SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:41 PM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
892 Posts
Discussion
PZ Citibria vs Cessna vs Ember2???

I love flying park size planes. But, after moving, I don't live close to a large enough park. I was looking for a plane to fly in my front yard, or possibly in the small grassy patch at the end of the block. I have heard nothing but good things about these three planes. I was wondering which would work best for me. These are the my priorities...

1. Quiet. (not that I think any of these could make any noise at all...)
2. Smallest flight area
3. Able to actually fly outside. Which of these would handle a breeze the best?
4. Durability and availability of parts. (will be checking with the LHS for info on parts)

Thanks in advance.
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:11 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
I've only owned the Cessna, but from what I've read so far on the forums, I think the Cessna or Citabria will be your best bet. Ember will be the most sensitive to wind of all of them. Not sure about where you live, but around here a 0mph wind day/evening probably only happens a handful of times out of the whole year. That said, I can fly my Cessna most evenings, so long as the winds have died down below 5mph. Any more than that and you can fly it, but it's more taxing than it is enjoyable. Luckily, they're nearly impossible to break so it's not much risk to give it a shot.

As far as noise, they'll all be very close to the same, and won't be too noisy at all. Not much louder than someone talking, especially once it's away from you even a short distance.

If I remember right, the Citabria has a little more wing area, which allows it to fly more slowly, but will make it slightly more sensitive to wind. But, I think you'd be hard pressed to really notice the difference.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:04 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
We have 3 210's and 2 Citabria's. If the wind is dead calm, the Citabrias are always the choice, because it flies slower and turns sharper and you can fly it real close in.

If there is even the tiniest breeze, the 210 will perform better, because it flies faster and can penetrate the wind.

More than 5 mph wind and none of them are very good and 10mph wind is risking structural damage to the aircraft.

Sound has a lot to do with gearbox lube and how true the gearshaft is and if the gear is correctly located on the shaft. Noise is an indication of a problem in the gearbox/prop. They should be relatively quiet, otherwise.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:01 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
i have only own the Ember, but from what ive seen and heard, the ember will fly the slowest and tightest turning circle, ive heard that it actually handels the wind best becuase there is no fuselage to create drag from the wind, just a stick, but in my opinion, i think between the citabria and the ember the wind handling will be pretty much the same, you really cant go wrong with any of them, the cessna is a lot faster and less aerobatic. but i would go with a Ember 2, you could use a really nice radio once you get one, and the range is beyond visual range, up to and beyond 1000 feet. while i believe the cessna and citabria are limited to 150 feet and the regualr ember limited to about 300 feet.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
A 16in plane 300ft away is a tiny spec. Most of the flying we do has the plane less than 100 feet away.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:12 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
that is true, but sometimes blown away by wind, or soars up in a thermal, or you just want to go up reall really high in a thermal, its nice to now that you can take it up to and byond a tiny spec and never worry about range, as i have heard with many worrying about range on there cessna's and citabria's.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:31 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
I have had them all!

Cessna, citabria, ember, vapor and blade mcx.

You can ask me almost anything.

I like the citabria the best for slow scale flights.
Cessna for the speed.
Ember for front lawnflying
Vapor for indoor living room flying.
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Mar 01, 2009, 06:01 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Unless you have near zero wind - less than 5mph none of them are very good. You need a bigger plane - and heavier. Still many good choices that will handle a bit of wind...

Like:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4800

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:34 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
super cub is pretty fast man, not as durable as these itty bitty ones.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:48 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
super cub is pretty fast man, not as durable as these itty bitty ones.
That's funny. The super cub is FAR more durable and is able to handle wind. The small ones are so LIGHT they do not break as easily - so I get where you are going.

But again for a front yard flyer the extra weight and size of the mini super cub are welcome IMHO.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:51 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
wel lets ask himehow big his yard is and the grassy patch is. some front yards are big enough fora mini super cub, others aren't. so how big are they?
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:59 PM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
892 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Keep them coming. I'll provide a little more background. The size of my yard is tiny. The mini cub is much too big. I was hoping for something I could fly in as close to the same area as I fly my Airhogs Aero Ace in. I think I have narrowed it down to the Citibria or the Ember2. The speed of the Cessna takes it out, as I really want as small a flying area as possible. (sad part is that I like the look of the Cessna the best)

I do have larger planes, and I used to fly them quite a bit. So, I am not trying to learn to fly, just want to keep flying. (GWS Corsair, Great Planes SE5a, HobbyLobby F-18 blue angle...) I don't have the time to make the trip across town as often as I used to fly.

The best part, is we have zero wind days a lot here.
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
Old Mar 01, 2009, 10:41 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
parkzone vapor? living room plane, fllies just about anywhere, flown mine in a 8 by 8 space. but i think the ember is a bit slower than the citabria, lighter i think and bigger wing.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 10:53 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
FWIW I have a tiny front yard, and fly the cessna in my yard, a little bit of a neighbors yard, and the street. Only takes a few seconds to get up high enough that passing cars aren't an issue. Sometimes I'll venture farther for the fun of it - maybe 2x2 or 3x2 front yards, but it's not necessary. Also, you can cut flaps into the wings, which will slow it down and lower the stall speed quite a bit.

But with all the responses, it sounds like the Citabria is your best bet. Heck, now I want to get one!
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Mar 01, 2009, 11:06 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I flew my citabria around on my driveway on the side of my house. Something I couldn't do with a cessna, but I didn't like the wingtip rash from the low turns scraping the concrete, so I went back to the green area on the other side of my house.

The smaller the area, the better the Citabria is over the Cessna.