Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 05, 2010, 02:49 PM
Joined Apr 2010
8 Posts
fly off

hey Larry what about the purposed fly off...
Top Kart is offline Find More Posts by Top Kart
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2010, 04:29 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Larry - How can I place my order? Could you clarify what is available color/scheme wise?
Please let me know!!!!

thanks,

jack ~
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old May 06, 2010, 02:32 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
link to the conversion Aspire F3J on electro Aspire http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1239669
fly-up85 is offline Find More Posts by fly-up85
Old May 17, 2010, 07:40 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
864 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. Finally got the borrowed Aspire out yesterday and immediately felt comfortable with it. Really impressed by how well it covers the sky. Spent a bit of time playing with rudder only turns and was quite surprised how a big model did with them.. Its very nicely balanced and I look forward to getting some time on it before the F3J WC's.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:34 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
864 Posts
OK, anyone got the wing and tail areas for this thing? I need to know for my FAI certificate for the worlds next week.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:38 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,174 Posts
This might help: http://www.f3j.cz/aspire.htm

The gif at least has the measurements that will allow you to get close.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
Wing: 79.9
Stab: 8.48 (best est.)
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:12 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant View Post
Wing: 79.9
Stab: 8.48 (best est.)
Yep, wing is 79.92 sq. dm per manufacturer data and stab should be very close to 8.48 sq dm.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:50 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,174 Posts
Flew my new Aspire today. No pics yet, but this is the same scheme.

Only got in some bungee time today, but I liked the way it felt in the air. Very solid plane. A "locked in" feeling that reminded me of my pattern planes. Just went wherever I pointed it.

Mine is 81 ounces right now, but I will likely take a smidge of weight out of the nose. So it is at 9.4 oz/ft2 for now. Doesn't feel like it. Feels very light and nimble.

Futaba 3150 on R/E/F, 3155 on aileron. Futaba 14MZ FASST with a R617FS RX and a 2S 1,450 mAh Hyperion LiFePO4 pack (unregulated).

CG is aft of the LE and forward of the TE. Hook is on the bottom of the fuse under the wing.

The plane feels like a winner to me. Plus the fit and finish is second to none. Most of the work is also done for you. All you need to do is screw in your R/E servos and glue on the pushrod ends at the servo. Fuse is now done.

In the wing you cut the holes in the TE sub-spar for the linkages and glue in your servos and attach the linkages. Wing is done. Wiring harness is installed as well.

Balance it and you are ready to fly.

I'm looking forward to its first contest this Sunday at the SC2 in Thousand Oaks.

I'll take some photos when I can.

Thanks Larry
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:08 AM
Joined Mar 2005
174 Posts
CG is aft of the LE and forward of the TE. Hook is on the bottom of the fuse under the wing.

LOL,

Ron
Ronald Mong is offline Find More Posts by Ronald Mong
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:06 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,768 Posts
Yesterday the El Dorado gang put in several hours of testing on the latest versions of the Aspire. I test flew my new standard layup model full carbon model that finished out at 79 ounces. Ben tested his new Orange Disser Aspire the twin of my model. His finished out at just over 69 ounces. Ben spent the afternoon throwing his new Open Class Hand Launch model out time after time. I did some trading around and now have a standard center panel, and tail combined with a lite fuse and disser tips. This model weighs in at 72 ounces and is in my opinion the most capable of my Aspires. We launched the models in the wind on Tuans winch and my initial concerns on the lite weights proved overyly cautious. They are stiff and did not flutter even though I did some deep dives. I am getting ready to take orders for these new versions.
LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Aug 27, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:46 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,174 Posts
Damn you LJ, my brand new plane is already obsolete!!

(BTW - where does the line form for one of these? In sexy orange of course!!)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:06 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,176 Posts
I got to fly both of LJ's plane and I don't know how he flies so smoothly with such far back CG on the orange one. But the Red one with just the disser tips, the way he had it setup, was oh so nice to fly for me. Very very nice!

Larry while I'm on the subject of flap linkages on another thread, I had mentioned this to you a while back but don't think you understood what I was talking about, I drew a picture for yo and Lubos. I also talked to Ben about it yesterday and I think he agreed.

The way the flap horns are positioned could be improved a little. The way it is now, it sits in-line with the hingline when deflected 90 degrees (red horn drawn in the picture). If somehow the horn could be positioned so that the hole for the clevis is even just 2-3mm towards the LE when in section this equates to 2-3mm above the hingeline when deflected at 90 (green horn in picture), the result is stiffer flaps when deflected max and clevis not rubbing the hingeline and less stress on hinge skin.

Hopefully the picture illustrates this more clearly. Not sure how easy or hard it would be for them to adjust this.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:14 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,768 Posts
Tuan,
Thanks for the very astute observation. I will send this on to Lubos, and ask him to incorporate the swept forward Horn position. We are always looking to improve the Aspire. Keep those hints coming. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:23 PM
KC6ZZS
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
Damn you LJ, my brand new plane is already obsolete!!

(BTW - where does the line form for one of these? In sexy orange of course!!)

No, it's not obsolete. I went flying Monday for an hour or so of dead-air practice with my 81 ounce Aspire. First launch at 0800 (I meant to get there an hour earlier, but you know how that goes) yielded an 11 minute flight from a 75 meter winch. Some very light air. Next 2 flights were 15 min each. By 0900 there was lift you could circle in, but that's too easy, so I called it a day.

I test flew my new Aspire (my 81 ouncer is also new) yesterday. Full Disser wing layup and light fuselage. Weight was 69.4 oz. It was a while before I winch towed it because I was having so much fun hand launching it. It was afternoon, so it was already a little breezy. Perfect weather for the 80 ounce Aspire. Flying the light Aspire was lots of fun because the turn radius was so tight at such a low airspeed. It was like a giant HLG. The low weight also made it very forgiving in a tight turn. You could yank on the stick without running up against the stall. It still ran pretty well in reflex in the wind. OK, the main reason I like it is because I can throw it all day without hurting my shoulder This will be my dead-air (early morning, no lift) plane.

Larry's 73 ounce Aspire with a standard (beefy) center section plane is probably the best overall TD ship. It has all the advantages of the 69 ouncer and the full strength center section will be comforting when launching in the wind (although I didn't notice any "weakness" in mine since nothing was taken out of the spar) and it will certainly be more ding resistant. It's low weight would be great for early morning launches. Even though I've done well in weak conditions with my 80 ounce Aspire, the lighter one is just a bit more forgiving of sloppy flying.

If you already own a standard Aspire, just add the Disser tips to lose 4 ounces. While the lighter weight is nice, you'll more likely notice the improved handling with the lighter tips.

Larry mentioned these different "versions" of the Aspire. Well, it's not a new version of the Aspire, just different layups and weights. Thank god they're still all out of the same old Aspire mold because I really like the airfoil.
Ben Clerx is offline Find More Posts by Ben Clerx