SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2001, 06:17 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2001
12 Posts
aggg, whats the best way to connect 2 computers??

Well I got my laptop (I got the sony vaio and im loving it) but ive hit a brick wall with the task of getting all my old files from the old computer to the new. My first plan of attack was to use a syquest 'spaQ' 1.0 GB disks to get them over...this failed because the drive crapped out on me and is giving me all the problems in the world. Next I tried a direct cable connection thru the parallel port. This didnt work because neither computer reconized each other (I'm thinking the Win98 and WinME didnt agree...anyone know any fixes?). So then I became desperate and started putting the smaller files onto the old floppy disks to tranfer them over, one small chunck at a time. And yet this didnt even work because I still kept getting errors when I put them on the laptop. So now I'm getting quite annoyed with this whole situation, I'm beginning to think that this whole thing is cursed. My next plan is to upload the files onto the net (which will take a very very long time) and just DL them with the laptop, because I'm all out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a cheap solution to this problem because after laying down all this money for the laptop, im quite broke. Anyhelp is extremely appreciated.

Justin
TheSpruceMoose is offline Find More Posts by TheSpruceMoose
Old Jul 22, 2001, 06:32 PM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
Use a pair of LAN cards and a crossover cable to connect them. You can then set up a peer-to-peer network between the two.
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie
Old Jul 22, 2001, 10:19 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
If you have serial ports available you can connect them that way, with a null modem, but it'll be s-l-o-w.
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old Jul 23, 2001, 12:02 AM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Parallel or serial transfer will probably be slower than uploading them to the net.
The network card transfer might be the best way, but I think they have a USB cord now with some circuitry inline that lets you connect 2 computers to transfer files, but im not sure. check your local Comp USA or computer store and see what they have to say.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2001, 01:32 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,431 Posts
Well i would just leave them in a room on there own for a while.

Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Jul 23, 2001, 01:46 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
That name is too funny.

The Spruce Moose
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Jul 23, 2001, 07:52 AM
Okemos, Michigan
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheSpruceMoose:
Well I got my laptop (I got the sony vaio and im loving it) but ive hit a brick wall with the task of getting all my old files from the old computer to the new. My first plan of attack was to use a syquest 'spaQ' 1.0 GB disks to get them over...this failed because the drive crapped out on me and is giving me all the problems in the world. Next I tried a direct cable connection thru the parallel port. This didnt work because neither computer reconized each other (I'm thinking the Win98 and WinME didnt agree...anyone know any fixes?). So then I became desperate and started putting the smaller files onto the old floppy disks to tranfer them over, one small chunck at a time. And yet this didnt even work because I still kept getting errors when I put them on the laptop. So now I'm getting quite annoyed with this whole situation, I'm beginning to think that this whole thing is cursed. My next plan is to upload the files onto the net (which will take a very very long time) and just DL them with the laptop, because I'm all out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a cheap solution to this problem because after laying down all this money for the laptop, im quite broke. Anyhelp is extremely appreciated.

Justin
Hello,

Well there's one fix you can do that will cost you something. Actually two, but they are not expensive. You can get a USB network started (LAN cards are fairly cheap.) There are also all sorts of networks you can set up. CompUSA is a good source of networking goodies, (or Best Buy).

The other cheaper solution, depending how much work you want to do is to compress and break up the files in disk sized chunks. I've been in your place and I've done this option.

Arj, zip, and a few other compression techniques will take a few files that are large and compress them, then break them down to multi-file archives. You can specify the size of the archived files, i.e. 1.35 meg, or whatever. This method is time consuming and tedious though.

Or you could get yourself a cheap (USB/Parallel) Zip drive for a $100 and use it for both your laptop and desktop. (100 or 250 meg per disk isn't bad! Just don't fill the disk past 80% capacity for data safety!)

Hope that helps,

-- Sean
Crete1 is offline Find More Posts by Crete1
Old Jul 23, 2001, 08:14 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Laplink?

Have a look here and you can probably find a solution to your problem- should be better than using half-a-gazillion floppies anyroad.
http://www.laplink.com/inc/popuppcs5-1.asp

hth

Leccy
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:58 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2001
12 Posts
hmm, the zip idea sounds good because I remember doing that a couple years ago with something else (the breaking up of data over several floppies)..but still that sounds like a pain...the thing that really erks me is why wouldnt the direct cable link not work? Even if its terribly slow, I could still set it up to tranfer the files overnight or something. Is there really a conflict between Win98 and WinME in this area? Thats why I'm hesitent to get a crossover cable or the usb connection because mabey it wont work for that either...

Justin
Old Jul 23, 2001, 04:51 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Do a web search and download Fast PC Linker-III

I had the same problem with the Windows direct PC connection, but no proplem with using this program with a parallel cable to move about 3 GIG of files.

The demo period will allow you to do your job at no cost too...

several others have used this as well - simple and works great.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Jul 23, 2001, 04:54 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Get yourself a USB networking kit that explicitly supports ME and 98. You'll only need a hubm two cables, and the software. I know 98 will do it, I'm sure ME will. That way, you can set up network shares and simply copy the files over with Explorer..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 23, 2001, 06:05 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2001
12 Posts
ag, i tried the fast link III and it only worked on the laptop, arggggg. When I tried to run it on the computer(with win 98) it kept dying on the install. Go figre... Is there any other simular programs that will do this through the parallel port? I'm thinking I might have to acually buy stuff such as with the USB method described, but I really dont want to at the moment, at least for now.

Justin
Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:43 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
The parallel transfer is a pain to get to work sometimes, even between 2 computers both using 98, its just like internet sharing that is built into Windows, it can also be a real pain. Why do you think they call it Winblows?
If you are not in a major rush, you can get a network card for your PC at a online store for around $7-$15 each or maybe even your local Comp store,You don't need a brand name one most any cheap one will work fine.You can also find one for your laptop on Ebay or at a online store for around $20-$30 then all you need is a crossover cat 5 network cable, which will set you back probably $4 or $5.
You don't need any hubs for just 2 computers and that would be a waste unless you planned on adding more computers to your network anytime in the future.

[This message has been edited by Cue (edited 07-23-2001).]
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2001, 11:44 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2001
12 Posts
Both computers have network capability so I think I would go with the cross over cable idea...how exactly do you set that up?

Justin
Old Jul 24, 2001, 12:42 PM
Grizzled Member
Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA
Joined Mar 2001
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crete1:
...you could get yourself a cheap (USB/Parallel) Zip...Just don't fill the disk past 80% capacity for data safety!)
Crete,

I installed a Zip 250 (ATAPI) a couple months ago, and that's the first thing I thought of when I read this post. I <u>love</u> this drive setup, but what happens when you exceed 80% capacity?! So far I have one disk about 97% full and another about 30%. Am I in danger of loosing the info on the full disk?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Robinson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Robinson