HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:45 AM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
i think i see thats for a 2 blade rotor if im doing a three blade i wouldnt need that correct?i wouldnt need that center piece of depron i meen
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Whatever you do, just have fun with it!
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Last edited by sr71fan; Jan 23, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Feb 2006
18 Posts
Hi many thanks for presenting this Gyro. Very inspiring!
Had to build one myself, based on the info presented, see result below (Pitcairn PA36).
Unfortunatelly flight characterisitcs have not been that great so far. Flies nice right turns but tends to fall into left turns. Starts are also risky, have rather strong right trimm in flight but have to hold to left during starts, otherwise it will roll to the right during start.
I guess I will have to play with roll trimming and motor angles.
Anyway, I loved building.

Werner
wernersen is offline Find More Posts by wernersen
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:38 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernersen View Post
Hi many thanks for presenting this Gyro. Very inspiring!
Had to build one myself, based on the info presented, see result below (Pitcairn PA36).
Unfortunatelly flight characterisitcs have not been that great so far. Flies nice right turns but tends to fall into left turns. Starts are also risky, have rather strong right trimm in flight but have to hold to left during starts, otherwise it will roll to the right during start.
I guess I will have to play with roll trimming and motor angles.
Anyway, I loved building.

Werner
Hi Werner
Very nice this is one of the models (Pitcairn PA36).I have on my list that I would like to build
Do you have any build photos or any flying video I would like to see how you made it
Joe
Jockadopolus is offline Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Feb 2006
18 Posts
Hi Joe,
I had it on my List for about 7 years before it came to be. It is a simple silhouette model covered up by a casing made by deep drawing selitron over a positiv mold. Silhouette is taken from the only good sideview photo of the PA36. Top and front view has to be deduced from other fotos of different angles. Have a look at "criticalpast", there are videos of the original and still fotos. I have only flying videos of the silhouette model without casing ( and these are not good). I had no chance to fly it with casing so far, sh.... weather here in Germany.
wernersen is offline Find More Posts by wernersen
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
934 Posts
Werner
Many thanks for the info
I did think it was molded I can see the tape holding the two halves together
I look forward to seeing your progress
You are best to start your own thread rather than posting here
Awe the best Joe
Jockadopolus is offline Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Message for Mintie (Graeme)

Hi Gang, This message is for Mintie (Graeme). I am building the AG3-2-40 autogyro, and was wondering what diameter spring steel wire you are using for the landing gear ?? Thanks for your help. Charlie Anderson (ottogiro58)
ottogiro58 is offline Find More Posts by ottogiro58
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Hi Gang, OK, much thanks to Mintie for the LG music wire specs. I am a noobie to electric models and need some information about charging /duration of the 2S 450mAh Lipo battery. How much flight time can I expect from a fully charged battery ?? I am running a Park 300 brushless outrunner (1380KV) and 9 x 4.7 Slow Fly prop. This model weighs in at 8 oz. I want to break in the battery properly, so this duration info would help. Also, any pics of the initial rotor tilt would be great. My version sports a fixed 40" two-bladed rotor head, dihedralled tailplane, and rudder/elevator/throttle control. I have the rotor head tilted slightly to the right to compensate for motor torque. The weather will be better in a couple of days for its test flight. Some much needed rain is heading this way. I will post pix soon. Thanks for any and all help. Charlie ottogiro58@aol.com
Last edited by ottogiro58; Feb 27, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Hi Gang, I'd like to thank Gary (sr71afan) for sending some helpful pix and information. You guys are great !!! Pictures of the new machine have been posted. The transmitter is on charge, and I am looking forward to some serious air time tomorrow morning. It will be great if the 3-channel control works well. I am hoping for a real floater !!! Talk soon !!! Charlie Anderson
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:03 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Good luck Charlie!

Have Fun!

Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Hi Gang, I did some test flying this morning of the new 3-channel autogyro and although I managed several flights, the machine would not climb well, even with full throttle and full up elevator. I even managed to lodge it some 15 feet up into a tree after becoming disoriented !!! The model was retreived, however, with the help of a long branch laying nearby. Other than a couple of nicks in the prop, it was virtually undamaged. Hah !!! I played with shifting the battery slightly, tried adding a little weight to the tail, changed the rotor angle slightly, but there was no significant improvement. To my delight, the rudder-only steering worked just fine. There was no problem with motor torque causing unwanted reactions.. So I am in need of some advice from an AG3-2-40 flyer. The plan calls for the CG to be located 5 mm in front of the rotor axle. Is this measurement taken at the top of the pylon, or do I draw a line down through the rotor axis to where it intersects the thrust line and measure 5mm forward of that point ?? There is a big difference between the two. I sure would appreciate any help.........Thanks Guys !!! Charlie
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Charlie,

My early flights at 5mm in front of the rotor shaft proved to be slightly nose-heavy. I now simply hold the top of the shaft (with the rotor installed), and move the battery until the shaft hangs vertically. The fuselage points down at the same angle as the back-tilt of the shaft. Mine climbs well on 2S with a comparable motor; I can't imagine why yours won't climb.

Gary
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Hi Gary, Before I flew the model, I held the model by the rotor shaft and gave it some throttle. It easily pointed its nose skyward at partial throttle. The power seems to be there. The model must have been too nose heavy. I've already relocated the battery further aft. This gyro is ready to reach for the sky !!! Thanks for your help, man. Charlie
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Hi Gang, I am happy to report the test flight results were much better today. After a bit more juggling of the battery pack at the field, I found a sweet spot and away she climbed. A bit of wind had developed but it seemed to handle it pretty well. I'm a bit rusty and flying out of a small ball park so I was a bit nervous. It has been 5 years since I've flown a gyro, but soon it was fun. I used up a few batteries then came home to more permanently mount the battery. I can attest to this models durability. There have been several minor repairs, but this depron stuff is great to work with. Foam-safe CA and Zip Kicker = I will also say that this baby is a floater !! Power off glide with the 40" rotor is spectacularly slow !!! At @ 8 oz., the loading must be low. All in all, I am happy with this design. Hats off to Gary for designing a real winner !!! I will be back out there tomorrow to get some more stick time. Happy Landings !!! Charlie
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,806 Posts
Congratulations Charlie

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings