Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:35 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillemII View Post
Boneswamped,

By the way, your profile Kellett is SO cool! I have started on a depron version, keeping Gary's AG3 principles as a guide... Ofcourse, there will be rotor tilt fore and aft too.
I'll keep you informed!

Willem
Looking forward to your progress Willem. Do you have a pdf for the drawing you posted? I would like to have a copy of it if you do. Good luck with the build.

-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:11 PM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
nearly there,just the electronics and motor to fit.
mintie is offline Find More Posts by mintie
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:34 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,688 Posts
Looking really nice Graeme! Looks like you've got the foamie bug. We'll know for sure when you start trading in the fuelie stuff for brushless motors, esc's, and foam. LOL Just teasing!

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:25 PM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
All finished and ready for the test flight...sat it outside in the wind and the rotors started to spin up. Finished wt came out at 216 gms.
I have to agree Ken the foam is a different concept in modelling and I am enjoying the builds that I have been doing,but will not replace my large nitro models.
The foam models allows me to walk to the park/lake and fly and keep my hand in.
This gyro is going to be an interesting model to fly.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:43 PM
Finland
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Ag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintie View Post
All finished and ready for the test flight...sat it outside in the wind and the rotors started to spin up. Finished wt came out at 216 gms.
I have to agree Ken the foam is a different concept in modelling and I am enjoying the builds that I have been doing,but will not replace my large nitro models.
The foam models allows me to walk to the park/lake and fly and keep my hand in.
This gyro is going to be an interesting model to fly.

Hello

I have tested ( Always tested at unfinished project... ) AG with 285g ( 3S 850 Lipo)weight and it still flyes so nice and smooth. Landings is a little hard but if you use a little throttle before it hits to the ground then nothing breaks away.

AG is very good model and it fly so nice.

Only weak point is that depron rotor. I have some blade destruction at mid air
and then it is nice wobbly landings

Best regards

Kari
Autorotator is offline Find More Posts by Autorotator
Old May 01, 2010, 02:12 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
YES it flys......did a hand launch with it, seemed very little rotor speed and it just lifted out of my hand and flew away...I have heaps more power than needed and it flew on about 1/3 throttle.First flight got dsioriantated and had to land.next flight just flew around my self and had fun....It flys really nice....One problem showed up, the rotors vibrated heaps,the whole machine was shaking.....Do the rotors have to track as good as with a heli. sorry no pics forgot to take the cam.....tried to fly before dark and just got in. cheers.
Old May 01, 2010, 05:32 PM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
solved the problem....made up a new head out of laminated depron.Nice and stiff now then mounted the blades back on with the bearing tube....Took out again this morning and it flew perfect....no vibrations at all. Had two flights of 5.46 mins. So now ready for photo time next flights.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:51 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
dead thread ....are we going to close this chapter as well.???????
Old May 19, 2010, 11:23 AM
Joined Mar 2005
46 Posts
The thread has gone a bit quiet, but I follow every bit of it! So let's keep it alive!
Nice to see that your AG-3 is flying well, Mintie, Looks like you did not have much of a problem, other than the rotor vibs, which are solved now. To me this shows again the sound design of the AG-3. It just flies straight off the building board!
Have much fun with it!
And to all other modellers looking for a simple-to-build, very-interesting, and extremely-fun-to-fly model: go and build the AG-3 and write up your experience in this thread. You won't be sorry!

Willem
WillemII is online now Find More Posts by WillemII
Old May 19, 2010, 12:16 PM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
I should be starting mine soon, gathering equipment as I write.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old May 20, 2010, 01:24 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
willem11 .. good the thread is alive again...I have in the past always hand launched my AG-3,but in the weekend decided to try a run on the ground....not much luck there as it went a few meters then flicked onto its side, breaking the hinges off the mast head. All repaired now and ready for another try.

mintie
Old May 28, 2010, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2005
46 Posts
Mintie, I cut the mast hinge out of a tyvek envelope and glue it onto the depron, then the 1mm ply onto the tyvek. Virtually indestructible!

Willem
Old May 29, 2010, 05:22 PM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
Willem11 .. as you can see from the last pics that I posted ,I glued my hinges onto the ply. under normal conditions that is fine. But it has now turned to a a break point but that is good, as the whole rotorhead and body separate and no damage. Mintie
Old Jun 05, 2010, 01:55 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
out again tonight and got in two more flights. On the second flight I mounted my video cam and did some movie.Not as good on the gyro as the prop is in the way.
The gyro flew really good ,nice and slow and in real close .Quite a neat machine to fly.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2005
46 Posts
Good to see that you had your AG-3 flying succesfully, Mintie. In the mean time mine is all battered up from some more and some less succesful tests with 2 and 3 blade rotors of varying diameter. So far, I prefer the 3 blade with 33 cm blades.

I am in the process of putting together an AG-4, but as I go along I see a need so change some things in the plan, such as not using 3 mm carbon tubing for the landing gear, but 3 mm solid rod. Also changed the radial dummy setup somewhat. The AG-4 is an optically adapted version of the AG-3, so there should not be much difference in flying it.

Happy gyrating!
Willem