HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2003, 09:42 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
What's a good mod for TM landing gear?

Hello,

I've had my GWS Tigermoth for a long while. It is a superb plane in my opinion. But, the landing gear is too fragile and weak. Does anyone know of a good mod for the gear? I have small DuBro mini Lite wheels and I could really use a thicker landing gear wire. What is an appropriate size? Plus, my DuBro wheels are somewhat small in comparison to the stock GWS. Is this a problem?

Any info or pics would be great!

Thanks,

Max-Q
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2003, 09:57 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Hey Max,
Welcome to the ezone!!!! There is a wealth of knowledge and hours and hours of reading ahead of you.

Basketcase has some of the best info, so go get some popcorn and something to drink, then do a search on his name....
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Mar 18, 2003, 11:49 PM
Wollongong, Australia
Joined Feb 2003
75 Posts
Hi Max,
I made new gear using the next largest size wire, I think it was 0.055" (versus stock 0.047"). Find the Basketcase thread and put a kink in the top of the gear as illustrated so you can remove the gear without disturbing the motor wiring. After mounting the gear I tied a small electrical cable tie around the two legs to stop them spreading apart on landing. Then I looped a rubber band over each leg, which I then routed back over the pegs that the wing securing rubber bands go over. That stops the gear falling out! Hope this helps. I also use DuBro foam wheels about 1.5" from memory.
Regards, Bernie.
bernie01 is offline Find More Posts by bernie01
Old Mar 19, 2003, 07:16 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
Thanks guys,

This EZone forum is great!
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Old Mar 19, 2003, 08:45 PM
Sevier County, East Tennessee
Joined Oct 2001
481 Posts
Hello Max, welcome to the E Zone!

I've had my Tiger Moth for two years now and everything is original except I'm on my second motor, what a great plane. bernie01 is right on.

- get some .05 or .06 wire and bend your own
- put a "V" in the top for wires to pass through
- put something around the wires to stop the spreading
- make the gear removable (press fit, rubber band, etc.) for easy transportation
-small wheels aren't a problem on hard surfaces.

I used Trexler inflatables at first and the balloon wheels really helped grease in the landing but inflating every time became tiresome(I had to say it) so I switched to what you see in the picture--Dave Brown Lites (1 3/8" diameter)

Good luck!
CADman is offline Find More Posts by CADman