http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004511
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:30 PM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccleave
So guys, where are you all getting the Aspire from? Before I ordered my Orca from Skip Miller Models I tried to order an Aspire and was told that they were not going to be built anymore. Now I see that several of you have already received them or will real soon. I am sure I will love my Orca when it gets here but the plane I really wanted was the Aspire. Inquiring minds want to know.

See Ya,

Pat
I wanted to give you guys a heads up. Lubos has shipped a Box of Aspires to San Diego. I have a few extra airplanes, and if you are interested in this hard to get Glider you should contact me soon. Send mail to LJolly@aol.com. thanks Larry[/QUOTE]

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Mar 04, 2009, 01:33 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Please note the info in the above post is 10 days old. - all those Aspires are sold.
ClayH is online now Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Mar 04, 2009, 04:02 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
I just spoke with Mr. Jolly before he was getting on a plane bound for Turkey, he will be away from email for a little more than a week, we got to talking about flying the Aspire last Sunday, he said if anyone wants an Aspire to go ahead and email him and they will be put on the list for the next batch when they arrive sometime in the future, I thought I understood something like 15 more will be ordered. They are quite a remarkable aircraft, with 2 handlaunches on Sunday, Larry climbed up and away in a thermal, and the custom LJ color scheme is quite attractive. I want one but can't get it since I have an Italian vacation planned this summer and got no airplane $$$$$
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:21 PM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
What happened to this build thread? Did you spill acetone on it? Dog eat it? Everything ok?

I was about to order one now I'm worried that it turns to dust when you get it wet or something........

BK
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:42 AM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belouder
What happened to this build thread? Did you spill acetone on it? Dog eat it? Everything ok?

I was about to order one now I'm worried that it turns to dust when you get it wet or something........

BK
Word on the street is Tuan has sold the Aspire for a new Lawn Mower with RDS

sj
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:50 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe101
Word on the street is Tuan has sold the Aspire for a new Lawn Mower with RDS

sj

Now THAT's a good one....

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:58 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belouder

BK
I was debating on doing RDS or not and decided to shelve the plane for now and work on my number 2 Xplorer which is getting the full RDS treatment.

The Aspire is such an easy build that there should be no trouble getting it together. I would estimate about 2 hours if one has done any assembly work before.

I may just pull it down and finish her up conventionally by this weekend.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:59 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,397 Posts
Do eeet.

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Yes, do eet! Can't wait to see our gaggle of red Aspires , you, Tom W., Larry and me all flying the same scheme.

Clay
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:00 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,203 Posts
OK, this is what I am going to do. Since all the wiring is already installed in the wing for the Ail servos, I will RDS just the flaps. Very easy and no additional cutting of wing skin.

The slop of Ail should be nil with conventional setup.

That should make everyone happy including me... well, not 100% but close enough I guess.

I'll start on the drawing tonight.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 03:30 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Tuan,

Quote:
I may just pull it down and finish her up conventionally by this weekend
I see dead people... and they say you'll never be happy with another plane if I it doesn't have RDS. Why don't you go back and retrofit your Shadow, Perfect(s), Ceres and see if they fly any better? Demons, serious demons

Clay
Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:42 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH
Tuan,

I see dead people... and they say you'll never be happy with another plane if I it doesn't have RDS. Why don't you go back and retrofit your Shadow, Perfect(s), Ceres and see if they fly any better? Demons, serious demons

Clay
Better technology has never protected human against demons. You need theraphy ;-)
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:50 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,203 Posts
LOL Clay, I am almost ready and willing to sell the Shadow, Perfects, Ceres, Zenith, X21, and whatever else is "up there". The only way I can get rid of the demons is to X-RDS them, therefore replacing the fleet with more Aspires, Xplorers, Ceres, and Tangas... all having RDS.

I'm doing some RDS "number crunching" and I think I sold myself on full rds for the Aspire, but using stock locations and wiring. My calc says that if I do RDS correctly, a 30oz/in servo would be sufficient to drive the Aspire AIL +- 24 degrees up to 100mph .

Not that we'd ever go that fast or use that much throw. Maybe more like 11oz/in with 20 degrees AIL @ 60mph ( on launch?)

There would be no slop. 1mm of reflex or camber would be pretty darn close to 1mm and not 0 or 2mm depending on wind and/or flight speed.

Using stock locations, I think the build would "cost" an additional 2-3 hours for me.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard
LOL Clay, I am almost ready and willing to sell the Shadow, Perfects, Ceres, Zenith, X21, and whatever else is "up there". The only way I can get rid of the demons is to X-RDS them, therefore replacing the fleet with more Aspires, Xplorers, Ceres, and Tangas... all having RDS.

I'm doing some RDS "number crunching" and I think I sold myself on full rds for the Aspire, but using stock locations and wiring. My calc says that if I do RDS correctly, a 30oz/in servo would be sufficient to drive the Aspire AIL +- 24 degrees up to 100mph .

Not that we'd ever go that fast or use that much throw. Maybe more like 11oz/in with 20 degrees AIL @ 60mph ( on launch?)

There would be no slop. 1mm of reflex or camber would be pretty darn close to 1mm and not 0 or 2mm depending on wind and/or flight speed.

Using stock locations, I think the build would "cost" an additional 2-3 hours for me.
Tuan,

Have you done any number crunching on any sailplane performance improvement RDS vs stock linkages (Current design linkages) If your doing RDS for the cool factor go for it, but if your going to add (MORE) extra weight to the already 80oz Aspire for a zero factor performance improvement over the stock setup plus the extra hours, I think your efforts are best spent elsewhere like flying and having fun.

sj
Last edited by SmokinJoe101; Mar 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM.