HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:29 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopfoot
I just bought some ZipZap motors hoping to see some better performance with the stock battery. Unfortunately, the motors stop for a short period every second or so. Does anyone know what causes that?
Sounds like the stock battery doesnt have the power to supply the bigger motor. When mine was completely stock, it would do that sometimes once the battery was almost completely dead. I dont think I ever tried running the ZipZap motor with the stock NiMH. If you've got a broken AirHogs Havoc helicopter (or anything else with a 50mah lipo), and can do a bit of soldering, you can do the lipo swap and erase the start/stop problem.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:15 AM
Bonified Bad***
Joined Sep 2007
12 Posts
Hey guys. Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm thinking about picking up one of these to mess around with, but I'm having second thoughts. I've noticed a lot of you are talking about steering issues...

What are the steering issues with the Terrain Titans? Is is something that is easily fixed?
McLovin is offline Find More Posts by McLovin
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:43 AM
Joined Apr 2009
25 Posts
It's easily fixed once you upgrade the battery. The big problem is with the return. There's a little piece of metal on the trim lever. You need to push it in a little towards the steering magnet. Then if you want tighter turns, cut off the 2 little poles that limit the steering. You can do both of these things without even taking it apart.
rt450 is offline Find More Posts by rt450
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
32 Posts
Hey guys, new here, and a couple questions about these.

Does anyone know the size/dimensions of the stock battery? It was mentioned that they're 120 mAh NiMH. I'm looking into replacing it with a longer-life NiMH battery, but I want to be able to do it without cutting the chassis, just a simple swap.

I bought the TRU exclusive set that comes with an extra motor, I believe it's the same as the Orange Q-Steer motor, but the battery life seems really short because of it. It came with a different set of gears too, but from what I can tell it looks identical to the stock one, just a different color - same number of teeth and everything.

Also does anyone know a good site to purchase batteries and motors? They would have to ship to Canada. I managed to find http://www.batteryspace.com/. Looks pretty good, but if anyone knows a place with better selection or prices I'd like to look into it.
kirbenvost is offline Find More Posts by kirbenvost
Last edited by kirbenvost; Aug 19, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:08 AM
Bonified Bad***
Joined Sep 2007
12 Posts
I recently saw the TRU Exclusive set that has the ramps, additional tires, and the extra motor and gear. My question is, is the set worth it? It costs about $10 more than the standard Terrain Titan, but I like the design of the car better and I'm wondering about the performance of the new motor and gear.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
Joined Aug 2009
32 Posts
I've bought both kits already. There is a noticable difference with the new motor, the car does go quite a bit faster on smooth flooring, enough to get some small air off the supplied jumps. The standard motor can still go off the jumps, it just doesn't get much air. On medium carpet the difference is negligable, and the buggies are terrible on thick carpet anyway. The gear set seems identical aside from the color as far as I can see, I compared each gear side by side.

Also, because of the increased performance of the motor, the battery charge of the buggy lasts a bit less, and when it runs out it's more sudden. That's an alright tradeoff in my mind because the speed is higher. It's also why I'm looking into modding them so I can get more battery life. 4-5 minutes off a 45 second charge is pretty sweet, but more would be even better.

I also like the toolbox/storage case that comes with the set, I've got the two which connect together to comfortably fit 4 buggies with remotes, several sets of spare AAAs for the remotes, a small screwdriver (not supplied with the kit) for changing batteries & motor swaps, and all spare parts, minus the jumps. If you only had 1 kit and the 1 car it comes with, you could fit everything in there, including the jumps.

Last night my sister came over and we literally spent hours playing with the things. I stuck the jumps & cones to the floor with some bluetack, which made for some awesome jumps, crashes and barrel rolls. Fun times.

On battery life, the first buggy I bought just started to run out in the remote. So it lasted a good 2 weeks+ with at least a few sessions per day.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:57 AM
Bonified Bad***
Joined Sep 2007
12 Posts
Thanks a lot, kirbs! I might treat myself to the TRU kit then.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
32 Posts
No worries, glad to help as usual. Which one are you getting? I think I prefer the kit with the orange buggy, but they're both pretty nice.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:20 PM
Bonified Bad***
Joined Sep 2007
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbenvost
No worries, glad to help as usual. Which one are you getting? I think I prefer the kit with the orange buggy, but they're both pretty nice.
Not sure yet. I didn't really get a good look at them, but one that caught my eye was a boxy red or orange one [TRU exclusive, I mean]. I might try to get one that looks like my older brother's old red Turbo Panther, for pure nostalgia. [I just looked up some pictures of that one on the web and almost teared up a bit ]

I remember you mentioned something about favouring the thin front wheels over the knobbly front wheels - do the ones with the studs not stay straight, or something? [Sorry, I forgot what you had said!]
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:14 PM
UFO addict
Texas
Joined Jan 2009
932 Posts
my mtt collection

jk3n0bi is offline Find More Posts by jk3n0bi
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:56 PM
Joined Aug 2009
32 Posts
^Nice! Maybe I should post a pic of my storage box...

The Boomerang's actually a nice looking buggy, maybe I'll pick that one up when it comes out here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin
Not sure yet. I didn't really get a good look at them, but one that caught my eye was a boxy red or orange one [TRU exclusive, I mean]. I might try to get one that looks like my older brother's old red Turbo Panther, for pure nostalgia. [I just looked up some pictures of that one on the web and almost teared up a bit ]

I remember you mentioned something about favouring the thin front wheels over the knobbly front wheels - do the ones with the studs not stay straight, or something? [Sorry, I forgot what you had said!]
Whoops, I just saw this now, didn't get the notification. Yeah, the ones with the thin front wheels seem to run straighter, probably because the knobby ones have more chances for irregularities in the tires and such.

Even if they don't run straight it can be fixed somewhat with the trim lever thing on the bottom of the buggy, but that does affect the turning radius.

It's not too major though, if you really like the designs with the fat tires, go for it. But if you only chose one and it came down to a choice based on the tires I'd go for the skinny ones.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:20 PM
Bonified Bad***
Joined Sep 2007
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbenvost
^Nice! Maybe I should post a pic of my storage box...

The Boomerang's actually a nice looking buggy, maybe I'll pick that one up when it comes out here too.

Whoops, I just saw this now, didn't get the notification. Yeah, the ones with the thin front wheels seem to run straighter, probably because the knobby ones have more chances for irregularities in the tires and such.

Even if they don't run straight it can be fixed somewhat with the trim lever thing on the bottom of the buggy, but that does affect the turning radius.

It's not too major though, if you really like the designs with the fat tires, go for it. But if you only chose one and it came down to a choice based on the tires I'd go for the skinny ones.
Roger that, thanks mate!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:04 AM
UFO addict
Texas
Joined Jan 2009
932 Posts
One thing I have noticed though, is when I run all 4 of them at the same time, there seems to be an interference. Anyone have that same issue.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
32 Posts
Haven't noticed any interference with the buggies, but I've only run two at a time with different frequencies. There are only 4 frequencies, maybe you're running two with the same frequency?

I have noticed the remotes interfere with the TV remote, while I'm running some of my buggies I can't change the channel on the TV at the same time. Makes sense, since both systems run on Infrared.

I actually got a Bit Char-G car in the mail yesterday, which of course works on regular radio frequencies, and I noticed the range for the Terrain Titans is actually significantly better. I'm glad they decided to use the IR system. I wonder what the new Choro-Q Hybrid cars will be like. Probably very similar to Q-Steer, but I wonder if there will be improvements.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:03 PM
UFO addict
Texas
Joined Jan 2009
932 Posts
yes I made sure they were both different. Guess it might of been the lights or something.