SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2010, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
35 Posts
ag3-2l sorta

i am so excited i finally bit the bullet and bought some 3mm midwest cell foam today and built a cross set of blades,kinda from what i started and s71fans design for my leadfeather's apache i could never get air born, but it was already dark out for test flight but it lifted off after about 50ft running down my drive way.at last i have never seen that before and can't wait for Friday evening to get here
deisel1 is offline Find More Posts by deisel1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2010, 08:23 PM
Joined Feb 2010
35 Posts
yippee it flys
Old Apr 02, 2010, 10:41 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,561 Posts
Luke,

I enjoyed the video (and music)! Thanks for posting.

Deisel1,

Congratulations! Glad to hear that it flies.

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Apr 03, 2010, 05:03 PM
Joined Mar 2005
46 Posts
I too had a chance to do some more flying with my AG3. Winds still terribly unpredictable, and very turbulent. But, as I know by now, no problem for the little gyro! Flying buddy DirkIII made the small video for me.

Happy Easter everybody!

Willem

J-AG3, another flight (1 min 46 sec)
WillemII is offline Find More Posts by WillemII
Old Apr 03, 2010, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2005
46 Posts
Luke and Deisel, nice to read that your AG3's fly too. But, really, what else to expect from such a wonderful design? I have been playing with r/c autogyro's for many years now, some came out being more succesful than others, but Gary's AG3 has been by far the most predictable and succesful autogyro to date!
Old Apr 04, 2010, 08:13 AM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
Nice flying Willem, looks like you're having a ball.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:45 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
599 Posts
finally started

I spent a couple of hrs tonight and got all the bits cut out. Tower and elevator glued on ... need to get a bit more carbon rod and some larger wheels...have all the rest .will try and get finished between other projects.
Going by other posts this is going to be a bit of fun.
My rego will be ZK SAG [simple auto gyro]
mintie is offline Find More Posts by mintie
Old Apr 07, 2010, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
35 Posts
i got the apache flying so i thought i would give yours a go,need one more servo and install all my electronics and she will be ready
Old Apr 09, 2010, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2005
46 Posts
I noticed I have to give quite a bit of 'up' elevator on my AG3 while turning. Rather than mixing this in on my Tx, I thought I'd slant down the rotor head hinge line. This way, as the head tilts sideways, it also tilts back somewhat, effectively giving 'up' on the rotor disk. Look at it like a delta hinge, like on some rotor blades...
Does this make any sense to you guys?

Also, I'd like to show how I measure the hang angle. The rotor shaft line is drawn on the fuselage. You can barely see it in the picture. I stick a toothpick or a pin right below the rotor shaft. The thread with the weight shows me the approximate angle when I hold the gyro at the end of the rotor shaft...

Willem
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:51 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
599 Posts
question..on the plan it shows 2 mm carbon rod taped to the rotor blade leading edges.
I have some 3x.05mm flat carbon, would that be useable and have enough flex to allow the blades to cone when in flight, or perhaps be a bit stiff. cheers.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:35 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillemII View Post
I noticed I have to give quite a bit of 'up' elevator on my AG3 while turning. Rather than mixing this in on my Tx, I thought I'd slant down the rotor head hinge line. This way, as the head tilts sideways, it also tilts back somewhat, effectively giving 'up' on the rotor disk. Look at it like a delta hinge, like on some rotor blades...
Does this make any sense to you guys?

Also, I'd like to show how I measure the hang angle. The rotor shaft line is drawn on the fuselage. You can barely see it in the picture. I stick a toothpick or a pin right below the rotor shaft. The thread with the weight shows me the approximate angle when I hold the gyro at the end of the rotor shaft...

Willem
Any word on the effectiveness of your hinge idea yet? Looks to be a sound method to me. Nice work.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined Mar 2005
46 Posts
Mintie,

have you thought of cutting a slot in the LE of your rotor blade, then push the flat carbon in? I wouldn't even glue it, just tape it. Your blades would be about a foot or so, so I can't see much of a problem with over flexing.
Just make sure that for the maiden flight your rotor head is slightly tilted to the right (on electric gyros we always fight the propeller torc, not the rotor torc!)
Like Gary said, the tip of the rotor shaft should be in the centerline of the rotor mast on this one. Also, keep your rotor tilt very small: 1/4" to each side is more than enough. Even then, give it some 60-70% expo. Rudder also 60% expo if you like, withe 3/4" each way. Elevator as much as you can get up, down till you hit the floor. It also helps if you mix in some rudder with rotor tilt (=aileron)
Good luck!

Boneswamped,

Lots of work last week, so the building on the AG4 has stopped for a few days. As soon as the maiden flight has been done, I'll report.

Willem
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined Mar 2005
46 Posts
Boneswamped,

By the way, your profile Kellett is SO cool! I have started on a depron version, keeping Gary's AG3 principles as a guide... Ofcourse, there will be rotor tilt fore and aft too.
I'll keep you informed!

Willem
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:16 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
599 Posts
Sorry guys another question.As this is my first gyro still feeling my way along.
How are all the blades held onto the two rotor disc.? thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:21 AM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,745 Posts
I used hot-glue. (Glue-gun glue.)

~Luke
IAD is offline Find More Posts by IAD