HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,799 Posts
Here is an inflight photo of mine from the HEF indoor RC expo last weekend.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:27 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2007
539 Posts
Hello everybody!

Seeing the new Durafly Auto G that Hobby King is selling got the old juices flowing. I was ready to purchase one but $75 plus $45 shipping was a little more than I was willing to spend, so here I am. I had looked thru this thread some time ago but felt building one was above my skills. Fast forwardÖNow Iím retired and have more time than money. (And a few scratch builds under my belt) I have read the entire thread and Iím excited to give this one a try. I down loaded, printed and just finished cutting out the foam parts. Iím using a combo of Elmerís Foam board w/paper stripped, 6mm Cell foam and 3mm Cell foam for the blades. Iím planning on building a 3-ch/3-blade model. I have a 16g brushless motor, small 10a esc, 360 2S lipo, two 7.5g servos, some small wheels and other bits from past projects that will bring it all together. Iím hoping for an AUW of 6oz. Iíve used this motor to fly 7oz fixed wing planes but I donít know how it will work for this application.

Do the free spinning blades cause extra drag on the motor?

I do have an old eflite park 400 out runner but at 2oz and a larger capacity battery to run it Iím thinking the AUW would be too much.

Any thoughts before I dive in?

Thanks!
snrek is offline Find More Posts by snrek
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Apr 2005
993 Posts
It sounds to me as if you've got it well in hand.

I tried the "Blue Wonder" motor on my 3-blade and it was a little too wimpy at this elevation (5k ft). Went up to an EMax 2822 which is said to be the equivalent of a 370; also went to 3s 800 mAh packs. This power setup has been excellent for what I have and where I fly. Good acceleration, excellent climb, decent duration.

The one I built seems to require considerably more power for its weight than a fixed-wing of the same size. The 400 you have would probably do fine; you only need to find a position for the battery/esc/RX that will give you the correct CG. As to the weight, in my experience, it seems to do fine lugging around a 3s 1300 mAh pack, so you may not need to be overly concerned about weight.

Good luck with it and I predict you're really going to have a great time flying it.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:58 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,524 Posts
Snrek,

The rotor develops considerable drag; almost like dragging around a solid disc. I suggest you try it with your 16g motor... it might fly alright, but it won't be overly powerful. If it doesn't fly, you can easily retrofit a 24g motor.

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:30 AM
Joined Jan 2007
539 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was thinking the 16g motor might be a little under powered so I am glad I got some feedback. I ran across a Rimfire out runner I forgot I had. (Found in a bag with some props ) according to the spec sheet it weights just under an ounce and should power a 14oz sport plane. Iíll have to use my larger 18a ESC but I think this will be a better option.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:09 AM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
i need some info plz

for the blades i do not have carbonfiber rods. what can i use in it place thanks for any help
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Apr 2005
993 Posts
If there's any way you can do it, it would be worth ordering some CF rods for this project. RCFoam is a good source, and for as much as you'd need, the cost isn't too great. You could probably find fiberglass rods in a local hardware store that might work. I think you could use hardwood dowels and fiberglass them to the leading edge and that might be ok. What you're after is enough stiffness to keep the blades from bending too much under load but enough flexibility to let them bend a little. CF works great; it gives the flexibility you need but also incredible toughness. I've had the gyro try to roll over on the ground during takeoff and smack the rotor into the dirt...seems like it should have destroyed the blades but all that happened was that there was a crack in the root of one running from the TE all the way to the CF rod...I didn't see it and flew right after the crash successfully. I noticed that the behavior in the air was a little odd, but not too bad. Flew it again. No big deal. At home afterwards I found that crack...the CF had held everything together and kept it functional when anything else would have blown apart. I've got the mast reinforced with a CF rod now, runs from the hinge plate all the way down to the bottom of the fuse. You wouldn't believe how far that mast can bend now without breaking (I know...I've seen it!). So, if you can, go for CF!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:12 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
thanks
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:09 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Here is an inflight photo of mine from the HEF indoor RC expo last weekend.

Don
Don,
What Kv motor are you using?

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
539 Posts
Hi All, I just finished my version of this great auto gyro plan. I was going to use a 3-ch system but at the last minute added the 4th. I haven’t flown a 4-ch plane or heli in a couple of years and even then I was just getting the hang of it so I’m sure the old nerves will kick in as soon as I get it airborn for the first flight! Mine came in at 5 ľ oz without a battery. I have a 2S 360 that will help keep the weight low (6oz AUW) but I’m not sure if it will have enough oomph. I have some bigger 2S batts but the only 3S I have is a 750 and it tips the scales at 2 Ĺ oz. I’m going to start out with the 360 and go from there. Thanks again for the plans, the build techniques and comments.

UPDATE: I took my new auto gyro out for the maiden flight today. The first few hand launches were really short to get things dialed. Flights thereafter were still short and mostly just me over compensating for the breeze and lack of power the 360 2S was providing. On one almost no wind launch she seemed to want to climb so I brought her down and dialed in some down elevator. At this point I noticed the servo I used to control the rotor was very sloppy and not holding position so I taped the two pieces together. I also switched the rudder and aileron inputs so I was more or less flying a 3-ch plane. It was at this point I managed to get one flight where I made two 360’s and almost a figure eight. After a few more attempts I re-centered the elevator and tried moving the battery forward. It just proved to be a faster way to the ground. The last few attempts ended in hard right turns and nose-ins. I discovered the left side of the motor mount had broken so my day ended. A little more glue, tape and a better servo and I’ll be ready to try again.
Last edited by snrek; Jan 10, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:50 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
wow

two days ago i got 4min with this gyro and the wind was strong this is the first foam gyro i got to fly very happy !! trim very easy and fly nice
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2007
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechannelmast View Post
two days ago i got 4min with this gyro and the wind was strong this is the first foam gyro i got to fly very happy !! trim very easy and fly nice
Congratulations! Very niceÖI hope to get good results when my 3S 350mah batteries come in.

While waiting I came up with an idea. Not original as Iím sure someone somewhere has done this but I thought I would share just the same. I had gone out to a local parking lot to do a quick Ďtest taxií with my 750mah Ė 3S battery. (Wasnít planning on actually flying it because the area is a little small. I was curious to see if I could get some lift with this heavy battery) I plugged in the battery, set my auto gyro on the pavement, gave the blades a spin and was just starting to power up when a strong breeze came through. It sped the rotor up really fast and before I could get to it - it lifted off and blew over. Broke a blade and the mast control horn! All repaired now and as you can see in the pic I added a 4g servo. Itís plugged into the gear channel on the Rx. All I do is flip the gear switch on the radio and it moves the piece of foam up and holds light pressure on the rotor. I donít know if this will be a feature that I will need to use much but it is nice to get (Or have) the rotor stopped when on the ground.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2005
993 Posts
Congratulations, both of you!

The motor mount on mine broke off early-on and I finally backed it up with solid balsa fairings I whittled out of some triangular stock. The motor mount hasn't come off again...but the nose has! Gorilla glue works very well sticking things back together after one of my "landings". I have had a great time with it and may even get around to doing up a two-blade rotor someday.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:51 AM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
I am building this now...

deleted ALL photos, didn't work anyway.
XtalHunt is offline Find More Posts by XtalHunt
Last edited by XtalHunt; Sep 11, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
n/a
XtalHunt is offline Find More Posts by XtalHunt
Last edited by XtalHunt; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)