Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:30 PM
Fargo N.D. Land of Blizzards-Floods-Mosquito's & Tornado's
Joined Jul 2008
1,168 Posts
Discussion
Help assigning Aux 1?

This is my first attempt at building a helicopter. I have ran into a snag on how to assign aux 1 on the receiver to left aileron. It is currently assigned to throttle so when I throttle up the servo is operating and the motor starts. I have a DX6i with an AR6100e receiver.
I just don't know how to actually assign it with the receiver? Help??
helinut2 is offline Find More Posts by helinut2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2009, 05:41 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,013 Posts
You're going to have to tell us a good deal more about what type of helicopter and what exactly your problem is. Also, you might be better off looking for information on how to set up a helicopter in the appropriate helicopter forum. Finally, "left aileron" doesn't apply in the case of a helicopter.

But here's a try anyway.

I'm assuming you are setting up a collective pitch helicopter with electronic CCPM arrangement (three servos driving the swash plate).

That means you should set the swash type for CCPM 120 (page 89 of the manual). If you do this, then receiver channel 6 drives servo 3, while channels 2 and 3 drive servos 1 and 2 respectively.

The servos are often called aileron, elevator and pitch, but this is very misleading as no one servo does any one function. Rather, the aileron movement of the right stick (assuming mode 2) causes the two side servos (1 and 3) to move in opposite directions (for lateral tilt). Forward elevator movement causes 1 & 3 to go down and 2 to go up (assuming the side servos are at the front). Collective pitch (throttle stick) causes all three servos to go up or down.

I hope this answers your question. If not, tell us more.

PS Your Lat and Long coordinates seem to indicate North Dakota. Why not show that directly in your profile?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Mar 01, 2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:20 AM
Fargo N.D. Land of Blizzards-Floods-Mosquito's & Tornado's
Joined Jul 2008
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
You're going to have to tell us a good deal more about what type of helicopter and what exactly your problem is. Also, you might be better off looking for information on how to set up a helicopter in the appropriate helicopter forum. Finally, "left aileron" doesn't apply in the case of a helicopter.

But here's a try anyway.

I'm assuming you are setting up a collective pitch helicopter with electronic CCPM arrangement (three servos driving the swash plate).

That means you should set the swash type for CCPM 120 (page 89 of the manual). If you do this, then receiver channel 6 drives servo 3, while channels 2 and 3 drive servos 1 and 2 respectively.

The servos are often called aileron, elevator and pitch, but this is very misleading as no one servo does any one function. Rather, the aileron movement of the right stick (assuming mode 2) causes the two side servos (1 and 3) to move in opposite directions (for lateral tilt). Forward elevator movement causes 1 & 3 to go down and 2 to go up (assuming the side servos are at the front). Collective pitch (throttle stick) causes all three servos to go up or down.

I hope this answers your question. If not, tell us more.

PS Your Lat and Long coordinates seem to indicate North Dakota. Why not show that directly in your profile?
Thanks for the info. Well I figured radio question, good place to ask would be radio forum I understand that there really is not a left & right aileron on a heli, but it was the easiest way for me to describe what I was trying to achieve. I for some reason thought that when a person had the dx6i radio model type set to Helicopter that it would automatically set the swash to ccpm. Obviously I was mistaken and the issue has now been resolved.
I suppose I could put my location. I just never got around to filling out much of my profile.
Once again I appreciate the reply
Thanks
helinut2 is offline Find More Posts by helinut2
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:57 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinut2
I for some reason thought that when a person had the dx6i radio model type set to Helicopter that it would automatically set the swash to ccpm.
It's only fairly recently that electronic CCPM has become the standard setup. But it might make sense now for Heli mode to set CCPM as the default. On the other hand, that would confuse the hell out of anyone who was trying to use it for a coax or FP machine, or fixed wing (by mistake). You can't win!

The main reason for stating at least a general location is that many things, especially relating to radios, differ by country.

Good luck with the helicopter. I've spent the past three years learning to set up and fly helicopters and it has been by far the most challenging part of my long RC career.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66