SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:50 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
fnnwizard, basically you have to play elevator trim all the time - on steer with elevator... It depends a little on personal style, but there are no "special" elevator trim settings for that ultimate floating glide (that you can use only oin very calm weather).

In normal weather, just let your Aspire move around with neutral trailing edge. Add 2mm camber when you want to slow down. However, I do normal thermalling very often with neutral trailing edge. More speed -> better control -> more efficient climb.

Aspire can be slown down very much without actually stalling it. But this bad for performance
Yep, I found that out Tuomo. I run 761 on the ele and am going back to: Jr 3421, 3517, or Z3650. I have my reasons .

I didn't really have trouble making time. It was just that I couldn't fly smooth because the ele sometimes was off by 1mm around center. And my landings were ok. Here's a picture of my score card.

My first flight when I pull flaps it dove like a preying eagle. Look at the flight log and was bad crosswind landing.

My 3rd flight I flew 1 ft directly over the nail and totally missed... I don't know how, why other than my vision is not the best.

My last flight, there was someone walking directly in my landing path with Ava in hand... 17 seconds to go with plane at about shoulder height, heading into some wind I either hit the guy or dump the plane ... The end result speaks for itself I guess .

Next time baby, next time....
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Feb 22, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:38 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
Gotta love that Aspire.

Guys, I just have to wave the Aspire flag here.

Man, I love flying my Aspire.

I have been flying my 2nd Aspire for quite a while now, and from all that I have seen and flown against, it rocks. The airfoils are designed by Andreas Herrig. The target performance is for the glider to be very good in minimum sink conditions, especially for the early morning and late evening flat conditions. MY model is not the light layup. I have the normal layup version, and all I can say is that I really do not feel at all handicapped at those times of the day.

When you get right down to it, there are a few models on the market that are quite equivalent in performance. For anyone to post that this or that model is better than another is as most of you know simply a matter of opinion. The coolest thing about these days in the sport is that one can go out and buy a world class model from Bob, Skip, or Larry, and know that the contest outcome now solely rests in your own skills. Cool huh.

For me the Aspire, and the High End make a pretty great pair of RC soaring tools, that are fun, exciting, and easy to fly.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more Aspires taking the win in the future.

Cheers,

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
I have to ring the Aspire bell too, at least publicly anyway. I have an email draft floating around for thanking Lubos and Larry for this great soaring tool. I am a relatively new pilot soaring pilot compared to some of those that have posted above. I say that because I come from a slope and then F3B background. I don't take it easy on my planes, and I have never had too. The Aspire has to be the strongest plane I have flown. I never hold back and always try to maximize my launch. I never have to think about how strong the head wind is. This thing is bulletproof. If I am ever tapping, I am taking it easy on the winch, not my plane.

Thanks Lubos and Larry. I look forward to your future products as I will be a long time customer.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:25 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
Testimonial time?

I agree with you. Been flying Aspire since 2007 and I think it is the best combo of robust structure and sweet handling. It floats surprisingly well, partly thanks to large wing area - 80dm2 is the same area as 4m Explorer. Circling is effortless and it does quite well even when flown badly.

It took me some time to learn how to fly it in wind. In moderate air Aspire has good penetration even without ballast. Maybe little better than Perfect... But when wind really pics up, don't shy to fill up the tube. Ballast will take you back home even from that thermal far downwind.

There are still tricks to learn with Aspire. I am working with some hush hush secret elevator modifications, and I also want to improve my launch performance. Aspire launches very easy and reliably, but because of large size tall zooms take some effort.

Sometimes I also miss the v-tail. My first Aspire was v-tail and it was so sweet flying machine! Better elevator control than the x-tail. Unfortunately transport issues favour x-tail over one piece v-tail Aspire x-tail fuse is also better design than v-tail was. But perhaps the tide will turn also in F3J... Aspire eVo with two piece v-tail, Please Lubos...
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:50 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,215 Posts
The Aspire is an incredible launcher for sure!!!! Not a hint of flex in the bucket/zoom. I have gone through a lot of planes and will agree that the Aspire has been one of the best launchers for me so far.

Too bad I did not have a logger in when Target help me test with an F3B winch last Friday... about 2-3 seconds on tow and it was gone...though the wind helped.

I am very comfortable with Xplorer, but now, after having really flown my Aspire... Let's just say I'm very glad to have picked up a backup .

Oh btw,
Aspire 80dm2
3.8X 81.5dm2
4.0X 86.7 dm2
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:59 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,810 Posts
Thanks Mike, Dave, and Tuomo,
The Aspire is a very sweet combination of Super Design, Perfomance, Handling, and Superior Craftsmanship. Ben and I did a bunch of testing and when it comes down to it, We preferred the capabilities of the Aspire over the other models in this class. The Big News is that for the US the model is AVAILABLE on a regular basis. Lubos and I are working on 3-4 shipments a year, and you can have your choice of colors. The Aspire is an extreme value considering the quality and level of fabrication. I should let you know that there are some some updates in the works including new Composite materials options, and I am hoping I can get Lubos to do an Electro Fuse. I love the way the Aspire runs and circles, it is a really sweet ride. Congratulations to the winners and many Thanks to all the Aspire flyers at SWC, and Special Thanks to Lubos for making the Aspire available in the US. Larry Jolly
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,215 Posts
Here are some of the Aspire pilots at the SWC... where were you Dave?!?!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:16 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
I don't know. You guys didn't give me a heads up.

but looking at the picture makes me want to go fly
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:31 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
I am now totally disappointed... I wish they had a nice ASPIRE across the top of the wing... so I could change the A to an X for a certain individual... I guess I'll have to order the vinyl for the whole thing...

After watching them fly and looking them over closely... My next one may be an Xspire... VERY nice...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:38 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I am now totally disappointed... I wish they had a nice ASPIRE across the top of the wing... so I could change the A to an X for a certain individual... I guess I'll have to order the vinyl for the whole thing...

After watching them fly and looking them over closely... My next one may be an Xspire... VERY nice...

Jack
Here Jack,

You can start working on your vendetta project right now. But you know, since the "name mod" game has been played, you might consider something a little more original

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:41 PM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
Houston
Joined Dec 2006
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Here Jack,

You can start working on your vendetta project right now. But you know, since the "name mod" game has been played, you might consider something a little more original

Mike
That will give something for Jack to Aspire to
gliding Oz is online now Find More Posts by gliding Oz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:43 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
I'm workin' on it...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 24, 2010, 01:27 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Thanks Mike, Dave, and Tuomo,
The Aspire is a very sweet combination of Super Design, Perfomance, Handling, and Superior Craftsmanship. Ben and I did a bunch of testing and when it comes down to it, We preferred the capabilities of the Aspire over the other models in this class. The Big News is that for the US the model is AVAILABLE on a regular basis. Lubos and I are working on 3-4 shipments a year, and you can have your choice of colors. The Aspire is an extreme value considering the quality and level of fabrication. I should let you know that there are some some updates in the works including new Composite materials options, and I am hoping I can get Lubos to do an Electro Fuse. I love the way the Aspire runs and circles, it is a really sweet ride. Congratulations to the winners and many Thanks to all the Aspire flyers at SWC, and Special Thanks to Lubos for making the Aspire available in the US. Larry Jolly
You are lucky now

I am also in a process of getting electro fuse for my Aspire. It should come together with my new double carbon Aspire... I have not discussed with Lubos about the details of the fuse, but I am sure Aspire will bake a good base for e-setup, because it is not very weight sensitive.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:53 AM
Centreville, VA
Joined Apr 2009
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post

My first flight when I pull flaps it dove like a preying eagle. Look at the flight log and was bad crosswind landing.
Dived. Dove is a bird.
Frank Stickle is offline Find More Posts by Frank Stickle
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:44 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stickle View Post
Dived. Dove is a bird.
Hahaha... I knew it looked weird when I typed it... but according to the Dictionary, in North America, it is ok to use either dived or dove, though in writing, under "Old English", dived is preferred over dove.

In the UK, only dived is used. Go figured that .

I'll share some info... at 6 years old, having been thrust into 1st grade, I couldn't speak nor read a word of English. I can still remember in 4th and 5th grade that I was a very slow reader. By the time I got to 7 grade however, I was in honors reading class due to... get this... reading 1960-70's R/C Modeler magazine that a neighbor threw away over the previous couple years.

I never had to worry about getting anything less than an "A" in any English or Compositions class again. But, during the last couple of years, I have noticed that I sometimes need to ask my wife to verify some of my spelling.