger!

Rascal back in the Dry Hanger!
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:33 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,455 Posts
If you put the 3.75 gear ratio with the 7X6 or maybe even an 8X6 prop it will have more airspeed/RPM's and it should then do loops.

It would had been able to loop with the 5.86 9X7 had I put more airfoil on the wing I think.

Very easy and rewarding project. I think next will be a Citabria I have three views for, or another Bucker Jungmeister, both for IPS motors and 1020 Lipoly's...

Carlos, I hope you'll have countless hours of enjoyable flights on the Rascal...enjoy!!

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:39 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,455 Posts
Carlos, I put that half moon bulkhead behind the motor compartment to serve as a joining element for the curved nose top and the windshield...That should pretty much finish the basic look of the plane.

Can't wait to see what kind of markings you come up for it!!...maybe a sunburst on the top of the wings and checkerboard on the bottom?...we'll you'll know best...enjoy!!

Gerry.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:41 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Thanks again Gerry!

I sure will enjoy this little RASCAL! She is a very good flyer and very relaxing foamie! I am ordering the Li-Poly's right now!

Thanks so much for this RASCAL, Gerry!

I will give you the receiver and crystal at work.

Carlos.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 06:46 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,455 Posts
Sounds good Carlos...those Lipoly's are the best way to go nowadays.

For the top cowling/nose area I was thinking of cutting a piece of thinner foam from a picnic plate and just bending it over the front till you find the best shape. Likewise with the windshield...

Gerry.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:25 AM
Wayne's World - Illinois
Joined May 2002
847 Posts
Sounds like you two are getting hooked on this fanfold thing-huh? Lots of possibilities out there for builds especialy when using fiddlers green plans as a basis. I'm now building the FG D-7 and D-8 and have a foam DR1 sitting off on the side. Don't discount walmart foam board for building too...might run alittle more money, but has no "grain" like the blue core...just a thought{remove the paper backing for less weight}. Check out " fiddlers green.net " to see all the planes they have that can be blown up.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:41 AM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,455 Posts
Scratchbuilder...I have several paper models and some from Fiddler's Green...it's a great hobby on it's own right too!!...

Next for me will be adding a removable landing gear on my "Cinco De Mayo" sport flier so I can fly it anywhere I want. Of course I will add the rudder function as well. This may add around 1.5 ounces for a total of 8 - 8.5 ounces AUW...which I think will still perform quite good on the Speed 280.

Gerry.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:55 AM
Wayne's World - Illinois
Joined May 2002
847 Posts
Tell carlos to check his PM's and you two get back to me....
{shhhhh}
Old Mar 24, 2003, 10:06 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,590 Posts
I'm glad they moved this post to the foamies forum. I was afraid that the "secret forum police" were going to show up at my front door. I spend most of my time here anyway. Although I still don't see the difference...a majority of the posts in the parkflyer forum are about foam plane anyway.

I digress...

Back to the Rascal. Did you fellas build from three views, I've been looking for a set for a while. I'd like to build a small scale Rascal for an IPS A. Don't want to buy a Rascal kit for a set of plans though. Or did you guys just freelance the outline and fill in the rest. I think this may be a popular project around here given the popularity of the Rascal design. Fill in as much info as you can.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000