SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 19, 2003, 02:59 AM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,186 Posts
Tom Hunt's He-111

Hey, Hey, Hey...

Got a Heinkel 111 on the way..

I am finally getting around to sharing some pics and building progress on Tom Hunt's He-111. I am about 80% done and will continue to post pics as the plane nears completion. Here are some specs.

-55 inch wingspan
-covered with Monokote.. I am going to add a North African camo job to it
-4 channel, stab, rudder, throttle, ailerons
-Fuse and wings are sheeted
-2 480bb motors with 1:2.5 gear reduction
-will use 3 bladed 9X7 props
-2400mah 8 cell nicad battery
-cowlings made from soft balsa
-planning on using converted 2 liter bottle combined with gumball machine plastic for the nose
-weight is expected to be around 80-85 ounces
-505 square inches of wing area (I think)
-used laser cut parts from Bob Holman.

-Tom's plans are great and the project has been a blast thus far. Any screw ups are my fault. Here are the pics..
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2003, 03:01 AM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,186 Posts
and another
Old Mar 19, 2003, 03:09 AM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,186 Posts
construction pic from earlier...
Old Mar 19, 2003, 03:11 AM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,186 Posts
and one last construction pic for now..
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:22 AM
albuquerque
Joined Sep 2001
1,122 Posts
That's comming along real nice. I also purchased these plans haven't started yet. still need to build a vacun former first before starting this project. Keep us posted.
jbest is offline Find More Posts by jbest
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:22 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Not to rain on your parade...

Umm, something doesn't jell here.

Around 500 squares OK- weight of 5 lbs kind of heavy- 4 lbs would be better for more scale like perfomance. I'm having to extrapolate between two airplanes I'm flying a P-38, and a Corbin Super Ace- the Corbin has a nice high lift wing- about 515 squares, and is flying on an 8 cell SR 3000 pack turning a 12x 8 prop using a Mega Mini7 geared 2:1- Flies scale like- but it's a bit heavy- and that's at 4.5 lbs IIRC. The '38 is very scale like, 200 watts a side (dual brushless), all up weight of 4 1/4 lbs, around 400 squares.

However- your power system is giving me the heebie-jeebies unless those 480BBs put out a lot more than I think they do.

Battery- 8 cell CP 2400- at 40A- maybe 320 watts. Given your weight- you're at 60-65 watts/lb- can work but not lots of reserve. Also, not a long run time.

However- you're running a 480BB on 8 cells pulling 20A for 160 watts- and that sounds pretty marginal. What happens if you blow a motor? Also-I'd check your pitch speed on those 9 x 7 props- with that kind of wingloading on this airplane- you need a pitch speed of 50 mph or about 7k rpm on 9 x 7s. What about going to a 10 cell CP 1700 pack- dropping the amps down a bit, and running a taller gear ratio?

Given your time and effort- I'd be inclined to shell out a bit more on a power system for this bird- isn't it worth it? I'm worried that this is a relatively heavy airplane, although with a nice thick wing, it might fly suprisingly well even without tons of power.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Mar 19, 2003, 06:49 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,186 Posts
Sam,

Thanks for your advice... I am pretty new at this and really don't know my watts, amps, gear ratios etc very well. I was going off of the plans and power set ups for similar size planes from HL which seem to be in this range.

While I am willing to shell out some dough for the right set up, I really need to know what this bird actually weighs.. probably a good time to get a scale. 80 oz is only a guess and may be inaccurate in which case this may not be necessary. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Alex
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:09 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,935 Posts
that looks great so far. I drool over a 18" free flight version a guy has at our indoor club
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:07 PM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
Work and family commitments meant that I've only got the wing and tail-feathers done on mine. I've gone a little away from recommendations, I'm fully sheeting the wings and tail (Better for scale finish) and using DD 600 power.
Robbie, at 55" do you think it will work indoors?
Ragnar is offline Find More Posts by Ragnar
Old Mar 20, 2003, 07:44 AM
W. NY
Joined Jan 2002
216 Posts
Flown successfully?

Anyone know of someone who has built and flown this electric HE111 from T. Hunt's plan? Looks like rekitter is getting close and is a beautiful building job! I also have the plan but too busy with other projects.
flicka5 is offline Find More Posts by flicka5
Old Mar 20, 2003, 09:04 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Call Kirk

Alex

When you get a scale, and your specs down- the guy to talk to is Kirk Massey at New Creations (936) 856-4630. I've lost count of the number of power setups he's helped me with (that means that he figured out) including my P-38. He's very patient, and knows his stuff. He won't come up with the cheapest setup, but he'll come up with a good one.

A couple of other things- one of the reasons to go brushless is a lighter weight motor, but that may not matter much to you-since I'll bet you need lots of noseweight, and the most forward spot on that airplane are the nacelles. Also note, there's no real harm in going to two completely separate power systems and running two batteries- especially if it helps with the cg of the airplane. Kirk may have some deals on Astro 035s geared, which might work pretty well. If you've got to cheap out- then Permax 450 Turbos geared might work pretty well too- run 10 cells or so.

Good luck, and let us know how it's coming- neat airplane.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Mar 21, 2003, 05:39 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,935 Posts
Ragnar,
you're crazy. although if you have enough elevator and aileron movement, anything is possible.
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Mar 21, 2003, 07:36 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,776 Posts
Hello all

Where can i get both the plans and the lazer cut parts of this He111 and for how much. Also is the a canopy aviable?

Great looking model btw.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:46 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stuart warne
Hello all

Where can i get both the plans and the lazer cut parts of this He111 and for how much. Also is the a canopy aviable?

Great looking model btw.
Hi Stuart, Since you live way over there across the great pond, I can get Bob Holman to send me a set of Laser parts and I can send both the plans and parts to you at the same time. The plans are only available from me. There are no vac-parts available yet.

I'll get Bob to tell me how they will cost me. I may order a few and keep them in stock. Send me a private email to tomhunt@optonline.net if you are interested.

Thanks
Tom
Modelair-tech
www.modelairtech.com
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Mar 25, 2003, 09:39 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,186 Posts
Hello All:

Been out of town for the past week... Thanks to all for your input on this project. Sam, I will explore those options. I think that you are correct about the cg issues with this plane, it does not have much of any nose.

Also, interested to hear from Tom about the proposed power setup (2 480 with 8 cell 2400mAH). The design has not get been flown, but I was wondering if the weight/power set up was based on experience with similar size/weight models... I really need to get a scale!

Thanks for the pic flica5, that is the color scheme I am shooting for.

Alex