HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2009, 01:15 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ward
Back in the day(early 1960s) my dad and I were overjoyed when we could actually fly back to where we took off from. Plane was a Midwest Lil Esquire with OS 10. Radio was Kraft single channel tone transmitter(tube type) with Citizenship super regen receiver on 27 mhz. Control surfaces moved by Babcock dual compound escapement with second escapement for throttle. We used to worry about being shot down by truckers talking on 27 mhz CB radios.
I just bought a 2.4 radio and apparently they have their own issues. Nothing changes, flying RC is still a matter of faith to a certain extent.

Like these?

Back in the day when viberators were used for DC power supplies not sexual aids!!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2009, 01:34 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,953 Posts
I have a Babcock escapement I got in a box of parts. For those of you who don't know, your gas r/c plane back in the day had a huge rubber band inside it to power the controls. The escapement was like a non-proportional rubber-powered servo. If you pressed the button on your TX once, you got left, twice you got right, IIRC.

My first radio set was a really basic 2-channel Futaba G set I bought from American Hobby Center in 1978, I think. The servo output arms didn't even have output splines, you got your choice of 4 90 degree postions. I still have the servos and they still work, actually. I flew them and that receiver up until 1996 or so. That wasn't even silver-standard gear.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Mar 04, 2009, 01:46 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
The servo output arms didn't even have output splines, you got your choice of 4 90 degree postions. I still have the servos and they still work, actually. I flew them and that receiver up until 1996 or so. That wasn't even silver-standard gear.
HeHe! Yep, I still have some of those old Futaba servos with the square output shaft. They still work; what quality those old things were made with back then!

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Mar 04, 2009, 01:50 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
You guys can keep the "good old days" if you want. I much prefer the here and now.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 04, 2009, 02:04 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
Back then it was "the here and now"!!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Mar 04, 2009, 02:22 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,346 Posts
I will 2nd Clay's view on 2.4 vs 72.

Sometimes no matter how careful you and the other pilots are, accidents can still happen. I have been shot down just 2 times. At Fairview in Costa Mesa.

Once when a liar turned on his TX without even checking the freq board and had the nerve to claim he had checked and that I had my freq pin in the wrong place. He subsequently moved my pin . I never have seen that guy since.

After that incident, I bought a freq checker and an Icom scanner. Would always turn it on set to the freq I was on to scan while I prepared for the flight.

On one occasion I did the routine after placing a clip on the free ch 54 freq board. After about 10 minutes of getting the Sharon Pro ready together I checked the Icom again to see if there was even a hint of someone being on it.... all clear. I go to the winch, proclaimed "launching" and heave the 3.7M TD ship into the air...

As Murphy would have it, right after the zoom, the plane became erratic and went straight in. I knew it was a freq conflict as I went to my radio case to check and sure enough the led bars on the Icom was solid of 54 when my TX was off.

We checked around and found out that a fellow modeler was on 54 out of view about 200yds away on the slope. He was working on his plane and dd not have his radio on in the ten minutes I was getting ready.

The only conclusion I got from that flight was that someone must have had removed his freq 54 pin from the board because as we walked up to the board, my pin with my name is on 54. I felt helpless. But can't 100% say it was anyone's fault.

So you see, even being prudent and as thorough as I was then, accidents can and will still happen. Its the laws of numbers.

Anyway, I am on 2.4 now and will gladly donate that Icom scanner to whatever group that may need it still... Target? That may be your group, if not I can send it up north.
T
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Mar 04, 2009, 03:59 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard
Anyway, I am on 2.4 now and will gladly donate that Icom scanner to whatever group that may need it still... Target? That may be your group, if not I can send it up north.
T
Target:

You have first dibs. We could use a scanner to add to our bag of tricks at RC event flying venues (AMA, RCX, etc.) if you don't need it.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 04, 2009, 04:50 PM
I want my MoM, again!
Concord, California
Joined Jul 2004
354 Posts
The Icom R5 is a great receiver. It can be had for a little over $200 new.

There is a guy outta country selling cheap USB data cables on Ebay and they work great. You can program the RC channels #'s to display as well as the actual Frequency. You don't need to have the USB cable but it makes the job a lot quicker. There are also cheaper and better alternatives to the Icom programming software.

It's selectivity and sencitivity are far about that of the simple RC only checkers. This allow detection of signals at greater range.

Barry

Lots-o-info on the yahoo group regarding the R5.

BUT, if I had the $200 in my pocket again, I'd likely go 2.4GHz.
Barry_DVRC is offline Find More Posts by Barry_DVRC
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:25 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauga
Hehe. I just stuffed a new encoder in an old World Engines 'Expert' case, I posted details in my blog on here somewhere...

Computer radio, vintage case.

Nauga,
nostalgic
Wish I had done that with the two single stick Futaba transmitters I had in the early 90's.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Mar 04, 2009, 07:15 PM
Breaker of wind and wings
Montrose, Colorado
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
Funny thing happened on the way to the forum,... err slope. Just as I finished loading my planes into the car, my neighbor pulled up and said he had a "brand new Eclipse 7 with a spectra module" that he wanted to sell for 150 bucks. My good side was thinking "Cool! - back-up transmitter", my bad side was thinking " Hmmm - trip to California - ch# 50,... SHAME - get that thought out of your head".

Ok with that thought now fully purged, back to business. I asked my neighbor If I could look at it and he obliged by heading into his garage and started rummaging thru a pile of stuff that no longer fit into the proper house space, he came out with a grey box still in its factory wrapping! - only it wasnt an "Eclipse 7 with a spectra module" - IT was a Spektrum DX7 2.4ghtz system - Brand spankin new with the price sticker still on it at 374.00 bucks. My neighbor said he got it thinking it would work with his R/C cars and rock crawlers, but he didnt like the idea of using sticks instead of a steering wheel, so he changed his mind and got a 2.4ghtz system specificially for ground bound toys. I verified his price of 150 bucks, wrote a check for said amount, told him I had to get to the slope in a hurry - true, but I didnt want him to re-consider the price, so off I went to my slope - new 2.4ghtz system in hand. Life is good.

-Konajoe
Konajoe is offline Find More Posts by Konajoe
Last edited by Konajoe; Mar 04, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2009, 07:27 PM
Volare!
San Franciso Bay Area
Joined Dec 2005
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard
T
If Target or others haven't already claimed it, I'd be greatful to take your Icom scanner and would gladly pay for shipping.

Sending PM.

-Matt
Matt Galland is offline Find More Posts by Matt Galland
Last edited by Matt Galland; Mar 04, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2009, 09:17 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,771 Posts
I'd be happy to have the scanner, Tuan, but only of the rest of the SCSR guys are willing to use it. I'll make a post to make sure that it will get used, before saying that we would like it.
If we don't really put it to use, then it should go to some group that will.

Thanks very much for the offer, and I will let you know when I know.

Safest Regards,

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 04, 2009, 09:31 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,346 Posts
The scanner is an older one. IC R2. Works pretty good and scans all 27 and 72 and other freq too, but I only programed it for the 3-4 channels I would use.

It is still in pristine condition.I got the info to get one from here:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...r_icomicr2.htm
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Mar 07, 2009, 03:00 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,771 Posts
Hi, gents:

Looks like SCSR response is 100% positive on accepting the scanner.

In the event that it proves to be too much work to put to use, SCSR will pay to ship it on to the next worthy group of Tuan's determination.

Thanks for your generosity, Tuan.

Best Regards to all.

Fly safely,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:48 AM
Super Combat Man
Northern Bay Area Cali
Joined Mar 2009
1 Posts
SHooter downer

Hey matt, its Dan. We met on friday at tick for the second time. Remember us (Keith too) ? we had the short but sweet combat session with the 12 pack of beers? Anyway Keith and I went out to 4 corners today to check things out and ran in to that guy! I thought he was a bit strange... something wasnt right. He had an old red and yellow home made woodie that he never launched or even assembled, and was driving that old white wagon type car. So BEWARE hes still in the area!! Hope to see you out again soon huh? Well as soon as the lift straightens out at least, its been nutty the past few days.

Dan
chriptyc is offline Find More Posts by chriptyc