Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,192 Posts
Larry, I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting.
Do you know if Lubos has modifed the flap horns to eliminated the clevis from rubbing the hinge skin when full flaps are deployed?

You can see in my post #4 the 2 pictures of flap deployment and where the clevis touches the hinge. If he could keep the same vertical height of the horn, but move it so that the clevis hole is closer to the servo just 2mm, it would greatly improve the flap setup.

Again, just the flaps need this fixed, the ail are fine.

That naked spread tow with orange stripe is just beautiful!!!!!
Thanks!
Tuan
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:14 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,334 Posts
Dang, why do all the F3X guys get the coolest paint jobs? Sweet looking plane!
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:35 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
I am just finishing my spread tow Aspire. My plane has more conventional painting (mostly orange) than the aspires shown in the pictures in last page. However, the paint is very very thin. One needs to ba careful when sun is shining hot.

Spread tow version seems to fall nicely between disser and c68 Aspires. In hands the spread tow feels just as stiff as the c68. On the other hands weights are quite close to disser. Compared to c68, each wing tip panel is 65g lighter. This is 130g total reduction of weight and inertia in the most critical area of the plane. Difference in low speed handling should significantly bettered.

Spread tow has also (apparently) a new fuselage structure. Maybe this comes with all Aspires now? Anyway boom sides feel very stiff. Aspire fuselage has allways been more tolerant to sideways forces than Perfect fuselage, but the new structure should make it even more robust.

I have not weighted my spread tow, but AUW with robust installation and std size wing servos should be at 2kg. On the dowside spread tow comes without ballast tube. This is good for you weight watchers but I want to use my plane as allrounder. When I have time, I will prepare 2 Pike Perfect style ballast rods of (maybe) 250g and 500g weight. In really heavy weather I will fly my tested c68 or extremely robust double carbon Aspire.

To sum it up, the spreat tow lamination and disser that came out late last summer take Aspire to another level as an all out competition plane. C68 has allways been a top class allrounder but it was little heavy for those floating rounds. Now we the disser that is an all out light weather plane and spread tow that offers 90% of the same, yet not loosing anything in the allround department.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:12 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Here come some pictures... As the center panel is still not finished, I am waiting for epoxy to cure, there are no pictures of the full plane.

My target AUW is at 2kg. Proven "full size" equipment throughout the installation. Futaba 3150 at ailerons, Grp DS3288 at flaps, large Graupner elevator servo and DS3068 in rudder. I also laminated small batches of extra carbon under flap servos.

I have casted a 100g noseweight, of which I can drill out a little. Rx batt is 4x Eneloops (diamond shape) and rx is 8 ch Jeti Duplex. Aspire fuselage has plenty of space. To prevent equipment from moving around, one has to stuff some epp blocks between batt and rx.

I still think that the most remarkable thing in this plane are the spread tow tip panels. Stiff, yet 65g less weight than c68 tip panel! I have never had real problems with the 2250g AUW of c68 Aspire, the light tips are an obvious advantage. Now we can have allround strength Aspire with the dlg like handling of the disser version!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 06:31 PM
New Mexico
Joined Mar 2004
430 Posts
Great pictures. Maybe after you get your ballast set up you could include a picture of that.

Bruce T.
Bruce T. is online now Find More Posts by Bruce T.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:02 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce T. View Post
Great pictures. Maybe after you get your ballast set up you could include a picture of that.
Thanks. I must think a little about the implementation of ballast system. Just to get it absolutely right... I already have material for the heavy rod, need to cut it to right length and prepare hole for fixing screw, but for the light one I need to do some shopping in local metal store.

Later yesterday evening I finished the center panel and weighted everything. Center panel has Graupner DS3288 servos in frames. To make it absolutely bulletproof I had laminated batches of extra carbon under servos. Carbon also protects wing skin in case I ever have to dig out the frames. The extra weight is minimal. I also fixed flap servos to bottom skin with plywood strip.

With arbitrary 100g nose weight (take out from an Aspire I totalled in midair) my plane weights 2025g ready to go. I will propably drill out some nose weight in the trimming process. I think we can say this is a 2kg Aspire

1950g is realistic target weight for those of you who want to use smaller aileron and rudder servos. I did not go that route because I have a disser, and in active air I anyway like to fly little heavyer plane. For ballasting options 250g and 500g is enough for moderate winds. I have no doubts about the stiffness of spread tow wing, but in really havy winds it is propably safer to fly a plane with more robust lamination.

Now I go flying Unfortunately no flying pictures, since I will be alone.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:14 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Do you know if Lubos has modifed the flap horns to eliminated the clevis from rubbing the hinge skin when full flaps are deployed?

You can see in my post #4 the 2 pictures of flap deployment and where the clevis touches the hinge. If he could keep the same vertical height of the horn, but move it so that the clevis hole is closer to the servo just 2mm, it would greatly improve the flap setup.
I checked this while setting the flaps of my spread tow. I think you could try the sraight flap pushrods even with current flap horn setup. It all depends on how you set up the servos... Using short servo arms and setting them so that arms rotate well aft (and "up") will help pushrod clearing the hinge line. You mabe have to limit flap movement a little.

The wing pushrods Lubos provides are top quality. They take hard beating without bending or breaking. When I got my first Aspire I was doubtfull about the not stratight flap pushrods, but in practice they are surprisingly good. Flap link is stiff at launch camber and flexes without braking anything in flaps down landings.

Anyway, with the 80dm2 planes like Aspire and 4m Xplorer we have come to the limit of current flap likages. One can make the link more robust and change servos to next size larger, but I think the smart thing is to move to rds linkage. Limiting flap movement to (say) 75 degrees is a small price to pay for the overall robustness and zero blow back of rds link.

Now I go flying
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:02 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quick report after short testing session with bungee. I ended up flying this baby without measuring CG, relying on the "guestimate" 100g nose weight. Well... When test flying I needed to tape plenty of weight to tail boom in front of rudder. Probably need to take 30-35g away from nose... Very nice to have this plane slightly under 2kg AUW

Maybe I go flying also tomorrow. After that next stop Dupnitsa, Bulgaria eurotour. We have two days for testing and practising in Dupnitsa before the competition. Forecast looks like light(ish) winds, so both the disser and spread tow will probaly be used. My third plane is regular two seasons old c68 Aspire.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:27 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
I am impressed that they were able to remove 14g from the tails of the new version compared to earlier.
That is a huge weight savings, 1/2oz in non-metric terms.
Nice!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:16 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,771 Posts
Target,
Lubos has been experimenting with light weight tail strucures. Tuomos probably has a sandwich contructed tail boom. The model will get lighter with the possibilities of a ST fuselage. Regardless a sub 70 ounce Aspire is a very good model. I will see Tuomo this weekend in Bulgaria. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:47 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Safe Travels to you.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:59 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Target,
Lubos has been experimenting with light weight tail strucures. Tuomos probably has a sandwich contructed tail boom. The model will get lighter with the possibilities of a ST fuselage. Regardless a sub 70 ounce Aspire is a very good model. I will see Tuomo this weekend in Bulgaria. LJ
The new light structures extend the scope or Aspire very nicely. The C68 and double carbon laminations are more dynamic to fly and suit better active air/wind. The sub 2kg spread tow and disser versions are in their element in light winds and in floating conditions.

For those looking for allround F3J plane I still recommend the C68. Maybe ask for the lighter tail... C68 Aspire is one of the few F3J planes that can be flown effectively from calm floating conditions up to the 12m/s FAI wind limit.

Bulgaria is an enjoyable competition. Larry has a good chance to get to the podium. I have my planes in well trimmed, but thanks to our long and arctic winter, I am still very rusty with my landings
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:39 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Maybe I should just practice with the one I have instead of springing for the ST version. Brian

[QUOTE=Tuomo;18066229]For those looking for allround F3J plane I still recommend the C68.
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:21 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,771 Posts
Brian the Aspire is a capable design in any of its forms. Have you flown yours??? How is it going, does the Aspire suit your flying style??
Dupnitsa Bulgaria tonight LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:33 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Aspire

I have about 12 flights on my Aspire. I have been sorting thru it and my PP ET and my X's and it is "the" keeper. ;o) Thanks Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Brian the Aspire is a capable design in any of its forms. Have you flown yours??? How is it going, does the Aspire suit your flying style??
Dupnitsa Bulgaria tonight LJ
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith