HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:06 AM
Retired and happy..
Malaga Province, Spain
Joined Jan 2008
135 Posts
Build Log
1924 Diesel tug Craig

I have just ordered a set of plans for this tug and am after as much information about her as I can get.

So far, I know she was designed by J Murray Watts and built by the Craig Brothers Marine Railway Company of Norfolk, Virginia for use in those local waters.

Any information will be gratefully accepted.

Barry

PS. Can't post a picture as the ones I can find are copyrighted..
Footski is offline Find More Posts by Footski
Last edited by Footski; Apr 08, 2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: No longer a question. Now a build thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:34 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,374 Posts
Hi Footski - could you post a link?
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:50 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
This one?
http://modelplans.steamboats.org/p16-craig.html

I'm assuming you have seen this?..
http://books.google.com/books?id=uhI...sult#PPA161,M1
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,374 Posts
Ah....nice sheer on that one...
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:10 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,097 Posts
John Fryant is a member on this forum, you could see if he has any extra info.

Craig Brothers was bought out by Lyons Shipyard in Norfolk, they're still in business, could be a start there.

Also, Mystic Seaport has her on it's list of named vessels, you can order whatever articles that might have for 50 cents a page.
capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:20 AM
Retired and happy..
Malaga Province, Spain
Joined Jan 2008
135 Posts
toesup,

Yes that is the one..

Thanks but yes I have seen those llinks. capntroy, thanks again ,but have seen that. Mystic Seaport article has no more info than I already have.

Really looking for anything about her time afloat!!
Old Mar 01, 2009, 10:49 PM
Joined Oct 2008
299 Posts
Footski,

If you find or have found any photos of the Craig tug, could you let me know where you found them? I'd like to have one or more to sell with the plans. Also, if any one builds the model, I'd like to see some photos of it.
John Fryant is offline Find More Posts by John Fryant
Old Mar 02, 2009, 03:14 AM
Retired and happy..
Malaga Province, Spain
Joined Jan 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fryant
Footski,

If you find or have found any photos of the Craig tug, could you let me know where you found them? I'd like to have one or more to sell with the plans. Also, if any one builds the model, I'd like to see some photos of it.

Will do John.
I hope to start building her later this year, but have a commission build of a Narrowboat to do first. I have sent you a pm.
Old Mar 04, 2009, 06:32 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,387 Posts
You might try joining the tug group on Yahoo at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tugboats/ If you put out an inquiry, you may even find yourself communicating with an ex employee of Craig. They are very responsive, and you get some great pictures if you ask for rich-text e-mail notification of posts.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 04, 2009, 10:06 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,387 Posts
You can also do a Research Request through the Steamship Historical Society of America. You can find their on-line Request Form here: http://www.sshsa.org/research/requestform They also cover Diesel powered vessels.

I used them for research in the 1980's and they sent me Xerox copies of a bunch of photos and I could then order the ones I wanted.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 05, 2009, 12:27 PM
Retired and happy..
Malaga Province, Spain
Joined Jan 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor
You can also do a Research Request through the Steamship Historical Society of America. You can find their on-line Request Form here: http://www.sshsa.org/research/requestform They also cover Diesel powered vessels.

I used them for research in the 1980's and they sent me Xerox copies of a bunch of photos and I could then order the ones I wanted.

Pete G.
Thanks Pete,

Request submitted..
Old Apr 05, 2009, 02:37 AM
Retired and happy..
Malaga Province, Spain
Joined Jan 2008
135 Posts
Well, I have got the model underway. Made up the frames and building board. Planked the hull using 3mm thick balsa planks,and have just started fibreglassing the inside, which is the first time I have ever done this. Once the inside is done, I will sand the hull down and glass the outside.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 08:07 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,065 Posts
Very nice! I believe I see a built-up keel and sternpost... and their width relative to the frames creates a "rabbet" to lay the planking into?

And I am curious... now that you have put fiberglass (or just resin?) inside the hull... would you recommend that for others? It seems like a lot of work for an area that stays dry (we hope!)
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 05, 2009, 08:47 AM
Retired and happy..
Malaga Province, Spain
Joined Jan 2008
135 Posts
Hi Patman, Well spotted. The keel is made up of 2 pieces of 3.2mm liteply and has two 2mm strengtheners glued to it which act as a support for the planking. The internal fibreglass is done because the planking is of balsa wood and so is very soft. Once hardened off I can sand the outside of the hull without the planking flexing, ready to glass the outside, thus getting a very strong and light hull.....well tht's the theory anyway!!
Old Apr 08, 2009, 02:08 AM
Retired and happy..
Malaga Province, Spain
Joined Jan 2008
135 Posts
Well I have now finished sanding the hull and glassed the inside. I have also put the first, "rough" glass on the outside. I have never done any fibreglassing before, but so far it seems okay.