HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:10 AM
ft. worth, tx
Joined Nov 2002
22 Posts
Rant
li-poly pack failure (title edited by Brian Cullen Mar 20, 2003 due to language)

New at li-polys. made a 2 cell series pack of 560's. Everything seemed okay, charged okay with the LIPO 402 charger set to 560 mah and 7.4 volts. Pack ran fine. Charged for a few minutes, semed fine, then charged for about 20 minutes and pack fried, swelled up, and emitted an awful smell.

What happened?

I replaced the pack with the ni-cad pack and charged thru the jack on the model, it works fine, so nothing shorted out in the model. I looked at the solder connections and they are fine.

Ed
efurche is offline Find More Posts by efurche
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:38 AM
KOREA
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
very sorry to hear the situation.your set up of 2 series 7.4volt is right.to determine the reason we need following data
1)swelled both cell ?
2)check the voltage of the swelled each celland let me know.

Then we can advise. Thanks
JJ HONG is offline Find More Posts by JJ HONG
Old Mar 20, 2003, 08:53 AM
ft. worth, tx
Joined Nov 2002
22 Posts
Don't really want to mess with it, as it may leak or something. The odor emitted when it swelled, was awful.
The pack measures about 5.1 now.
I am using the LIPO 402 charger set to 7.4 volts and 560 mah. All voltages were correct prior to the swelling incident.

There are no shorts in the model charging jack, as I put the Ni-Cad pack back in and charged it just fine.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 09:05 AM
KOREA
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
I fully understand your points but to determine the reason,pls tell whether both cells were swelled or one cell was swelled.
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 20, 2003, 07:44 PM
ft. worth, tx
Joined Nov 2002
22 Posts
fma direct asked me to send the charger and the 2 cells to them for evaluation.

In answer to your question, both cells swelled the same amount.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:55 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,442 Posts
Ed,
I had a similar experience after having reversed the charging leads. Is it possible you might have reversed the charging leads? My experience with Lipolys so far shows that they are as robust as nimh when it comes to abusing them, but reversing the charging leads I guess will destroy any battery but quick.

Danny
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:16 AM
KOREA
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Danny Troy
Ed,
I had a similar experience after having reversed the charging leads. Is it possible you might have reversed the charging leads? My experience with Lipolys so far shows that they are as robust as nimh when it comes to abusing them, but reversing the charging leads I guess will destroy any battery but quick.

Danny
-----------------------------
reverse charging lead will not cause that problem because kokam lipo 402 was designed to protect this possible case already.
If both cells are swelled,it will be one/millions posibility of cell failure.If every setting ware correct,it should be a charger problem.FMA will investigate the reason.anyway,if the user is not satisfy,we are reposible for that.
sorry for his unconvenience. Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:02 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
WOW!

That is a responsible manufacturer!

I am very impressed Mister Hong.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:03 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
>> There are no shorts in the model charging jack, as I put the Ni-Cad pack back in and charged it just fine.

It sounds as if you may be keeping your battery packs inside the aircraft, and charging them through a jack in the side of the aircraft. Am I understanding this correctly? If so could there be something in the wiring circuit that would cause a problem with the LiPo pack and LiPo charger that does not show up with a NiCd pack and NiCd charger?
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:00 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,442 Posts
JJ Hong,
You're right about reversing the charging leads. What I forgot to mention is that on had been distracted when assembling a Kokam pack and accidentally connected - + + -
instead of - + - + . I then hooked the misconfigured pack to the charger. I believe one cell swelled and vented and the other was fine. I'm sure that could not have happened in Ed's case.

Danny
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Mar 30, 2003, 07:43 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,716 Posts
Re: li-poly pack failure (title edited by Brian Cullen Mar 20, 2003 due to language)

Quote:
Originally posted by efurche
New at li-polys. made a 2 cell series pack of 560's. Everything seemed okay, charged okay with the LIPO 402 charger set to 560 mah and 7.4 volts. Pack ran fine. Charged for a few minutes, semed fine, then charged for about 20 minutes and pack fried, swelled up, and emitted an awful smell.

What happened?
Ed
Ed, Have you heard anything about the charger yet?

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 30, 2003, 09:06 AM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
no one mentioned it yet, but DO NOT SMELL THEM!! some of the stuff they release can be extremely toxic. If they are ballooned, handle with extreme care.
rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer
Old Mar 30, 2003, 04:31 PM
Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,070 Posts
In handling any battery, if the cell outgasses. a residue with some toxicity , as defined by EPA, is generated. The outgas from Lithium Ion or Li Po can have a minute trace amount of hydrogen fluoride in it. However, "smelling" a cell isn't going to expose you to any real harm because the release is in such trace amount. If you have ballooned a cell and want to dispose of it, it works perfectly to have a container of salt water handy, punch a small hole in the plastic envelope and drop the cell into the water. You will see a small stream of bubbles as the gas enters the water. Let the cell sit in the water a few hours and you can throw it in the garbage with no concern. Lead acid batteries outgas hydrogen that can be explosive and, of course, lead is a heavy metal like cadmium with attendant toxicity. NiCds outgas minute mounts of strong base (hydroxy) compounds because they use potassium hydroxide as electrolytic. NiCds are the bad actor as the Cadmium in them is sufficiently toxic that one must recycle NiCds and never throw them in the trash.
electroman is offline Find More Posts by electroman
Old Mar 30, 2003, 06:00 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by electroman
In handling any battery, if the cell outgasses. a residue with some toxicity , as defined by EPA, is generated. The outgas from Lithium Ion or Li Po can have a minute trace amount of hydrogen fluoride in it. However, "smelling" a cell isn't going to expose you to any real harm because the release is in such trace amount.
I interpret your statement as saying if you want to pick up the cell and smell it, that's OK. Is that what you meant to convey?

I would think it would be prudent to try ones best not to smell the gases released from any battery.

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 30, 2003, 07:19 PM
ft. worth, tx
Joined Nov 2002
22 Posts
fma hasn't looked at the charger or the cells yet(said early this week). Meantime, I ordered a 2 cell series pack made up by another company. I'm so ready to get this thing going....