The holes don't dig in?
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 03:43 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,551 Posts
We had an unusually windless day, and I hadn't flown the AG3 in a while, so I took it out for some exercise. I had forgotten how much fun it is! A couple of times, I took it way up, got it at the top of a loop, and chopped the power to see what would happen.

Gary

Electric Autogyro RC Model Fun (4 min 41 sec)
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:36 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Wooow, talk about tight loops. Why haven't I made one of these yet as I have set all the parts aside twice or more!!!!!!!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:35 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,719 Posts
Gary
That look's like a lot of fun .I like that loop where it look's as if the rotor stops. Great Video {as usual}
Chris..........
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Jan 31, 2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:17 AM
Duh
grain valley mo, or about 25 minutes east of kansas city
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf View Post
The holes don't dig in?
they sure don't. they do tend to pick little bits of snow up and throw it making sort of a rooster tail though. only down side is they don't track well on a shiny surface, like a gym floor.
jason
crashawk is offline Find More Posts by crashawk
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:53 AM
R/C Junkie
Claremore, OK, USA
Joined Feb 2004
369 Posts
Ordered carbon rod today. Will have enough to build several of these.

Brian
Sonex128 is offline Find More Posts by Sonex128
Old May 24, 2011, 12:05 AM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,551 Posts
I Forgot the Bloody Rotor!

I went to an indoor fly-in a hundred miles from home last month. I have flown my AG-3 autogyro there many times before. When I was preparing to fly it, I discovered that I had forgotten to bring the rotor for it. I was devastated! I didn't have the materials needed to build a rotor at the venue, but I did have the stuff to build a wing for it. To make a long story short, The AG-3 fuselage and tailfeathers got a chance to fly, but with a delta wing attached instead of the rotor. Much to my surprise, it flew about the same as it did with the rotor. Too funny! Check it out in the video...

Gary

AG-3-Delta (1 min 35 sec)
Last edited by sr71fan; May 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old May 24, 2011, 08:41 AM
Always building something...
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Oct 2005
115 Posts

Too Cool!!
engrv7 is offline Find More Posts by engrv7
Old May 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,602 Posts
Gary,

That flew very well! Nice job making the best of an unfortunate situation.

What controls scheme did you use? Turning with wing tilt or with rudder?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old May 25, 2011, 02:41 AM
Joined Mar 2005
46 Posts
Gary

Brilliantly simple! Seems like an extremely docile flyer. I have the same questions as Leadfeather. My AG-3 is already waiting impatiently for the mod.!!!!
If you like, I'd be most happy to adapt the earlier AG-3 plan to this new version and post it here.

Also, Gary, you are an expert (hat)cameraman! Do you use some sort of sight on your hat to keep the subject centered so well?

Willem
WillemII is offline Find More Posts by WillemII
Old May 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Very cool Gary!!!!!!!!
Old May 26, 2011, 12:56 AM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,551 Posts
Stan,

Glad to see you browsing. Thanks!

Leadfeather,

Using both yaw and roll (tilt). Yaw is easier, because it also induces roll. And, as with the rotor, there's an elevator back there on the tail feathers.

Willem,

I had to add a guide pin to the rotor mast, so the wing would not rotate. When I want to fly the rotor, I shim it up where it will clear the pin using a piece of fuel tubing and a washer. See photos. I do have a sight on my hat camera. It is simply some excess wire tie bent straight down in front of my right eye. It still takes quite a bit of concentration to follow the gyro with the sight, and not my eyes. I bore-sight the camera using my Mom's (miss You Mom!) makeup mirror before every photo session. Sometimes I get it all messed-up anyway. Sometimes I get the camera tilted sideways, forget to track it with the sight, or sling the camera off boresight by moving too fast or abruptly. It's a fairly heavy camera to be sitting on the brim of that hat. Photos attached. The wing I made on the spur of the moment has a span of 32.5 inches (825mm) and a root chord of 22 inches (558mm) which would have been 24.5 (622mm) if I had not rounded the front. Oh, BTW, I don't think there's any need for plans. Nobody else would be stupid enough to forget their rotor, would they?

Thanks to all of you for your interest and comments.

Gary
Last edited by sr71fan; May 26, 2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:12 AM
Finland
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Ag...

Hello Gary!

Exelent recovery from lost/forgotten rotorblades!

I was thinking long time a go " What if rotor is break or lost..."

Hey, now i know what to do!
Thanks Gary!

A bit of Depron for repair or wing...

If it fly then it is ok..

It seems to me that slow it goes or is there something "Youtube" thing slowing it down?

Hmm, next weekend we have some tennis hall for rubberband models and after that session we have some free time to test "What ever model"

See what happens

Thanks Gary for tip of top!

Best regards from Finland!

Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71fan View Post
Stan,

Glad to see you browsing. Thanks!

Leadfeather,

Using both yaw and roll (tilt). Yaw is easier, because it also induces roll. And, as with the rotor, there's an elevator back there on the tail feathers.

Willem,

I had to add a guide pin to the rotor mast, so the wing would not rotate. When I want to fly the rotor, I shim it up where it will clear the pin using a piece of fuel tubing and a washer. See photos. I do have a sight on my hat camera. It is simply some excess wire tie bent straight down in front of my right eye. It still takes quite a bit of concentration to follow the gyro with the sight, and not my eyes. I bore-sight the camera using my Mom's (miss You Mom!) makeup mirror before every photo session. Sometimes I get it all messed-up anyway. Sometimes I get the camera tilted sideways, forget to track it with the sight, or sling the camera off boresight by moving too fast or abruptly. It's a fairly heavy camera to be sitting on the brim of that hat. Photos attached. The wing I made on the spur of the moment has a span of 32.5 inches (825mm) and a root chord of 22 inches (558mm) which would have been 24.5 (622mm) if I had not rounded the front. Oh, BTW, I don't think there's any need for plans. Nobody else would be stupid enough to forget their rotor, would they?

Thanks to all of you for your interest and comments.

Gary
Autorotator is offline Find More Posts by Autorotator
Old May 26, 2011, 11:48 AM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,551 Posts
Kari,

What I see on YouTube is the correct speed. It slows down nicely. Lots of area on those deltas.

Gary
Old May 27, 2011, 07:53 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,602 Posts
Gary,

Do you think the delta would work with small fins and no guide pin?

Dan
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather